Sourcing Parts for my Hunter23 1986

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Hi All
Winter is very much here in New York and having work done to the H23 that I am very excited about. As such I am searching for a few parts/updates I am hoping the forum members can help find :

- Porto sans (I am not sure of a fitting original in order to find the replacement to order) any fellow owners can let me know the model/part so I can source a fitting replacement??

- Mast Spreaders

- Windows - I see that the shop at hunter owners has them - but at 200plus a piece
that is out of my budget - any suggestions as to more reasonable places to source them?

- Inside Electric switch plate/electrical panel with fuses. I would love to update this as
the lighter port doesn't work as well as the mast light. Power runs to it and the stern/cabin and bow light/ radio works great. Ideally I would like to update it to something more modern with a battery gauge - any recommendations?

This winter's and spring work :
Full interior is getting redone / stripped of all carpet and painted white - new covers to all the interior cushions as well as a new cabin cover and boom cover is also being made. Sails will be mended and washed. I am also trying to see about repainting the exterior.

Thanks everyone!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
He may indeed be looking for a portapotty (which is why I asked), but according to google translate, that's not what "sans porto" means in French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese or German. "Sans" is "without" in French, but "porto" comes up "port" in all of 'em. And "port" is not a synonym for potty in any language.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
My boat is currently sans a pottipotty :) Similar to a sans serif I guess - YES I am indeed looking for a replacement for the party potty for the hunter23. The boat had one when new and I am looking for the model in order to replace it

Volkswatson - awesome on your purchase + restoring of the h23. We bought our last summer and spent every moment we could sailing her. It's my first boat (Ive been sailing j24's in clubs for a few years) and just luv the hunter.

Does the 8Par you bought fit onto the original wood box that house the electronics?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
We kept our Porta Potty under the V berth. We found one that was just a touch shorter than most so we could leave it there even with all cushions installed. I think we found it at a Coleman store.

Aug 30, 2016
Hunter 23 Tyler
My boat is currently sans a pottipotty :) Similar to a sans serif I guess - YES I am indeed looking for a replacement for the party potty for the hunter23. The boat had one when new and I am looking for the model in order to replace it

Volkswatson - awesome on your purchase + restoring of the h23. We bought our last summer and spent every moment we could sailing her. It's my first boat (Ive been sailing j24's in clubs for a few years) and just luv the hunter.

Does the 8Par you bought fit onto the original wood box that house the electronics?
It doesn't fit exactly. I'll have to get creative.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You're not likely to find the identical potty that was original on a 30 yr old boat...'cuz like everything else, mfrs redesign 'em from time to time as technology and materials change/improve. So what you should be looking for is one that fits a suitable space on the boat....which on most smaller boats is under a cushion in or near the bow...this may require removing the lid, but the tank is sealed and cushion covers it except when in use, so that's not really a problem.

Do you want a portable model (tank has to be carried off the boat to empty it) or one that can be pumped out? Thetford and Dometic/SeaLand are the main marine portapotty mfrs and make both types, in both 2.5 gallon and 5.5 gallon sizes. Camper portapotties (portable only and without any hold-down brackets, which could be a problem) are available from Walmart, Sears, Bass Pro Shop...and just about everywhere else that sells camping equipment.

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Thanks Peggie Hall and everyone. I am going to measure that space and likely get 2.5 gal removable porty potty.
There are brackets already into the floor of the vberth where the last potty was - so doubtful I'll find the same model that was in there before - but I'll go for one with lockdown brackets.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@drewsyntax

Right now I am using my phone. Where is the boat located. If in the US I can call and help you as I am too familiar with the boat and others can chime in as to who I am. Send me a private email via forum email.

Spreaders for 23 wing keel is a mast from Keyon Isomat no longer in business itself but under a different ownership but parts are obtainable thru Rig rite. @isaksp00 i think may answer here

You will not find that specific electrical panel but if near a store like west marine replacements can be purchased from Sierra. You will need to see the tag on the bottom of each breaker for the correct amperage. Will might have a suggestion where to go. @dragonfly210 or will can you chirp in. Thanks

Peggie Hall is an expert here too and can confirm it is a Porta Poti. Thank you yoy Young lady for commenting here. You should be able to get the same one with the same brackets.

Before you paint the top sides a few photos please. As for a boat cover not sure what you are talking about but need to be more specific as there are suggestions depending on what you mean here.

As for the windows which ones you want to replace and why. Cracked? Glazed over only? Curved? If flat check with local yards as they might have scrap material for less the cost which you could make yourself but if curved, not so sure.
Crazy dave condon

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
My '91 H23 (winged keel) has a Z-spar mast. I have never had to find parts for the mast. I believe some H23's have the Kenyon mast.
I have never used my porta-potti as we don't cruise. But it is the type that you carry off the boat to empty. I would not think it would be easy to rig a 23 so you could pump it out. Mine fits in the v berth area on the stbd side, right below where the removable berth cushions are - there is a metal bracket on the floor that keeps it from sliding to the port side. I would think any toilet that fits in that space and is not too tall for the cushions would work.