Second rudder comment question 24 Hunter 1998

ronkS2

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 240 South Florida
I am looking to install a spring (similar to a screen door) in my rudder post to act as a fail safe should my rudder come in contact with the bottom. As mentioned I motor in very little water and want to give myself every possible edge when dealing with the depth. Also being 50 I will probably forget to un-cleat it every now and then. Before I go reinventing the wheel has anyone else looked into something similar to this? I have seen and had smaller sailboats that have had similar rigs which is why I am asking for input.

Thanks in advance,
Ron

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Not a spring, but a common mod for the rudder is the CL257 auto-release cleat. It releases the downhaul if the rudder hits something. I put one on my H240 downhaul- you need to move the existing cleat to one side to use with the uphaul line, and install the CL257 next to it. Fairly easy install, but you will need the correct size drill and tap to thread the aluminum tiller. Details are described here- works the same on the 240:
http://www.h260.com/rudder/rudder_problems/rudder.html

Ferina

Sep 7, 2015
Hunter 25.5 Longboat Key
I bought a rudder the same as Will Gilmore mentioned for my Hunter 25.5. It works well BUT is heavy. The manufacturer has a Youtube video showing how to raise it, but I found that if you are 25 years old and fit, it would be easy. If you are neither of these you might have a problem. (I'm 71 and 150lbs and reasonably fit but mindful of my back) I have only managed it once or twice as per video, so now I winch it up to level with the water, and yank it the rest of the way. Keep the line parallel to the tiller. You can't use a winch for the whole lift. Brian T.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
If your downhaul line on the rudder is fixed using a cam cleat (the type where springs hold it closed), that may be enough protection. My 23 has that (mounted on top of the rudder bracket) and I once touched a rock - the rudder pulled up, shredding the outer covering of the braided line. The metal serrations on the cleat did the shredding. Of course, I had to replace the line, but that is easy and inexpensive.

ronkS2

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 240 South Florida
MY Cl 257 arrived today. I am going to wait on the spring conversion as this mod seemed quicker and easier, all though I did pick up the spring for it all ready.

Thanks for all the input from everyone on this page. I am going to start a new topic on how long does the rudder need to be to just power the boat.

Nov 17, 2011
Hunter 240 Carterville Boat & Yatch Club
I used the CL257 auto release cleat on my 02 Hunter 240, works great. I sail on a lake with many shallow spots, and drag the rudder often. Before adding the CL257, I damaged the rudder, had to repair the leading lower edge. Thanks for the info.