Shift cable replacement

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Wondering if anyone has replaced their throttle and shift cables on their 310? My shift cable failed and was able to adjust it (tighten it to be precise) with phone help from a mechanic friend. But when I saw the engine end of the cable it looks bad. Wires are frayed and picture is attached. So I think replacement is in order. Question is are the 12 ft cables sold on Catalina Direct the correct length? Does the length vary by engine type or is it standard for all 310's? Reason I ask if I have a one-off engine in my 310 (Yanmar 2gm20f). Thanks in advance for any help.
bob

Attachments

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
I replaced my cables recently. Mine were just very stiff, and not damaged like yours. Because I wanted to keep them in place until I had replacements, I measured the length of my current cables by tracing a string along the existing cables. I little bit of crawling around was involved. If you are able, it would be best to remove your current ones and measure what you have.

Chris

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
If your cables are stiff, you can force oil into the cable to lubricate them. There is a youtube video that shows you how to do that. Just another option for you to considered.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
If your cables are stiff, you can force oil into the cable to lubricate them. There is a youtube video that shows you how to do that. Just another option for you to considered.
Brian, mine are rusted and wires frayed as per the pic I posted. Think replacement is best course...

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Of course as were mine. But I though I read that someone had stiff cables. Just giving, for anyone who reads this, an option if the cable is still in good condition. I just replaced one of my outboard cables so I know what your are going through.

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
It was mine that were stiff. I'd been through the oiling process without any luck. In the end, I'm sure they were damaged (previously kinked) which caused the stiffness. I believe the cause of this was that the previous cables (not sure if original or not) were way too long, and they were looping around the cockpit lazarette. I'm sure they were stepped on, or had things dropped on them over the years. I was able to run the new cables in such a way as to avoid getting future damage and keeping the bend radius within spec. They now operate like butter. The shifter (which was the real problem cable) can be shifted with your pinky finger! Previously, we required significant strength to shift. So worth replacing in my case.

Chris