Shroud line mast supports falling out when stepping mast

Mar 19, 2011
Hunter 23.5 Hollywood, Fl
I purchased a new mast for my Hunter 23.5. Since then ,I have an issue with the shroud lines falling out during stepping . The insert openings where the cables attach to the mast have this little flimsey plastic piece that doesn't work well like the old black plugs did. Of course they don't make the plugs anymore. I am usually fine keeping the cables tensioned as I raise the mast. The other day my lower shroud line popped out under tension in heavy wind. Had to bring my sail down and take her in.
Any suggestions?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Make a permanent attachment to the mast with screws or a through bolt. Getting wire tension when raising the mast keeps it straight. Loosing a shroud under sail can lead to a demasting. The shrouds on the lee side can go slack and that can cause them to pop out of inserts. There is no reason to have shrouds in inserts for a trailerable boat in regular use. Get the proper fixtures and secure to the mast.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Think what your looking for is a tball retaining plug. - they are still made. Call the sailboat owners store on the site here to see if they can get the size you need.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
Rigging only.com has the rubber plugs if you can't find them here. Or cut short pieces of rubber fuel line and split them open with razor knife. Roll up the piece and force it into the slot above the t-ball. If it's too big cut small slices off of the edge where you split it. Roll up and try again. Repeat as necessary.
Dennis

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
Annapolis Performance Sailing have them.Pricey at $7.50 apiece. On there site Hardware T-ball fittings.Better safe then loosing your mast!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
What mast and whom purchased from. Can you take a photo of the hole. Also measure the opening sideways and length as well.

Anyone with the 23.5 mast, can you measure the opening where the t ball mast stabilizing cables attaché to and advise on your boat. Thanks

Jun 10, 2012
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
The store here has a new style hole cover that gets riveted in place and then rotates down once your shroud ends are inserted. I just ordered three of them along with the SS rivets to install them. I've never had a problem with the rubber plugs but this will solve the problem permanently. According to the listing they are UV and salt water resistant.

MrEd

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 240 Louisville, KY/ Patoka Lake,IN
You can easily fashion a replacement with a pocket knife and a rubber "cork" from a bottle of less-than-expensive vino. Just trim into a properly sized wedge and put in place. Within a few tries you'll have something that fits, does the job, and looks fine. I haven't had to replace any for several seasons.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You made a good point about cork. I always included a package of marine style or cone shaped corks in the event of a hole below the water line. I have used cork MrEd too for a temp. solution. Good point.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
It is not clear to me which stay is falling out and when. You mention "during stepping" and also "in a heavy wind". If the former, my 23 lacks these baby stays (as a factory install at least), so can't add to the other comments. If the actual lower shroud is falling out as you raise the mast, use the plugs as mentioned or try tape around the mast at the point where the shroud fitting enters the mast (probably T-ball fittings?). Just cut a slit in the sail track so the tape does not block the mainsail slugs or bolt rope. I was able to fit a stainless bolt through the mast, through the t-ball fittings, above where the shroud fittings sit in the slot, installed after the fittings are in. This keeps the t-balls from sliding up as I raise the mast; make sure you cut the bolt (if needed) so it does not extend much past the nut (I used a lock nut with the nylon insert).
If instead (or in addition to), the lower shroud came out under sail I think it must be too loose, which may have been caused by the new mast - is the shroud length actually correct for that mast? I tighten mine by hand (no gauge) and I can pull the wire maybe an inch or a bit less when tight. If your shrouds (either one) seem loose on the lee side when under a good breeze I suspect they are not tight enough. If the turnbuckle is all the way in, perhaps the shroud(s) are too long for the new mast.

Apr 6, 2014
Hunter 240 Navarre
I second the tape method. I use blue painting tape (low adhesion) to hold the t-fittings in as the mast is raised. It's not ideal, but works well, and once the fittings are under tension, they stay in. It was always that last bit when the fittings were rotating with the rising mast and beginning to tension that they fell out.