Sheave replacement

Discussion in 'Ask All Sailors' started by Windcree, Nov 11, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Windcree

Windcree

Joined Feb 13, 2017
    5 posts, 0 likes
    Pearson 28
    US Barrington, RI
    I have a 1975 Pearson 28. I need to replace the sheaves. The axels are easy to remove and they are in great shape. HOWEVER with the axels out the shives don't want to come out. The move freely were they are but they won't move out. The design is with 2 sheaves next to each other so can't easily drive it out. Any suggestions.

2. dlochner

dlochner

Joined Jan 11, 2014
    3,787 posts, 1,758 likes
    Sabre 362
    113 US Fair Haven, NY
    A photo will help.

Are the sheaves too large for the exit holes? If so, it may be necessary to remove the mast head assembly.

3. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    9,344 posts, 4,166 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Pictures are very helpful.
    The mast head off may doo the trick. Sometimes the axel you mention is a bolt that rides in a sleeve. The sleeve can extend across/through the center of the sheaves. Tying them together.
    Sometimes they have been up there so long that corrosion sort of sticks them together.
    Be gentle.

4. danstanford

danstanford

Joined Aug 2, 2010
    267 posts, 40 likes
    Beneteau 323
    CA Cobourg
    When I tried to identify a jamb point when feeding a new halyard from a fish string last year I briefly tried taking the masthead assembly so I am interested in this thread. I put a socket on the bolt going through the aluminum extrusion of the mast into the mast head assembly and twisted till I was afraid I was going to twist off the head of the bolt. Being as far down as it was from the top, I can't imagine how to lubricate/penetrating oil it so I quit.
    Where would you start to loosen this bolt, heat?

Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!