Registered users don't see ads

So I bought a Hunter

Discussion in 'Ask A Hunter Owner' started by Cpt.Rog, Mar 1, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Cpt.Rog

Cpt.Rog

Joined Feb 22, 2018
    18 posts, 10 likes
    Hunter 30T
    Interlude US Long Beach
    It's a 1991

2. Cpt.Rog

Cpt.Rog

Joined Feb 22, 2018
    18 posts, 10 likes
    Hunter 30T
    Interlude US Long Beach
    All good advice but keeping the wife happy and comfortable makes for good sailing.

3. Cpt.Rog

Cpt.Rog

Joined Feb 22, 2018
    18 posts, 10 likes
    Hunter 30T
    Interlude US Long Beach
    I believe it's a 135 Genoa on a furling. You're right though, it's just a matter of me getting used to the boat and experimenting with different sail setups.

4. Terry Cox

Terry Cox

Joined Dec 25, 2000
    3,182 posts, 300 likes
    Hunter Passage 42
    US Shelter Bay, WA
    What kind of furling drum? Double line, single line? Ours is a 150 double line and you can reef the head sail with it.

5. Tally Ho

Tally Ho

Joined Jan 7, 2011
    971 posts, 122 likes
    Oday 322
    US East Chicago, IN
    My wife hates to heel...and complains LOUDLY if she thinks the boat is leaning too much. I am tempted to glue the ball in my inclinometer so it always shows 5 degrees or so. Then when she starts to complain, I can say “Honey, we are only leaning 5 degrees. Enjoy the sail”:yikes:

Greg

6. shemandr

shemandr

Joined Jan 1, 2006
    3,370 posts, 492 likes
    Marblehead Skiff 14'
    US Greenport, NY
    I'm with Benny here. Reef at the dock where you can tie it in nice and tight. Go out and enjoy a stress free sail. Enjoy! Get to know how the boat reacts. It beats the hell out of trying to tame a beast. Swells are fine but a chop can make an ugly day - completely different. You do not want to freak out the wife or any other crew. Build your comfort level. All of us have tested our limits and for those who really have, I would venture they wish they hadn't.

7. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,397 posts, 977 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    It won't work. Some wives are built like pinball machines. There's a metal ring in the middle of the machine that has a charged metal ball on a pendulum hanging in the center. They know when someone is trying to cheat the game and the won't hesitate to flash TILT! TILT! TILT! TILT! TILT! and not give you your ball back until you put more money in the slot. :kick:

- Will (Dragonfly)

Cpt.Rog likes this.
  8. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,397 posts, 977 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    No one should ever find out where their limits really are. That's kind of like a metal fatigue stress test. Have to throw away the part afterwards.

- Will (Dragonfly)

9. Whatfiero1

Whatfiero1

Joined Mar 29, 2017
    184 posts, 31 likes
    Hunter 30t
    US littlecreek
    I've got a '90 30T. Had it for 5 yrs good tough boat don't let anyone tell us different. Recently raced in terrible conditions. Gusts 30 knots 10' seas. Mostly ocean race. And I won. Beat all old salty dogs in there Pearson's and J boats. It took like 8 hr abuse and never wined.

Attached Files:

Justin_NSA and Will Gilmore like this.
  10. Ken Cross

Ken Cross

Joined Oct 24, 2010
    1,592 posts, 188 likes
    Hunter 30
    US Everett, WA
    The 30t has the same rig as the 30G which we have. We like the boat a lot. It is a fractional rig and doesn't need a large jib. I've been told it's best under 120%. I don't sail in open ocean, so when waves get over 4 feet here, it's blowing pretty hard. We sail in Puget Sound. Like others have said, your own comfort may dictate when to reef. For us it's over about 15 knots (the Admiral is usually aboard.) Just practice reefing in calm conditions before you need it. That 50 foot mast clearance can certainly heel you over.

Ken

11. Cpt.Rog

Cpt.Rog

Joined Feb 22, 2018
    18 posts, 10 likes
    Hunter 30T
    Interlude US Long Beach
    It's a single line drum, this is the first boat I've had with a single line.

