Registered users don't see ads

Rudder replacement

Discussion in 'Capri 22 Repair & Maintenance' started by FCGunsett, Jul 26, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. FCGunsett

FCGunsett

Joined Jul 26, 2018
    2 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina Capri 22
    When Pigs Fly US Des Moines, IA
    I am looking for information on class legal rudder replacements. I looked at the rudders offered by Catalina Direct and they state that the new rudders that they offer are not class legal. Any input or recommendations would be helpful.

I am looking for a rudder because my rudder broke in half last evening. Apparently, water leaked in where the bolt that holds the lower pintle onto the rudder. I would recommend that anyone using an older barn door rudder check and make sure that theses holes have been sealed.

upload_2018-7-26_10-20-19.png

2. odj22sailor

odj22sailor

Joined Feb 16, 2017
    76 posts, 5 likes
    259 TBD
    Interesting that they would say it"s not Class legal as we don't have a class. With that said I bought a new rudder from Rudder Craft. They are using the Catalina 22 rudder which is a bit smaller and thinner. Just sailed Screwpile Regatta last weekend.
    Conditions were 10-25 for 3 days puffs to 30 knots. Used large Asymmetrical spinnaker. The boat handled just fine doing 13 knots+. GPS said SOG was 15 knots.....
    I still have my old but it will need a lot of work.

3. KennyBene

KennyBene

Joined Jun 9, 2012
    36 posts, 2 likes
    Beneteau 352
    US Centerport, NY
    Try this guy- a true "old salt" who used to make rudders for all Catalinas. He made me one for my old C30 and it was awesome. Plus a lot cheaper than any of the others.

http://www.boatrudder.com/index.htm

4. Gene Neill

Gene Neill

Joined Sep 30, 2013
    2,378 posts, 880 likes
    C-22, Albin Vega
    US central Florida
    @EditorC22NSA might shed some light on class legality. I don't race, but I have heard from people who do that those Ruddercraft rudders are not a problem.

5. EditorC22NSA

EditorC22NSA

Joined Apr 21, 2015
    127 posts, 41 likes
    Catalina 22 Sport #15582
    US Indianapolis
    Original message is from a Capri 22 owner. Capri has an Owner's Association, but very little "class" racing. I wouldn't worry about it for a Capri 22. If you must have a class-legal rudder, then two options: 1) Parted out Capri 22, or 2) Purchase from Catalina Yachts.

For a Catalina 22, currently not legal for Catalina 22 racing...especially at Catalina 22 class regional and national level. Local racing (PHRF) could be subject to very unlikely protest by others.

I think Rudder Craft's reference to "not class legal" is simply a general statement to cover themselves. I am sure they don't invest any time researching if a sailboat has an active/valid racing class. So, they make a generalized statement, then let you figure it out.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Gene Neill likes this.

Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.
Sail Trim Chart and Guide
When it comes to sailing, as basic as salt and pepper and just as indispensable!