Salon window treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 14, 2012
Catalina 309 Annapolis
Salon port treatment

Greetings all. Need some input on salon port treatments. The hatches and small ports have a straight forward solution with standard size privacy screens but due do the size of the large salon ports am wondering is the only solution custom made privacy screens? Small curtains on rods? What have you all done? Thanks

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
My 309, #82, came new with privacy curtains for the big windows. I don't know if they were an option. Must be.

Each of our large windows has two shades. They're a stiff, off-white, linen-like material that's has about one inch accordion pleats. They do a nice job, but they're a little slow to deploy and stow. They attach at the top, and then hang down to attach to Velcro at the bottom of the window. To put them back up, you have to gather each pleat by hand and then Velcro strap them into position at the top.

I searched the net just now for a photo of a 309 with blinds like mine and can't find any. Hmmmm. Anyway, here's a link to a picture of the same type of blinds on a Catalina 22, just to give you an idea.
http://catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=666

This style works pretty well, because they attach at the bottom, which accommodates the angle of the side of the coach roof.

May 28, 2012
Catalina 309 Brisbane
I had made external, clip on sunbrella covers which cover both the long cabin windows completely. I seldom remove them - great for privacy and stops glare in the cabin - it is still light enough from overhead hatches and other ports.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Frankfort IL
We bought our 309 in '06, hull #22, and one of the first things we did was to order salon window curtains. We didn't care for the ones Catalina offered, which had the long horizontal pleats, like the ones in the pic Siamese posted. At that time Sailboat Owners .com offered regular fabric curtains with vertical pleats with tracks that attached both above and below the salon windows. The tracks were problematic to install because of the 2-way curvature of the hull liner at that point, but we managed and have been very happy with them. I don't see them listed on their website any more, so you might want to call them at 877-932-7245 to see if they could give you a source. I thought I had pictures of the install but I can't find them. I will be at the boat again a week from today (the 5th) and could get a couple of pics then and post them if you wanted to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.