Simrad WP30/32 revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T J Furstenau

The belt on mine went this weekend. Now I know the cheap source, as I actually was the one to post it a while back, and will be ordering spares as soon as I finish typing this. My concern is that this is only my second season with the unit, and it probably has less that 50 hours on it. Now I've read in the archives of sailors getting 300 hours out of theirs. I took it apart and reassembled it enough times in the last two days trying to get it to work, that replacing the belt won't be a hassle. I'm more interested in why my belt went so fast and how to extend the life. Now the only thing that I can think of is that it was stored over the winter with the clutch locked down and that this may have resulted in stretching the belt. I also will leave it locked to keep the wheel locked when in slip to keep the rudder from swing back and forth. Should probably use my wheel brake. What do the rest of you do? What is your normal life span from a belt? And how do you leave the WP, clutch locked or unlocked? Weekends, offseason? Any input, as always, is greatly appreciated. T J

Dec 31, 2004
- - Guilford, CT
WP30 Belt

T J, I am going on my third season with my WP30 and have had no noticable wear on the belt. I always leave the clutch disengaged when not in use and use the wheel lock instead. I also take the unit home in the winter as much for security as keeping the unit from the harsh winter elements. I don't have a cheap source for the belts, but I personally would use one suggested by Simrad. Hope this helps, Ellis

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
three years same belt

I haven't had any problems after three years on a 10,000 lb boat. I always leave it disengaged when not in use. Is there a way to check the belt without disassembling the unit? Maybe that's something I should do.

T

T J Furstenau

WP30 Belt follow up

My guess is that I stretched it leaving the clutch engaged. It was actually off the boat over the winter as well, but as I remember, the clutch lever was in it's "natural" position, which is the closed one. Lesson learned. I spoke to Simrad today and learned that they no longer sell the belt. They have upgraded the clutch and belt mechanism and don't have a source for the old belt. The CSR at Simrad actually asked for my source for replacement belts, should someone call in looking. The upgrade kit for the clutch/belt runs $89. He recommended sending it in for the install, as he said it wasn't completely straight forward. Install sill run another $85. Unfortunately, they are currently backordered on the parts for the upgrade. So, I'll order a belt (or two) now from Motion Industries, and then see about doing the clutch upgrade over the winter, or when the parts get in. I've taken this thing apart enough that I'll probably tackle it myself. Richard, there is no visual inspection without opening the unit up. My feeling is, like everything else, get a spare and have it handy should yours go out. Easy $20 insurance. T J

C

CHET P

belt supply

TJ can you supply the # and the phone or email contact for the supplier you found so i too can order some replacements. mine has lasted 3 seasons but living in florida the heat will sooner or later attack mine and wouldn't like to be without it thanks chet p

Feb 15, 2004
Hunter 37.5 Balt/Annapolis/New Bern
I've decided...

that leaving it engage while at anchor or in the slip is/was a primariy cause of mine wearing fast, so I've stopped doing that. And, I think that my 375 is at the top end of spec for that unit, so it wears faster than others. I'm disturbed that Simrad isn't selling the belt anymore. Please post the part number and contact info for you source so I can order spares. That's top on my list as of tonight.

T

T J Furstenau

WP30 Belt Source

This is in the archive in numerous places, but I'll post one last time for posterity: Motion Industries, Inc 1345 LANDMEIER ROAD ELK GROVE VILLAGIL 60007 PHONE 847—956—1414 FAX 847—981—1939 MI Item # 02705545 Mfg Item # 1OAT5/825 Description METRIC TIMING BELT Manufacturer JASON Price (07/06/06) $19.97

Feb 15, 2004
Hunter 37.5 Balt/Annapolis/New Bern
Wow TJ...

you're beginning to sound like Peggy and her fresh water program...;;) Thanks.

P

patrick

belt wear

to reduce wear, espically during extended use unlock the clutch and press the tack button, then reset your course. This will rotate the belt so the drive cog will be in a different place on the belt. The first time mine failed was after having it on for around 10 hours straight... when I opened it up it was frayed right where the drive cog was so now I try to wear it more evenly and haven't had problems.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Thanks T.J. for...

the info. Sometimes the search function does not product the expected results unless one knows exactly the key phrase to search on. (run on sentence) :) Appreciate the belt info. I'm guessing that this belt will also work on a WP32?

Status
Not open for further replies.