RRRRRRRR Halyard

Apr 6, 2016
Catalina 30 Gulfport
I recently bought a 1986 Catalina 30 that is in decent shape. One of the things needing replacing was Main Halyard ..replaced ..easy fix among other things. Went sailing last weekend and not sure how but halyard jumped off of roller and is stuck. Any ideas how to unstick without having to go up mast?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
If the main halyard jumped off the sheave, then I'd be concerned that the sheaves might not be in great shape. They might be ok and maybe it was a fluke, but unless you have confidence in the other halyard sheaves, I'd be reluctant to rely on one to go up the mast.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I'll second the comment from Davidasailor -- I would never go up a mast unless I personally knew the quality of the halyards and sheaves. It's a long way down, with a hard stop at the bottom, if something goes wrong. How much would pulling the mast cost (and is that cheaper than your life)? I hate to spend money too, but it may be a good time to examine all the masthead stuff of your new boat - antennae, windex, sheaves, replace that anchor light with an LED, etc.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
When I bought my 1996 Catalina 28, the main was difficult to raise, and the halyard came off the roller and got stuck, just like yours. As others have suggested, it's probably the sheave. They take a heck of a beating from the UV up there on your mast.

My boat was new to me and I didn't have a system for going up the mast yet, so I took it to the yard and they accessed the top of the mast with their bucket crane. If you have a yard with one of those handy, that might be your easiest/cheapest way to replace the sheave.

Of course, while your at it, definitely have the yard replace all the sheaves. When I did mine, I ordered the sheaves online and gave them to the yard, just to be sure they had the right parts. I used a ball bearing sheave for the main halyard (gets used often), and for the less used halyards, just regular plain bearing sheaves. Either way, the sheaves don't cost a lot. Been a couple years since I had it done, but it probably cost around 300 bucks.

You really need to know what's going on up there.

Apr 6, 2016
Catalina 30 Gulfport
Yea I guess thats the answer then ..like you all said ..This way I know..Thanks

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Good advice here. I'll go up ANY mast as long as I trust the halyard and the shives. One of yours is bad so the others are guilty by association. A good lesson. Drop the stick.

Apr 6, 2016
Catalina 30 Gulfport
I replaced the bad one because the idiot..I mean person that I got it from placed it so that it was rubbing and of course deteriorated..the spin Hal is fine

Feb 22, 2010
Oday 322 Delaware River
I had a similar symptom. When striking the main one day, the halyard jammed half way down. I hired the yard, they went up with their bucket crane and found the main halyard sheave partially disintegrated and the halyard jammed in the remnants of the sheave - UV damage. At that time the boat was 20 years old.
As they did not have the stock sheaves, they removed the remainder of the sheave and I ran on the bare pin for the remainder of the season (not great but it survived the season and got me going again). Next spring I had the mast lowered. I ordered all new sheaves online from US Mast. I replaced them all. It was time for the mast to come down anyway. I also took the opportunity to replace the mast anchor light, the steaming/deck light, redo some wiring, and check all the rigging very carefully.
I also ran a messenger line for a spin halyard, should I decide to buy a cruising spinnaker in the future.
I also took tons of photo's for future reference on the mast top fittings and rigging for me (or the next owner).

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I hope this post isn't hijacking: But I think boat yards across the country who charge so much to lower a mast are missing out on a lot of profitable work. If it was just a bit more reasonable to drop a stick there is so much work we would have done. Sheaves, anchor lights, wiring, instrument senders, antenna, rigging work, spreaders and spreader boots, halyard for whatever, furling hardware etc. The proof of my theory is all the different schemes folks work out to climb the mast to do these tasks. Our local yard is always complaining that sailboats don't generate any revenue for them. My answer is that they don't understand sailboats. There's plenty to be done. They just have to re-align their thinking. Dropping the masts at a reasonable price would be a good start.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
The local yard here quoted $160 to drop the stick using a crane. Then they informed me I had to arrange with a "yard approved rigger" to restep the mast afterward. He quoted $1500. Needless to say I looked for alternative methods to do the work up top. I felt like the lowball quote to drop it was to get me in the door so they could split the outrageous amount to restep the mast with the rigger.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Did the rigger by chance have an eye patch and say ARRRRRR when he gave the quote?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Whether you go up, or the mast comes down, take pictures for future reference. Stay attachments, top of the masthead, sheaves... whatever. Include the steaming light. Make a note in the log book of what kind of LED bulb you put in the anchor light, etc.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I hope this post isn't hijacking: But I think boat yards across the country who charge so much to lower a mast are missing out on a lot of profitable work. If it was just a bit more reasonable to drop a stick there is so much work we would have done. Sheaves, anchor lights, wiring, instrument senders, antenna, rigging work, spreaders and spreader boots, halyard for whatever, furling hardware etc. The proof of my theory is all the different schemes folks work out to climb the mast to do these tasks. Our local yard is always complaining that sailboats don't generate any revenue for them. My answer is that they don't understand sailboats. There's plenty to be done. They just have to re-align their thinking. Dropping the masts at a reasonable price would be a good start.
So true! Most everyone in Maine seems to drop their mast every fall. My brother in law up there claims it is only a 600 charge round trip. But here in Maryland, the 1600 to 3400 charge makes annual mast lowering impractical.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
It is going to cost me about 1000 to round trip my mast. Another reputable yard wanted 1600. When they pulled mine they had 3 people working on it for about an hour. At 95/hr each it can add up. I did have boom removed and all lines moved back to the mast.

Tim22

Jun 16, 2014
Hunter 310 Ottawa
Most people here drop the mast themselves every fall and raise it in the spring. The club has a masting crane and 3 people can do the job in about half an hour. Total cost - a round of cold ones. My boat is 31 ft but there are several others up to 42 ft. that have no problem doing it themselves.

Tim

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Boy, are we spoiled. Have a fixed XX ton crane at the slips that we use to launch and retrieve boats and routinely raise and lower sticks with it. Also have a utility pole based mast crane in the boat yard for the same purpose. All club labor for the most part with a property manager that assists the less experienced members with the jobs for a nominal fee.
This year, I did some work on my mast, replaced the furler, and after raising it discovered that I needed to put a halyard diverter on it. I didn't want to go to the trouble of dropping the stick to do it so I hired a guy with a "cherry picker" that was nearby the lake to take me up there so I could put on the additional part - so that might be something to look into if the boat can be brought up along side an area that would be accessible to a bucket truck.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Talking to my Bud. last night who has a Bene 34 deck stepped. He took his mast down in his slip with 2 extension ladders and 5 friends. Ladders tied to the toe rail on each side and lashed together on top. A rope and block attached just above the C of G on the mast. Used the main winch for up and down and one man to walk the foot back when the weight was off it. Sounded scary to me but he said it was easy. Not sure if the Catalina is deck stepped or not.