1. Welcome to the new Cruising Sailors Forum, for experienced sailors and cruisers. 2009-2016 forum archive is now online.

Seayak Seatalk 1 to NMEA communication.

Discussion in 'Cruising Sailors' started by Kopite, Mar 27, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Kopite

Kopite

Joined Mar 11, 2015
    82 posts, 4 likes
    Catalina 27
    US Monroe MI
    Hi, I have old transducers and gauges on board (ST40), but upgraded my chart plotter to a newer device that I came across at a very good price. The Garmin 840XS has neat sailing functions, but without wind and other data input it was no use. I was looking at upgrading the transducers for the new plotter, but also researching alternates that could allow my Seatalk 1 protocol to work through NMEA. I found some pricy options by both routes, but then came across Seayak on Ebay, sold out of Australia. I’m just posting here to let folks know this device exists, is low cost at $40, was simple to hook up, and works great. I have no affiliation... ( yes, I would have liked more accurate wind direction than I get from the Rotavecta, but I can live with it for the $1000+ saved by not buying new transducers..)

2. Mechone

Mechone

Joined Mar 20, 2016
    197 posts, 50 likes
    Beneteau 351
    ca WYC Whitby
    I went with seayak but had problems of getting it to work with different apps on tablet or phone ,I then found this which works much better has nmea and seatalk, nmea4wifi and has a lot more inputs and is cheap 55.00 on ebay
    I see AIS, wind ,depth,speed, dcs,temperature ,auto pilot on tablet

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  3. Tally Ho

Tally Ho

Joined Jan 7, 2011
    1,351 posts, 281 likes
    Oday 322
    US East Chicago, IN
    Did I miss where you identify what you found?

Greg

4. uncledom

uncledom

Joined Jun 11, 2011
    1,168 posts, 264 likes
    Hunter 41
    US Lewes
    @Mechone, what is this that you speak of?

5. Mechone

Mechone

Joined Mar 20, 2016
    197 posts, 50 likes
    Beneteau 351
    ca WYC Whitby
    Search nmea4wifi on ebay

uncledom likes this.
  6. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    2,610 posts, 1,225 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Everett, WA
    The Seatalk-1 to SeaTalkNG/NMEA 2000 from Raymarine is under $100. To get from SeaTalkNG to N2K backbone is one short blue cable and male and female N2K field fittings. Cut the blue cable in half and connect the N2K fittings to the end. Colors all match.

7. Mechone

Mechone

Joined Mar 20, 2016
    197 posts, 50 likes
    Beneteau 351
    ca WYC Whitby
    I already have that ,however that does not transmit all data wifi to laptop ,phone or tablet unless you have a newer chartplotter that transmits nmea0183. I have a c80 and ( a67 newer ,but no wifi,but allows updates to everthing on ng network

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  8. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    2,610 posts, 1,225 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Everett, WA
    I have a yacht devices for N2K/SeaTalkNG to Wi-Fi

Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Winch covers
Any brand, every size, any color!
Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat