Rudder Difference?

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
Just for grins I looked up the cost of a new O'day 34 rudder at shop.odayowners.com;
Oday 34 (rudder) 805177 Available $1,831.00
and then compared it with the cost of a new rudder for the O'day 35;
Oday 35 (rudder) 805178 Available $1,955.00

So, other than $124, what's the difference?

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
I don't know off the top of my head, but I can find out for you, they are probably completely different rudders for completely different boats. Give me a call if you'd like, 877-932-7245 x116, Mon-Fri, 9-3:30 Pacific.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
I thought is was well established that every additional foot of boat resulted in an increased cost for fittings, storage, painting, etc., so it doesn't matter if the rudder is different. It is just the per foot upcharge.

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
I purchased a new rudder for my 35. The PO had modified the old one and I was seeing evidence of rust coming through when I peeled the gelcoat off of it. I have noticed since then that there may be two different rudders for these boats. One of them seems to have an angled rise at the top of the rudder that is different from others that I have looked at. I purchased my rudder from Foss Foam in Florida. I think they made the original rudders for Oday. It supposedly has stainless post and flags. Original rudders may have had steel flags.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
Back in the '80s 304 stainless steel was used extensively on these, and other boats. You'll find that the rudder post, and the quadrant, and most of the fasteners are all 304 stainless. I believe that the flag was also 304. Today we have 316, which has more chromium content, and is, therefore, less susceptible to staining (corrosion). Regardless, BOTH alloys require the presence of oxygen to develop a protective film. Neither alloy would have much oxygen while buried in the foam in the rudder.

I believe that @danm1 has put his finger on the issue. It is hard for me to believe that there would be any difference, other than the $124, for a new rudder for the 34 vs the 35.

By the way, each year when I have my boat hauled, I siphon over a gallon of nasty looking water out of the rudderpost from the rudder.

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
I have my rudder at home for a delamination repair. I laid up the first two layers of glass yesterday. For those rudder replacement prices, I can lay up a lot of glass! Not too much fun however.