SD50 Saildrive whine

May 13, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Legend Jupiter
Just had the shaft replaced in the SD50 due to the magical issues these things have and when we run now we can hear a deep whine (not a high pitched) when we engage the SD50.

Has anyone experienced this and have any knowledge on where we should start looking?

Is there a possibility the shaft alignment is off or perhaps a bearing issue?

Appreciate any and all help

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Could be a bearing with improper preload or could be the gear backlash not set up correctly... or it could be gears wearing in to a slightly different set after the work (normal).. I would talk to the folks who did the work to see if they consider the noise "normal" and to get the concern "registered" with them so that if it fails, you can show that you raised the question.. (It has plenty oil in it? figured "yes" but had to ask)

May 13, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Legend Jupiter
Could be a bearing with improper preload or could be the gear backlash not set up correctly... or it could be gears wearing in to a slightly different set after the work (normal).. I would talk to the folks who did the work to see if they consider the noise "normal" and to get the concern "registered" with them so that if it fails, you can show that you raised the question.. (It has plenty oil in it? figured "yes" but had to ask)
Oil is good, might be a shim issue I am told but we also dived the boat yesterday and have noticed the prop on that engine has a blade that is off by around a 1/4 inch when we spin it and check clearance.. so I think we will resolve that first and try again.