Small craft advisory and sailing the C310

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Just curious what other C310 owners would do.

Today there is a small craft advisory for the Boston area. The weather is predicted for 15-20 kts of wind with gusts from 30-35 kts. Seas 2-3 feet which will be mostly chop. So would you go sailing?

We have been out and the conditions worsened to these type of conditions but intentionally leaving the dock is another story. Bases on how well she has performed in the past I am temped to throw the 2nd reef in the mainsail and go out. Good experience for when we get caught in bad weather while cruising.

But I might be desperate to get out because the weather hasn't been great for sailing lately.

So I was just curious what other C310s do in these conditions.

Nov 17, 2011
Hunter 306 Chester Basin, Nova Scotia
Makes for a good boat cleaning day with a nice cup of coffee. No sense in putting yourself in danger when you see it coming. We're going down the coast of nova scotia and it's calling for 30 knot wind tomorrow. We're calling it a cleaning day.

Nov 11, 2010
hunter 31 kent Island md
There is no descripition of small craft. Put a reef in and secure down below. you can always motor in.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
How big is your jib? Seriously. We have a small 85% blade jib and can tuck in 2 reefs and sail in high winds. It's the waves that'll getcha - swell, period/frequency, height. For example, inside SF Bay in 25 knots, it's comparatively flat water even on an ebb. Same winds outside the Gate are quite different.

Silvio

Dec 1, 2010
Catalina 310 Solomons Island, MD
That prediction wouldn't necessarily keep me at the dock. I have gone out in many sca's to practice sailing reefed and in less than ideal conditions to prepare for longer trips. Learned quite a bit about myself and the boat under sca in the bay that proved helpful when in the Atlantic out of sight of land. If you are comfortable then there is no reason not to push your comfort zone a little just go prepared, be safe and THINK through whatever you are about to do.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
To answer Stu first, the C310 comes factory with a 135 genny on a roller furler. So I can reef to whatever is appropriate for the wind within reason. Of course, mine was made prior to when sail makers putting the foam in the luff was common. So it doesn't get good sail shape when reefed too deep. I also have two slab reef points in the mainsail. The second reef point is pretty deep and has been adequate to those conditions in the past.

For sailing around the Boston area, we can do short sails and stay within the Hull spit and Brewster Islands. This will be fairly protected but also limits your area to sail. Also, there are lots of submerged rocks and shoals. Sometimes you get into really shifty wind areas because of all of the islands. I have accidentally jibe in these areas in the past but thankfully it wasn't with winds above 15 kts.

Deep inside Boston Harbor is usually really protected but again you have really shifty winds coming off of the buildings. Also, when there is a lot of power boat traffic, it can be a washing machine.

When you get out past Boston Light, it is far less protected and seas can build up pretty high. However, there is very little to hit and you can get on some nice long tacks. There is generally plenty of space to work out your next tack and plan accordingly.

So Stu, would you leave port in the conditions I described just to go sailing for a couple hours (not cruising)? If so, what configuration of sails would you use?

The strongest conditions we have had in this boat have both been down in the Buzzards Bay area (this is our second season with this boat). Both days were either small craft advisories or warnings.

Last year we were in Buzzards Bay, going from Fairhaven through the canal. That day we he had 20-25 kts winds out of the northeast (the direction we were trying to go) with 3-5 foot chop. That continued to build and we eventually had gusts over 40 kts and chop as high as 7 feet at times. The boat did very well, but our VMG dropped to about 3 kts because of the chop slowing us down. We had the 2nd reef in the main and very little headsail out. Wished I had a gailsail that day.

Our second day of really strong conditions was this year. We were sailing from Menemsha on Martha's Vineyard to Cuttyhunk. Only a 12 nm sail with a 6 nm stretch across Vineyard Sound. When we left we had 15-20 kts with gusts to 25 kts and waves (rollers) at 4-6 feet. The winds were out of the south that day and as we traveled further west, the conditions built. When we got further out into Vineyard Sound, we were less protected by the island and the winds built to 20-30 kts with gusts to 35 kts. But the big challenge was the seas; they built to 8-12 footers with some breaking. We had only put out the genny, because we knew it was supposed to be gusts to 25 kts and we actually only planned to sail the 6 nm from Menemsha to Quick’s Hole, then motor from Quick’s Hole to Cuttyhunk because that would be straight into the wind. So to keep the knock downs reasonable, we reefed to about 75%. In hindsight, we should have put up the mainsail with the 2nd reef. We couldn't point very well and we were probably less stable then if we had both sails reefed. Because I had to keep sailing into the waves that were breaking, our VMG dropped to 1-2 kts. Worst of all, because I kept steering up into the waves, we ended up high on Quick’s Hole and I had to turn and have those seas as following seas for about a 1/2 mile to get back to the entrance. We furled in the sail in the shadow of Nashawena Island and powered to Cuttyhunk. Again, very pleased with the boat. The dodger was excellent and kept a lot of the waves from filling the cockpit. We did get a couple of small pops but the weather was warm and they just drained out of the open transom.

So I probably didn’t state this correct in my initially post, but I was trying to find out what other people with the same boat would do if these strong conditions. So would you go out for a “three-hour tour” or stay at the dock and work on one of the many unfinished projects? If you would go out, what sail configuration would you use?

For this particular day, I wussed out. I decided to stay at the dock because I didn’t really feel like fighting the gusts. If it were 30 kts steady, I would have gone out. But sitting at the dock watching the anemometer bounce from 15 to 30+ kts and then back down just made me think it was going to be more work than I was up for on this particular Sunday. I know, I should be ashamed of myselfL

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
When it's blow'en hard I do not intentionally take the 310 out, she is pretty tender, just ask MainSail. I perfer to go windsurfing, Sunday was epic 25-30Knts was on a 72ltr board and a 4.2 by the end of the day.

Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
I was out sunday in 15+ knots and learned what not to do........I was being lazy and thought I could just sail easily under jib alone. I quickly found out that I had very little control without the main up in these conditions, even with a partially reefed jib. But it was fun doing some mini-surfing down the following seas.

Next time I will try main only, then reefed main.

Feb 26, 2004
Caution: if you have following high (to you) winds, the very last thing you want is a mainsail only.

There is little reason you should have less control with only a jib. What did you feel was "missing?" in controls.

Jul 25, 2007
Catalina 310 Middle River, MD
I was out sunday in 15+ knots and learned what not to do........I was being lazy and thought I could just sail easily under jib alone. I quickly found out that I had very little control without the main up in these conditions, even with a partially reefed jib. But it was fun doing some mini-surfing down the following seas.

Next time I will try main only, then reefed main.
iSailor: I was also out on Sunday returning to Middle River from Baltimore. Found 25+ kts wind and seas hitting me on the starboard stern quarter most of the way. I had half main and half jib out (both are furling), and the boat was well balanced, but I had problems with control due to those waves - the first would knock me to starboard and the second would roll over the side. Eventually I got past H-M island and could turn straight downwind and surf the waves, but until then it was a rocky ride. I eventually furled both sails and motored, but control wasn't much better - nearly took out a few crab pots.

Feb 26, 2004
Skippers, quartering waves are the WORST. Will get you anywhere and anytime. If you have a choice, change course to get them right behind you and then turn to get them on the beam. It'll be a much nicer downwind ride, but still a tad rolly once you turn.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
With the wing keel that most have with the 310, there is very little lateral resistance that would normally provide added stability in a following sea on your quarter. These boats don't sail well in these conditions period. She's like a top. Full keels with more water line do much better.

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
For me it is not the problem "out there", it is the problem docking and undocking in our tight marina. I have had some "great sailing" (read white kinuckle) with reefed genoa alone in 30 kts and 4'-6' waves in Lake Erie. We were crosing the lake and were able to maintain the broad reach for about 3 hours until it subsided just in time to pull into the Leamington, Ontario marina.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
When it's blow'en hard I do not intentionally take the 310 out, she is pretty tender, just ask MainSail. I perfer to go windsurfing, Sunday was epic 25-30Knts was on a 72ltr board and a 4.2 by the end of the day.
Two questions:
  1. You consider the 310 tender? To me she is more well behaved than most of her contemporaries (i.e. Beneteau, Hunter, Jenneau, Pearson, O'Day). I have seen those other boats go right over while the 310 is still sitting upright. I would say she is more of a middle of the pack boat.
  2. What is a "72ltr board and a 4.2"?

Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
iSailor: I was also out on Sunday returning to Middle River from Baltimore. Found 25+ kts wind and seas hitting me on the starboard stern quarter most of the way. I had half main and half jib out (both are furling), and the boat was well balanced, but I had problems with control due to those waves - the first would knock me to starboard and the second would roll over the side. Eventually I got past H-M island and could turn straight downwind and surf the waves, but until then it was a rocky ride. I eventually furled both sails and motored, but control wasn't much better - nearly took out a few crab pots.
we only sailed out past the mouth of middle river for maybe an hour. Since it was just me and my inexperienced dad, we headed back towards Frog Mortar creek and through the hook and ate lunch and cleaned the boat up a little......

What marina are you at? We are at Parkside back in Frog Mortar.

Jul 25, 2007
Catalina 310 Middle River, MD
we only sailed out past the mouth of middle river for maybe an hour. Since it was just me and my inexperienced dad, we headed back towards Frog Mortar creek and through the hook and ate lunch and cleaned the boat up a little......

What marina are you at? We are at Parkside back in Frog Mortar.

We are at Maryland Marina - I think there are 4 C310s in there.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Two questions:
  1. You consider the 310 tender? To me she is more well behaved than most of her contemporaries (i.e. Beneteau, Hunter, Jenneau, Pearson, O'Day). I have seen those other boats go right over while the 310 is still sitting upright. I would say she is more of a middle of the pack boat.
  2. What is a "72ltr board and a 4.2"?
1) yes, compared to any Blue water tank like Pacific SeaCraft, or Island Packet. Next time you in a blow go below and see how much the bulk head moves around. Ask Mainsail about why he sold his.
2) Windsurfing jargon, 72 Liter board (volume of the board, small used in high winds) 4.2 meter sail. Sorry.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
1) yes, compared to any Blue water tank like Pacific SeaCraft, or Island Packet. Next time you in a blow go below and see how much the bulk head moves around. Ask Mainsail about why he sold his.
2) Windsurfing jargon, 72 Liter board (volume of the board, small used in high winds) 4.2 meter sail. Sorry.
1) Well yeah. But that is like comparing a Toyota to a BMW. They are no where near the same price point. Early 2000s Pacific SeaCrafts are going for about $150K compared to $65K for a 310 of the same era.

2) Thanks

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
1) Well yeah. But that is like comparing a Toyota to a BMW. They are no where near the same price point. Early 2000s Pacific SeaCrafts are going for about $150K compared to $65K for a 310 of the same era.
Any bay production boat in the low 30' range with a wing keel will be rather tender in the conditions described above.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
I was out in the lower Chesapeake Saturday with 18-19 kts apparent close hauled, gusting to low 20s, seas 2-3 feet. Reefed the roller furler main to the logo and the genoa to 115% or so-it has a foam luff which really helps shape. Had a fast and relatively comfortable ride. The boat was well balanced with a touch or weather helm in the gusts. We blew by a 38ish IP (though I dont think the skipper was trying too hard). Coming back however with the wind and seas on the stern quarter the boat was a handfull.

Status
Not open for further replies.