SeaTow

Sep 29, 2015
Catalina 30 2188 St. Petersburg
Sea Tow
On 4/11 2016 the captain (Cody) that was transporting my Catalina 30 to my new home port in St Petersburg, off the coast of Clearwater he was having batteries trouble. The motor would not turn over. He called me to let me know what was going on as soon as he could get cell service. Upon receiving the call from Cody I immediately called Sea Tow. Sea Tow dispatched a captain from Tarpon Springs.

Once the sea Tow captain arrived he jumped off the engine and got it running. Once the engine was running Cody noticed it was not exhausting properly so he shut off the engine. The sea Tow captain made the decision to tow the boat into Clearwater Municipal Harbor.

Meanwhile I was in contact with the dispatcher. She was relaying info to me from the captain. I was told that my boat had a hole in the exhaust (which there is not) and was taking on water. The sea Tow captain decided to call it a "salvage" and pumped out water that had filled the cabin. I was told that it was 1-1/2' deep in the cabin (when in actuality it was about ankle deep).

The water entered the bilge and cabin due to the sea Tow captain towing the vessel too fast. The water penetrated an above the waterline thru hull.

Since I was on the phone and only knew what I was being told, I was told that since the captain used auxiliary pumps to pump out my cabin that I would have to pay $4500. I argued that I believed since I was a gold member that I should not have to pay the charge. Sea Tow then knocked the total to $500. I had a hard time paying the amount because it was not caused by any actions of my captain or my vessel, but instead it was caused by the excessive speed the sea Tow captain was towing.

I paid the $500 and decided to check the boat myself before making a call to sea Tow and asking for a full refund.

After inspecting the vessel I saw that there was no hole in my exhaust and my captain informed me that the water was only ankle deep at the most. My captain told me that the sea Tow captain seemed in a rush and aggravated. I can understand being frustrated at moments like that but he is part of a service that I pay yearly.

I say all that to say this. I feel as if this is all a scam. Just another way to "up charge" a loyal member.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Interesting story; where did the boat start out from? Was your captain credentialed? For example, I'm surprised if he did not have his own towing insurance that could be applied in that situation. I assume that the above-waterline thru-hull did not have a hose on it? If not, why would it even be open? You do not have to have a "hole" in your exhaust hose for the engine to pump seawater into the bilge and cabin; just a loose hose clamp on the muffler (waterlock) or elsewhere is enough to allow that (see at link). I wouldn't conclude that you've been scammed based on your description of the event; just an unhappy series of incidents that caused some miscommunication or misdiagnosis. Hope the boat made it to St. Petersburg OK.

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...erience-the-consequences.183052/#post-1348480

Last edited: