semi-permanent install of Honda 2K

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Has anyone ever done or attempted a semi-permanent install of Honda 2K generator? It shouldn't be too hard to make an enclosure with power ventilation and connect the exhaust to a thru-hull extension.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
There are lots of exhaust and exhaust/engine heat extensions on the web in casual searches. If you do this also look at propane conversions and keep gasoline off the boat.

Note: all will void any warranty

Les

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I thought about that a few years ago and decided against it for safety reasons. I even considered a fixed enclosure to sit on the swim platform and looked at the logistics of positioning the generator for easy access to the pull cord and for refueling and decided the whole concept was not worth the trouble. I did put together a 3 1/2 gallons auxiliary gas tank to avoid having to get up in the middle of the night to refuel. That was a real improvement.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Maybe I will just keep doing what I did this year. I put the Honda in the dinghy and run the shore power cord out to is. That way a lot of the sound and all of the vibration is directed up and away from me and my neighbors.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Has anyone ever done or attempted a semi-permanent install of Honda 2K generator? It shouldn't be too hard to make an enclosure with power ventilation and connect the exhaust to a thru-hull extension.
In one of our ABYC tech committee meetings we discussed a case involving a guy who tried just that. He died from CO poisoning.. Check with your insurer before you install a portable generator in a permanent fixed installation. This certainly would not meet any marine safety standards..

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
I did put together a 3 1/2 gallons auxiliary gas tank to avoid having to get up in the middle of the night to refuel. That was a real improvement.
You sleep with the generator running? Sounds awfully dangerous.

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I put the Honda in the dinghy and run the shore power cord out to is.
And I thought my set up of the portable generator was a hassle. I just set it up back in the swim platform by the shore power plug and tie a safety line to the stern pulpit.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
You sleep with the generator running? Sound awfully dangerous.
Conditions here in Florida warrant taking some measured risks to use A/C if you want to enjoy boating. We are very aware of the dangers of gasoline as very combustible with heavier than air and explosive fumes. and also of the danger of Carbon Monoxide. We minimize the risks by maintaining sound equipment, CO alarm monitors, having safety emergency equipment handy and following proper procedure for the use and storage of the generator and fuel. We observe conditions of wind and currents to position the unit where the exhaust can blow away from the boat. We have stayed away from off brand generators and are meticulous in inspecting the equipment before every use. Have been using them for more than 10 years and feel confident enough to sleep very soundly. Even the hum and vibration help.