Sealing Plexiglass Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 11, 2008
Hunter 42 La Salle , Mi
What is a good product to reseat the plexiglass windows. I have one large one in the main salon and several small ones with ports attached to them. The ports do not leak it is the plexiglass like windows that do. I reseated the big one with 4200 and in less than a month of the big window expanding and than shrinking with the heat and than cooler weather a 32nd of an inch gap opened up . Or the 4200 itself shrunk up which I don't think happened. Anyway I went from a good seal to no seal in a month. What is a better product? I hate to use 5200 , as it will be to hard to remove next time.

Jun 8, 2004
Kirie-Elite Elite 37 Niceville, FL
Sealant

You can try Dow Corning 795 (a professional glaziers sealant) or GE SG4000 (also a professional glaziers sealant). I believe Hunter recommends 795. DIY Magazine 2004-1 has an excellent article on leak-proofing cabin windows.

H

Harry

Select Plastics

You can find them on the web. I used them last year and they sold me a sealant expressly made for that application. It was easy (but messy) to use, cleaned up well and best of all....it works. It is flexible so it expands & contracts with the plexi. I have no affiliation with them, just a satisfied customer. Select Plastics, LLC is a full line Plastics Distributor and Fabricator with roots in the marine industry. Custom Design and fabrication of OEM and obsolete ... www.selectplastics.com

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I feel your pain

I was just about to ask this same question because two of my windows in my Catalina 30, 1990, are starting to leak. It is a huge PITA. I am going to try contacting Catalina to see if they have an idea on what to use. I will post my results later on!

Tricia

Jun 4, 2004
Freedom 30 Victoria, BC
I used Dow Corning 795...

... a few years ago and it's holding up well. Not expensive, not too stiff. Highly recommended.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Check out the products before you start.

Tom: Regardless of what product you ultimately decide upon, you need to determine what is compatible with the fiberglass & acrylic. Many of the product such as 4200 & 5200 are not recommended for Lexan/Plastic to fiberglass.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Hot tip

In the infamous 13 page letter S2 owners are familiar with Tiara. I think you absolutely must mask off the windows non-sealing surfaces then abrade the bonding surface or forget it. I looked at an S2 with brand new windows...that had popped right off and were merely lying in place. Here is the excerpt...note that they repeatedley refer interchangeably to plexi as lexan and they are two different materials. The theory should be the same. A link to the whole letter is attached. I hope this is helpful. BobM "Here is how we installed the window's originally. We took a plexi window with the outer surface covered entirely in masking tape, and set it temporarily in its opening. Next we shimmed it (only if necessary) to ensure it would be flush with the surrounding fiberglass. We masked off the surrounding border of the opening and drew "cross hairs" on the masking tape (both on the window and the surrounding mask) to aid in alignment while installing the window with sealant. The perimeter of the window's surface (that comes in contact with the opening) was then roughed up with 80 grit sandpaper. Take care not to scratch any portion of the window that you will be looking through. With the window removed, both the opening perimeter and the edges of the window received a generous bead of black silicone caulk. Here comes the Chinese fire drill; the window was literally mushed in place from the outside, while someone inside the boat armed with a putty knife and lot of rags, caught the oozing caulk and wiped it on rags." "From the outside, once the window was in flush with its surroundings and aligned with the cross hairs, a plastic scraper was used to scrape all the outer ooze off flush with the window and cabin house. The caulk was then allowed to cure for twenty-four hours. The thicker the bead of silicone, the longer it needs to cure, and it will take a while before the entire seal is cured all the way through. The masking tape wasn't pulled off until after the twenty-four hours elapsed. If you just need to make your seal look pretty again, dig out the outer layer of sealant. Mask off, overfill with silicone and level with a plastic scraper. Now, the people that did this on regular basis did not really need to touch up the caulk much to make it look pretty. Nevertheless, if it does need to be touched up, here is what you do. You will need a small container of water, more rags, and more black silicone. Apply the silicone where you need it and then dip your finger in the water, smooth the caulk, wipe your finger on a rag. Re-wet your finger, smooth seam, wipe finger on rag, repeat as necessary. You may elect to do this step while the masking is all still in place." Things to Remember: #1. If you skimp on the caulk, you will end up with either air bubbles, voids in the seal or both. #2. Silicone does not stick unless all the surfaces are clean and dry. #3. Don't let someone talk you into using something other than silicone. The thermal expansion and contraction rates are drastically different between the Plexiglas and the fiberglass. So elasticity of the cured sealant is critical. #5. Your elastomeric poly-sulfides are better adhesives (remember cleanliness when using silicone). But, they cure hard and cannot expand and contract with the changes in temperature. #5. Keep solvents away from Plexiglas, Lexan, and acrylics. They will craze Plexiglas and speed its degradation. Even Windex has NO PLACE on or near these polycarbonate materials. For general cleaning, furniture polish like Pledge is your best bet. For more serious cleaning use denatured alcohol.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
For what..

For what it's work Catalina uses Dow 795 to install all their fixed port lights..

Status
Not open for further replies.