Salad with Catalina dressing

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
So the other day I rowed out to the boat and immediately noticed that something was wrong when I tried to motor back. I had my little 4.5 HP outboard at full throttle, yet I was barely moving. I had a weird, random jerking in my tiller and steering control was greatly diminished. Once at the dock, I discovered the problem... Massive amounts of Hydrilla jammed on the swing keel and rudder.
IMG_1594.PNG

IMG_1588.JPG

I cleared the rudder and pulled up what I could from the sides but it didn't help much. Lifted the keel and tried moving the boat back and forth but that did nothing. It was clear that I was gonna have to go under. I once had to fix a broken keel cable underwater just by holding my breath and working a few seconds at a time. It was a nightmare and it took an hour. I was also 15 years younger then so not gonna happen that way this time. Off to the dive shop to rent some scuba gear!

Visibility was terrible, only about a foot! The amount of weeds was incredible, it was like some kind of giant sea monster tangled in my keel. I had to use a fillet knife to cut it all free. Thought I could get some video of it but I kicked my Gopro off the dock :doh: so my weed slashing mission soon turned into a salvage operation. Visibility at the bottom was non existent, couldn't even see my fingers, but somehow I found it.

So what are your best weed stories and how did you deal with the problem?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
We can no longer sail on the best, closest lake to us, since it has become choked with that same weed. It sucks because that was our go-to lake for a day sail or one-night weekend trip. Great ramp, lots of parking, not many other boats around. We had a lot of fun there. We basically learned to sail on that lake. Anchoring in the middle put you far enough out to give privacy from all the homes along the shore.

But the last two times we sailed there, we had the same experience described above. Had to dive blind and pull enormous quantities of weed out of the keel cable in order to move at all.

Buh bye, Lake Harris, we'll miss you ...

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
We can no longer sail on the best, closest lake to us, since it has become choked with that same weed.
Any idea why is that happening there ? Excessive nutrients in the water ? Loss of competition ?

Lake Winnipeg is in trouble because of two major threats. Huge toxic algae blooms have shut down beaches for periods of time and are screwing up the lake's natural balance.
Mostly due to a combination of agricultural run off and altered overland drainage.
And now we have Zebra Mussels. Though.. I believe the mussels will solve the algae problem.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Most Hydrilla is a result of home aquarium owners flushing it down the drain.. .. We have water hyacinth which are free floating and can be blown by wind into thick mats on some bayous.. collecting quickly..

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Ayup, an aggressive invasive species that just chokes out every other aquatic vegetation.

My weed story is still attached to the keel cable, dried and slowly crumbling off. I think it may have been the result of a red tide that shut down the upper Sea of Cortez to certain seafoods early last Spring.
Sailed through masses of sea grass that fouled both keel and rudder. Rudder was easy, just let it kick up. But with the keel draped in greenery the boat wasn't moving well at all when I last hauled out around a month ago.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
have water hyacinth which are free floating
Man has learned how to control most of nature's pest by learning how to...
Eat Them!;)

The Louisiana Cajun's are the masters of this.
Any good Cajun recipes for Water hyacinth yet? @kloudie1

Jim...