Seasmoke comes to the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2006
Knutson K-35 Yawl Bellingham
I roll into the yard first thing and there's Seasmoke on the trailer, waiting to unload. We unloaded her and moved her in front of the shop.

I decided right off to tear into the glass over the lower hull and keel to check the wood and how that keel extension was done. The glass came off in big sheets once I got it going.

It smelled strongly of good old wood boat bilge. Ya know that mix of saltwater, oil, diesel that ya only get in an old wooden boat.

Whoever did the keel did a proper job with internal framing and mahogany planking over it. Where they got 18" wide mahogany planks, I haven't a clue. The workmanship leads me to think that the Kettenburg yard did the modification since it so well done.

You can see the planking in this shot.

The wood is quite good for being under glass for who knows how long.

The glass is well stuck to the extension which leads me to think it was put on and faired in when the extension was done. The extension wood looks like it was never wet.

The boys pulled all of the cushions and flotsam out of the house so I got some pictures.

Nice storage behind the settee cushions.

The quarterberth is spacious.

The head isn't quite de-cluttered yet.

Anyway, there she is, waiting for a client. I still have to do some closer inspection but I'm thinking she's in even better shape than I thought. The seams were done not too long ago and they used a good, soft seam compound like Interlux white so there's none of that pixie dust and linseed oil concrete crap to dig out. The wood seems solid all around, excepting that one spot where the plank was broken out. There are four ribs to repair there. I'll pull random fasteners from around the boat and I'm sure the galvanized floor bolts are toast, they always are.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
18 Inch mahogany boards have gone to the same place the the 1x12 clear all heart redwood has gone. 30 years ago I could get 1x12x16 feet redwood cheaper than white pine shelving. Today it is all special order and is priced such that you must mortgage the farm

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
So what and where was the ballast before the extension? Was the extension to depth, length, or both? It looks like somehow they added lead to a wooden keel.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Charlie, Hot tip for you. I am doing the first sanding on the sealer on plywood for a set of cabinets. After dusting with a soft brush I discovered that the knobby vinyl palm of my jersy glove picks up dust like a tack rag but lets it go to the vacuum cleaner. White dust and a dark brown glove are a good combination.

May 5, 2006
Nope. The ballast is in the original configuration as stock. Take a look at Lady J here to see what I mean.

May 5, 2006
Charlie, Hot tip for you. I am doing the first sanding on the sealer on plywood for a set of cabinets. After dusting with a soft brush I discovered that the knobby vinyl palm of my jersy glove picks up dust like a tack rag but lets it go to the vacuum cleaner. White dust and a dark brown glove are a good combination.
Nice...

Aug 31, 2007
Catalina 30 Petoskey, Mich.
Wow,another jaw dropping remodle ahead!!! I have been out here for a few months now and have lost track of Oh Joy andher project. Can you link me up or fill me / us with updates.

Thanks Capt. Dean 130 days out and 2,000 miles from home

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi Charlie,
Walked by the computer and this picture came up on the screensaver. Looked like one of yours. That was from a trip near Boothbay Maine.
All U Get

Attachments

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Charlie,
Just wondering if one of the boat restoration schools would be interested in Seasmoke. There is one in Newport RI and the Maritime museum in Beaufort NC also refurbishes wooden boats. Mystic Seaport is another option. Obviously transportation would be expensive to cross the country, are there any schools like that on the west coast?

May 5, 2006
The Wooden Boat Center in Seattle would like to have a K-40. We may be forming a 501c for her.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
K-40

Charlie: see post 40 in the photos thread that is running to see a beautiful K40 that we sailed against in a recent Newport (CA) to Ensenada (MX) thread. She was spectacular, and worse, on that point of sail, she went by me despite a much higher rating. Note sails without a dirt mark on them. I was looking for something to post and I'd forgotten about this Kettenberg 40.

May 5, 2006
Nice looking boat. K-40's aren't rated at PHRF 138 for nothing. They sail pretty well. I'm just hoping somebody steps up for the old girl before we run outta time.

Status
Not open for further replies.