Smith Mountain Lake

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
We are planning a trip there for the purpose of re-con for a retirement area. My wife already has enough appointments with realtors to keep us running. My question is what would you locals consider must see's? When I say a must see, I mean places which define what it is like to live there. We are staying at a VRBO condo which is likely above our pay grade. They have water toys so we'll get to see a bit of the lake. We're not yacht club people. If there is an informal sailing club I would pay a visit to see what others are sailing. If you know of any anchorages pristine or otherwise I'd like to
hear about them. Also, any info on traffic snags, which might impact where we would choose to shop and where to live. Real estate people will show you what they want you to see. I want to see what they don't want me to see. We're still a few years away from retirement so we're not hot to buy now. In fact, we are just area shopping. TIA!

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
@rgranger and @Crazy Dave Condon are the ones to help you. I've been there but don't know the ins and outs. (Although I did put my boat in and took it out. Safely.)

P.S. If you do get to talk to rgranger, make sure you learn how to pronounce Granger. It's not what it seems.
k

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
the prices on the lake are quite a bit more than the surrounding areas...everything is more $$$ and you will find that the realtor will tell you 20 minutes to Roanoke, reality is more like 40. There are some really nice parts of the lake, but keep in mind it is a lake, and one that is not really that large. The level is set and kept by the local electrical company and the lake will be quite muddy after heavy rains. There is a bit of sailing, but few real facilities to keep a large boat (>30 ft) or maintain it.

We lived in Roanoke for 20+ years and a few more in Dublin. And went to a couple of car shows at the Lake, and had a nice sandwich at the marina.

Take some time to see Roanoke, the art museum downtown is decent, there are a few nice steak places downtown, and so on. Health care is easy, as there are copious providers. Traffic is minimal, we used to laugh at "rush - 15 minutes" as that was about as long as things lasted.

In many ways, it is like stepping back in to the early '60's - politically, morally, socially, and so on...they still do the "shag". Keep in mind VA is a commonwealth, and has some pretty stiff "personal property taxes" on toys and such. The mountains are close by, the airport is convenient, but pricey - you can save about half flying in and out of Greensboro or Charlotte, NC.

Still shopping, take a trip to Claytor lake, SW VA it is MUCH cheaper and the people more down to earth. Even Lake Philpott and for the piece d'resistance - Kerr Reservoir on the VA /NC line...now that is a lake. Or towards Charlotte, there is Lake Norman - a bit snooty but all of the yacht club stuff you could want and the price to go with it.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
There must be a very effective SML promotional effort up in NY, the lake is full of NY transplants. Buddy of mine ran a construction business there during the boom years and catered to the New Yorker retiree crowd. At that time they could sell their home in NY and buy twice the home for half as much. Not sure how the market is these days, and he has since moved on to other opportunities. At the time the amenities were minimal (grocery/shopping/restaurants).

We were occasionally hosted for a weekend at a the home in the lake golf club and it was pleasant and verdant...until Friday afternoon when the lake took on the sound and appearance of a dirt track stock car race. Tons of yahoos racing about in unmuffled speed boats. It was impossible to sit outside and carry on a conversation. The lake would turn into a washing machine of wakes and was utterly unsuitable for sailing. So we motored about with a contingent of jet skier boys jumping our wake. They had a real drunk boating thing going on and the enforcement was extreme, safety and sobriety checks down and back the lake. SML pretty much led the way to strick State boater training regulations due to the utter insanity. I could say more, but you get the idea. SML is the biggest lake in the area and the favorite place for a region steeped in the history of outlaw racin' and roddin'

KD3PC gives a good rundown of the region and options. SML and Claytor are both power company lakes and they control the levels. Neither one offers great sailing due to their narrow branches and the surrounding hills that can bring a 30degree wind shift on a single 1/2 mile tack. If you visit make sure you stay over a weekend so that you can determine if the situation still exists as described. Rent a motor boat and tour about see what you think. They have a very active antique runabout club full of New York guys. I'm sure you will like the folks in that area, Yankee friendly close nit and fun loving.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
One thing I do know. They roll up the sidewalks after Labor Day. Almost all the marinas and restaurants shut down tight.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
will be glad to talk with you as I remember the lake being built. Things have changed and now you have to get approval from a committee from Appalachian Power to do anything but 7 years ago that was not the case. A lot of big power boats now on the lake. West of Hales Ford Bridge not good for sailing. There are many homes for sale but a lot depends if you want to pay a little more to have room from other houses and of course the size of house. Then there is the walk to the lake front and varies a lot so you have to look. Sorry I do not know the realtors anymore.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have a house on the lake
PM me and I can give you specifics

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Shemandr; I was around Smith Mt. Lake when it was being built and backfilled. If you would like to discusss this over the phone, send me a phone number via forum email. Was there as a dealer for many years

Crazy Dave

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
If you are looking at Virginia and want GOOD sailing, I would suggest looking at the Northern Neck of Virginia. You have immediate access to the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay. There are nice areas but the housing prices are lower in that area.

It has been a very long time since I have been to Smith Mountain Lake. It is a pretty area and you do have choices.