¿Snapfurl , is it fitted for the job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Ulises Vidaña

Snapfurl looks and costs right.Though it specifies up to 24',but since the H26 carries a 100% jib ,it might work .does anyone of you,has it?I have looked into the archives and it seems some of you hate the C.D.I. option.and my next best option($$$$...)is the snapfurl. thanks for your coments. Ulises. H26"B-GON"

D

Dan Johnson

Snap Furl

Ulises I have had the snap furl on my 260 for about 18 months now, no problems, and it works quite well. I didn't buy the CDI, after all the negative comments about it. The snap furl was easy to install, no cutting of the fore stay. Took about 2 hours from start to finish. Dan S/V 'Unruly Julie'

D

David R. King

Snap Furl/CDI

What is a Snap Furl? What is a CDI? Pardon my ignorance, but I have never heard of either. David King

U

Ulises Vidaña

snap furl

thanks Dan ,so sail size does'nt matter . for the instalation process I think the 260 is flat at deck,and the 26 has a 4" slope that might give me some trouble. David the snapfurl and CDI are roller furling systems.

P

Pat Hooyman

26 or 260

The 26 has a slope which interfers with the Snap Furl drum unless some adaption is made as Ulises said. Maybe Snap Furl has a suggestion or extension of the drum unit?

J

Jim Covey

Snapfurl on H26

I installed the Snapfurl last year on my H26 and have had no serious problems. The headstay needed to be shorted about 4 or 5 inches and I used 2 extension links from West Marine to get the furling drum over the deck. The only trouble I've had is with the furling line getting jammed on the drum a couple of times but have corrected that by changing the lead block position as low as possible on the deck. You'll also need to have your jib cut and have a UV shield installed (a local loft charged me about $200 for this). Also, you don't need the "long" model, the regular is just fine for this boat. Schaefer customer service had told me the specs for "up to 24' boats" was based on a full mast head rig, with the fractional rig of the Hunter there's no problem.

U

Ulises Vidaña

Jim

Did you cut the head stay by yourself?My boat has a turnbuckle and the end of the stay is some 6"above the clevis pin.Do you think I still have to cut it? What about the luff tape? or you just remove the hanks. Thanks for your coments. Ulises.

J

Jim Covey

Still have to cut

Yes, you will still have to cut the head stay. The roller drum slides over the turnbuckle so the bottom of the drum will be where your clevis pin at the bottom of the turnbuckle is. I cut my head stay myself (and yes with some trepidation) and installed a new turnbuckle threaded end using a swag-less fitting from West Marine. I took my old turnbuckle body to my local WM store to make sure I got the right fitting. I cut the head stay wire using a metal cut-off wheel on a small air powered grinder. A Dremel like tool will do the same. I forgot to mention about the luff tape in my 1st post, the loft installed the luff tape (the specs for the sail mods are all included with the furler). Hope this helps, Fair winds, Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.