sliding main hatch seal

Nov 28, 2013
Catalina 34 Mexico
Can anyone advise how to replace the 'flap' that prevents water coming in through the forward edge of the sliding hatch on a Catalina 27? And... what with?? Thanks.

Jun 2, 2013
Catalina 27 Vancouver
Was this a factory feature? I have a '74 and don't have a flap not any visible signs of one there originally. I would love to find a solution for this though.

Nov 28, 2013
Catalina 34 Mexico
Was this a factory feature? I have a '74 and don't have a flap not any visible signs of one there originally. I would love to find a solution for this though.
I haven't had this boat very long and haven't looked all that closely at how the flap is attached or what it's made of. I did find some discussion on another thread.. and it sounds like we need to start wandering Home Depot, looking for some kind of vinyl strip. The material will need to be somewhat UV resistant and flexible... and it's then attached to the forward edge of the sliding hatch... providing a somewhat successful block for incoming water.

Nov 28, 2013
Catalina 34 Mexico
An older thread in the same issue:

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/printthread.php?t=138542

Suggests using a foam gasket on the inside edge of the forward hatch lip, or on the forward edge of the deck lip. I like this idea and was planning to figure out how to add it to mine when I take my hatch off later this summer to epoxy the slides.
That sounds like a really good idea... I'll give it a try. Thanks very much for replying.. It's nice to have someone to talk to about this. Good luck with your hatch.