Rudder questions 24 Hunter 1998

ronkS2

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 240 South Florida
On my rudder I have one single line to pull it up and one single line to pull it down. Is this right?

I have no problem kicking the rudder up as it floats up almost on it's own. Where my problem is in getting it down and locked in. I do not have enough leverage to pull it into place while the boat is in motion or stopped. What I normally have to do when I reach deep water is shut the engine and stand on the top of the rudder while pulling the line and locking it in the jam cleat. Am I missing any pulleys or tricks to get this done? Searched the forum and nothing popped up for me. I am boating in Palm Beach Inlet and the nominal water level is about 3 feet.

ronkS2

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 240 South Florida
I have been straight out and haven't logged in till today. Wanted to thank you very much for your reply and will follow the link and see your other post. I did pick up the double spring to help on impact, and hope to maybe incorporate your suggestion with this. Time will tell

Regards,
Ron

ronkS2

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 240 South Florida
I purchased the CL257, really neat design. Going to install this first and let the spring take a back seat for now.

Thanks again to all who chimed in with their ideas.

ron