12. Cpt.Rog

Cpt.Rog

Joined Feb 22, 2018
    18 posts, 10 likes
    Hunter 30T
    Interlude US Long Beach
    I grew up in the Seattle area, love it up there! Don't miss the rain though...lol I have experience reefing my Newport 28 and it was about the same...needed to reef at around 18 knots. If the Admiral was aboard I would reef sooner.

13. Cpt.Rog

Cpt.Rog

Joined Feb 22, 2018
    18 posts, 10 likes
    Hunter 30T
    Interlude US Long Beach
    Whatfiero...
    This is what I like to hear since I will be doing numerous crossings to Catalina Island. We had been looking for a boat with a walk through transom and swim platform since the wife and I are both divers. We like the Catalina boats but with everything we wanted in a boat the Catalina's were a little out of our budget. Then we found our 30T which was in pristine condition. The former owners were a retired couple that bought the boat just to join the yacht club. They have owned it since 2004 and rarely took it out. The Yanmar diesel only has 325 hours on it and looks brand new as does the rest of the boat. My wife has sailed quite a few times but we bought this boat more for her to actually learn how to sail and be confident with her sailing abilities. We are retiring in 3 years and plan on cruising the Caribbean on something around 45 foot.

14. Cpt.Rog

Cpt.Rog

Joined Feb 22, 2018
    18 posts, 10 likes
    Hunter 30T
    Interlude US Long Beach
    I think everyone on this thread assumes I'm new to sailing and have never reefed a boat before. I had a Newport 28 I ocean sailed for 4 years, she was a tough old boat and never let me down. The reason I asked when the Hunter should be reefed is due to some of my sailing friends telling me it will need to be reefed in 12 to 15 knot winds and it is a very tender boat. I wasn't going to believe them until I had a little more info on the boat. I have only been on the Sea trail with it and it was a gusty day (15 knots gusts) and the boat sailed perfect and was not healed over much at all. The boat is officially ours but there's 2 through hull valves I want to replace before I sail it up from San Diego to Long Beach.

15. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    4,544 posts, 677 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Cheney, KS
    "sailing friends telling me it will need to be reefed in 12 to 15 knot winds"
    This is nonsense. We're in Kansas, famous for wind. I have yet to reef my main.

16. Cpt.Rog

Cpt.Rog

Joined Feb 22, 2018
    18 posts, 10 likes
    Hunter 30T
    Interlude US Long Beach
    Yeah I figured they were telling me rubbish. For one, they've never been on a Hunter....two, they don't like production boats since two of them own Hudson Force 50's. But I'll just wave as I sail on past them....lol

Will Gilmore likes this.
  17. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,397 posts, 977 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    Is that a prairie schooner[​IMG] you are talking about or a wind wagon?
    [​IMG]
    https://www.kshs.org/kansapedia/wind-wagons/12239

- Will (Dragonfly)

18. shemandr

shemandr

Joined Jan 1, 2006
    3,370 posts, 492 likes
    Marblehead Skiff 14'
    US Greenport, NY
    Most production boats are optimized to sail in 12 to 15 knots. That's not a bad thing. It's just what their marketing research tells them will work. It's a big over simplification to assume all these boats aren't adjustable enough to handle different conditions.

19. Cpt.Rog

Cpt.Rog

Joined Feb 22, 2018
    18 posts, 10 likes
    Hunter 30T
    Interlude US Long Beach
    We got the boat home to Long Beach after motor sailing with the wind on our nose. Left San Diego in questionable seas and rain, finally arrived in Dana Point at 1am after beating into the wind for 13 hrs. It was slightly uncomfortable at times and we were plowing 5 to 7ft swells with white caps for about a 2hr span of time. Woke up the next morning to a beautiful day and got some breakfast at Turks (love that bar!) We enjoyed a perfect day on the water arriving in Long Beach around 5pm.....opened an expensive bottle of wine to commemorate our first 94 mile trip in the new boat.

JamesG161, Justin_NSA and Rick D like this.
  20. DayDreamer41

DayDreamer41

Joined Oct 29, 2016
    795 posts, 322 likes
    Hunter 41 DS
    Un Port Huron
    Was just out there at Dana Point, went sailing with a member of this forum, Jeff was gracious to have my son and eye out for the day. Beautiful area that is for certain. Beating against current and wind while averaging 7 knots had to be quite the ride. Sounds like you should have cut the trip somewhere along the way and pick it up the next day.