Small rudder disorder :( what should I do about that.

Jan 28, 2017
Hunter 34 Halifax
We bought this 1983 hunter 34 this January and have been in deep in refit work.

So it turns out I have the small rudder...LOL.... I measured across the bottom and it's about 11"
Also those wet marks are small blisters that have appeared since spring time thaw... tapping on the rudder is sounds solid and seems secure. What are my options for getting an appropriate rudder for this beast ? My plan is to coastal sail her this season and worry about the rudder this coming winter.

Thoughts...

20170517_193245.jpg

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Lots of us have small rudders (I'm told) and we are still loved.
What makes you think the rudder is a problem? I know nothing about the h34, but was a larger rudder fitted by the factory in later production? Why don't you just sail her per your plan and see how it performs. Then you can decide if it is inadequate.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Its not the size its how you use it. ;-)
I'm with Rich, try it and see how it preforms. If you balance the sail plan you should not need much of a rudder and a smaller one would offer less wetted area and drag

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
If I remember correctly, the problem with the early rudders was not structural, it was a problem of the rudder stalling when the boat was heeled over a good bit.. I think Hunter replaced the earlier ones and by early '84 they'd made the change on the rest that were built. The later rudder was a bit wider and deeper I think. If ya keep the heel angles comfortable, ya won't have a problem.. Your plan to sail it is a good one.. and if ya don't like the way it is handling, then start working the change..

Jan 28, 2017
Hunter 34 Halifax
Thanks guys. :) Yeah we knew the boat was a "tender" style of boat when we got her... So the plan is to reef first let out later... We are running a 110 jib. Here in NS it's pretty normal to have 15 knot winds all day.

We'll take that advice Bill, Rich and Klouide Comfort and cruising is what were looking for.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Hi Chad and Katie
I believe that Hunter In the 83-84 years mistakenly installed some of the wrong size rudders that were on the h31 model boats on some of the h34. There was a recall issued and to the best of my knowledge only a very few boats were effected. Mine was replace by the dealer before the boat went into the water. I believe the h37 and the h34 used the same size rudder. Your rudder looks correct, the h31 rudder is noticeably smaller. If possible see if you can find someone with the h31 and measures it.

Jan 28, 2017
Hunter 34 Halifax
Hi Chad and Katie
I believe that Hunter In the 83-84 years mistakenly installed some of the wrong size rudders that were on the h31 model boats on some of the h34. There was a recall issued and to the best of my knowledge only a very few boats were effected. Mine was replace by the dealer before the boat went into the water. I believe the h37 and the h34 used the same size rudder. Your rudder looks correct, the h31 rudder is noticeably smaller. If possible see if you can find someone with the h31 and measures it.
Interesting. I've read in few threads that the small one has an 11" bottom edge, while the large one has a 16" bottom edge... Mine is definitely 11" from pictures I've seen mine does look more slender compared to others. But alot of them were shoal draft boats... So I'm not totally sure. You think it looks the same as your rudder Robbie?

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
It's been that way for 34 years and now its too small?
I would take it sailing and see what happens, just like the others suggested.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
That is a real issue. The early rudders were too small and they did cause a handling problem. Contact Hunter and see if they will give you a new one. That is what they did back when the problem was new. Otherwise, you can get an aftermarket rudder for that boat. I would definitely do it. The boat is a bear to handle with a big rudder.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Hi Chad,
I have a shoal draft keel 4'-3" late model 1983 h34 technically the boat is an 1984 model with an 83 HIN # and when we were being commissioned for lunch the dealer was notified that we had the wrong ruder and I am 95% sure that the dealer took the ruder off a h37 and installed it rather than have to wait for Hunter to ship the replacement. Unfortunately for you my boats now in the water, otherwise I could have measured it for you, but yes it looks like its the same size. I agree with markwbird call Hunter maybe they may still have the specs and if it a manufacturer recall they may send you a replacement if it's wrong. Does not hurt to try.
You may want to ask a H34 and H31 owners if they haven't been lunched yet to post the measurements