Ship station license... MMSI. Just want to confirm requirements.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I wonder if non-Canadians can take the course. Don't know why they would, but just wondering. It is unlike a Ham Radio license which has reciprocal operating privileges in certain countries.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I wonder if non-Canadians can take the course. Don't know why they would, but just wondering. It is unlike a Ham Radio license which has reciprocal operating privileges in certain countries.
Absolutely! Two of our very best friends hail from NM. Both hold their ROC and PCOC. Their IPY 350 has been moored in BC for the 13 years.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
The last boat I sold had a Boat US MMSI. I was able to call Boat US and transfer the MMSI to the new owner. He then could edit in his own information.
Piece of cake.
Ken

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Just to clarify:

1. All Canadians who operate a marine VHF radio must hold an ROC-M. Not so for US sailors operating in Canadian waters. The course is $75 but you can self study and challenge it at the same cost.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/oep-navigation-radiocomms-faqs-1489.htm

2. A Ship's Station License in Canada is $36/year. As with US sailors, only required if you cruise in international waters. I have held it for 10 years and unfortunately I have never been asked for it but will continue renewing it each year.
Thanks, I was under the impression that Canadians operating only in Canadian waters did not need ship's license or operator's license.