shower drain to bilge

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alans

hi i have a 1999 hunter 310. why did hunter design the shower to drain into the bilge? i would think that with soap, shampoo,hair and body oils it would have gone directly out like both sinks. im sure i can re-route this line but i wanted to understand there design. hair in bilge is not cool... thanks alan

Jun 2, 2004
hunter 260 Ruedi Res.
I imagine they did it

to save money. The shower drain is too low in the boat to drain directly out like your sink. It needs its own sump and pump to discharge overboard. Running it into the bilge is a cheap way to accomplish this. You could probably modify the drain to pump directly overboard with a pump that can run dry without damage and a little fancy wiring to a shower valve that has a switch built in.

R

Ron M

Shower sump

Alans, I had the same "cheap trick" on my 2004 Hunter 386. Initially, I couldn't find how the showers were plumbed. I have two floor drains, but only the shower had a hose underneath the drain which lead to a pump for discharging grey water overboard. The pump was controlled by an ON/OFF switch by the lavatory. The drain in front of the lavatory had no hose on it and water just flowed into the bilge. I corrected both problems by removing the flooring next to the lavatory. I was able to "T" a hose from lavatory drain and connect it to the shower drain. From there, I disconnected the ON/OFF switch by combining the {+) wires together. This allowed the sump pump to be controlled by the panel breaker. In the bilge, I installed a water collection box with a float switch. In addition to the lav/shower drains, I also connected the A/C condensation line as well as the freezer/refri defrost lines. Now all excess water goes into the collection box. When the water trips the float switch it all goes overboard. For a few bucks, it seems Hunter could have done a better design job. But, then again, how many new sailboat buyers actually look at plumbing? Or for that matter, anything mechanical until long after the sale is done!

A

alans

shower drain

thanks for responses. i will re-route over winter. hunter designers really should rethink this issue. a cloged bilge and a unattended boat in water is accident waiting to happen. good sailing.... alan

Sep 9, 2005
- - St Joseph, MI
NO NEED TO GET ALL LATHERED UP

An occasional dash of citrus bilge cleaner down the shower drain will be adequate to keep all the nasty stuff moving to the bilge sump and smelling nice.

B

Benny

I doubt you have the space on an h310

to install a sump collector and pump. Install a tight mesh drain. We consider the shower on our h320 to be a show item as it is not worth the effort to shower in a confined space and the having to dry up the whole bathroom after use. We shower in the swim platform with plenty of room, the key is having the hot water for those cool evenings. When I started sailing I used to bathe with a bucket of cold water know having an outside running hot water shower is heaven.

Cobra

Jul 4, 2004
- - Greenwood/Cherry Grove SC
I'm With Jeff...

We do extended cruises on our 34 Hunter and have never had a problem with the bilge pump. Even when docked we use the boat shower. Buy some liquid body soap. It doesn't have the grease that's added to form a solid, therefore less junk to build up in the bilge. I normally pour a shot of Clorx in the shower drain and clean the bilge about every couple of months. Think about this, no matter what you do you're still going to have to deal with a pump to get the shower water overboard. If you're afraid of the bilge pump going out add a second pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.