retro pop top, or second "boom"?

Apr 20, 2016
Catalina 22 293 Huntington Lake, CA
Hehe. My wife has perpetual bruises when on ANY sailboat. I once got "warned" by a guy who thought I was abusive. Currently, our #1 priority is being trailerable.
If it wasn't, I'd get something where I only bashed parts of my body, other than my head. Hehe.
But on topic.. I don't see the point of making a non poptop C22 into one with one, when you could easily swap the low number hull with someone who had a poptop version. Then spend time outfitting it the way you want.
You may even come out ahead, depending on boat condition. :D
Of course, they sold a lot of C30's for a reason. ;)
I also sail for different reasons, but like golf or cruising on the Harley, it is something I don't like to do alone. But, I admit, that boat is my "happy place" and I have learned a lot about myself sitting with that tiller, and being taken out by the traveler on more than 5 occasions. But being lake bound limits where I can go, and for what purpose. I know Tiger Lilly (at her age - 48 or 9) would take some major rehab to get in anything other than Mission Bay. I appreciate the thoughts and suggestions, as some of you have spent more time and money on your floats than I have, and have wisdom, not just wise cracks. This is a good time of year to contemplate changes, and maybe even make a plan. Thanks for your input, brothers.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
But, I admit, that boat is my "happy place" and I have learned a lot about myself sitting with that tiller, and being taken out by the traveler on more than 5 occasions. But being lake bound limits where I can go, and for what purpose.
Same here. What I have learned of myself, is that once I'm on a sailboat, it seems to matter little what size it is, or where I'm sailing.
That's one reason I have no single preferred style of sailboat. The boat types I like, each fit a use that I find enjoyable. Though... I'm not sure I'm in good enough shape to handle an Intl 505 anymore. :(
Being lake bound is exactly why I currently want a trailerable. The "idea" was a floating RV... sleep in it on land, while on the way to some other body of water. At the very least, being stuck on one local lake is against my adventurous, exploring, inclinations.

This is a good time of year to contemplate changes, and maybe even make a plan.
Amen to that !

Last edited: