Sail flaking tips

Jul 22, 2018
Catlina Capri 16.5 on/around Cape Cod...for now
takes two to fold it on original creases - just have to accept that it's too stiff to furl ... and when it can be furled it may be getting too close to needing replacement.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Once flaked the leech end tends to fall off the boom to the port side. I usually keep 3 sail ties on it. The luff end is fine. I have lazy jacks but where it falls off the boom is aft of them. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but the sail cover keeps it covered. It's loose footed, new this year, and really slippery.

Ken

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I'm also one that doesn't like creases in my sails. So I don't fold. I have a bungee cord running the length of my boom underneath with several bungee arms coming out along the length that I use to wrap the sail in the position it falls into. Then put the sail cover on which covers all.

dj

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Tartan 3700 Seattle - Elliot Bay
Our sail maker mentioned a trick that one of his customers used. Once you have your sail flaked the way you like it, put a Red or Green mark (permanent marker) on the Port or Starboard side of your flake - just a small mark.
I like this one...great idea.