Samson line question

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
hi All
I’m buying new line for my O’day 27. I am wanting Samson double braided. I see there’s a few options. LS, LST, XLS. I’m not planning on racing or anything like that. I see there’s a difference in weight support from the LS up to the XLS. Is there a line you’d all recommend?
Thanks

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
LS is quite good too, and very economical. A great choice for secondary lines on smaller to mid-size boats (topping lift, reefing lines, furler line (remove core), barber haulers, etc.).

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
This is what I need
1/4” 30’ furler red
1/2” white braided 60’
Green 1/2” 36’ main
1/4” 20’ white

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
1/2 line on a 27 foot boat is entirely too large. A max line size of 3/8" for genoa/jib sheets is recommended in any running rigging guide. I find that 5/16 or 3/8 works well for most other lines.....1/4 for some, even. One problem the oversize line will cause is excess friction in the blocks..... your mainsheet, vang, halyards and traveler will work much easier with smaller diameter line running through those multi sheave mainsheet blocks to the halyard sheaves or blocks up top.
It will also cost you less, much less. As for a particular line.... I like Samson Trophy Braid for sheets... it's got a spun fiber cover "fuzzy", that holds well on winch drums and feels very comfortable in the hand.

for halyards and other control lines
I'd go win nothing less than Samson XLS....
and 5/16 or 3/8 is more than adequate.
Things like vangs, cunninghams, reefing, etc 1/4 or 5/16

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Follow Joe's advice. I did for my O'day 25 and am glad I did.
What I did do wrong was try to use larger size line for the jib and main sheets. I tried 7/16" and it rubbed going through the blocks. I tried 5/16 and it was too hard to hold. I then went to 3/8" sheets. Went through the blocks easily and was easy to hold. Moral of the story is not to size the line larger than the boat spec calls for. Smaller is fine as newer lines are stronger than those made when the boat was new.

I again will be going with all Samson XLS on my C30 except for the main and jib sheets, which will be Trophy Braid.

I do have one question for @Joe
As boats get larger I assume hand trimming is replaced by winch trimming? If so, does the good hand of the fuzzy Trophy Braid have as much value?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Follow Joe's advice. I did for my O'day 25 and am glad I did.
What I did do wrong was try to use larger size line for the jib and main sheets. I tried 7/16" and it rubbed going through the blocks. I tried 5/16 and it was too hard to hold. I then went to 3/8" sheets. Went through the blocks easily and was easy to hold. Moral of the story is not to size the line larger than the boat spec calls for. Smaller is fine as newer lines are stronger than those made when the boat was new.

I again will be going with all Samson XLS on my C30 except for the main and jib sheets, which will be Trophy Braid.

I do have one question for @Joe
As boats get larger I assume hand trimming is replaced by winch trimming? If so, does the good hand of the fuzzy Trophy Braid have as much value?
While loads increase as boat sizes go up, having line with good hand still matters. Not only will you be able to use it as a hand load longer, the extra grip will allow the winch to hold it with fewer wraps.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Thanks JD. I'll be staying with Trophy Braid of the sheet lines.