sound proofing material

Jun 14, 2007
Hunter 45cc Florida
After many years of service the white coating on the sound proofing material in the engine compartment is starting to flake off. The underlying foam cushion material is in fine condition. Has any one come up with a product to renew the white coating that will stick and hold up to the higher temps of the engine compartment. I have been experimenting with "flex seal" but not sure if it will hold up to the temps or how well it will adhere to the foam material over time

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I love Flex Seal for many jobs but try small section first and see how it does.
Nick

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Flex Seal is just rubber in a can isn't it? There are much better sound deadeners that can take heat. The aftermarket auto industry uses them under hoods. Try Googling "under hood sound deadening".

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The foam crap in my engine compartment was disintegrating, but I wasn’t ready to take it all out and reinsulate the engine compartment. Instead, I covered the exiting foam stuff with Reflexite (foil, with air pockets, used for thermal insulation.

I just covered the walls, roof, etc of the engine compartment.

Seems to help some, but mostly encapsulated the foam so I don’t have black dust all over the engine.

Greg