retro pop top, or second "boom"?

Apr 20, 2016
Catalina 22 293 Huntington Lake, CA
Cleaning Tiger Lilly and putting the boom inside for safe keeping; I noticed the compression post had dried to the point the two halves split. I laid the boom down in the companionway, removed the post, and hit my head on the hatch when I stood up, as it was not nearly as open as I thought it was, then tripped over the boom. Ended up with my rear in the galley drain and face into the space the keel winch had been the day before. My question: has anyone retrofitted a pop top to their low, un-pop cabin? I have cordless power tools, and have learned you can always slap some more fiberglass on and start again. Still, being able to pop a top while maneuvering inside the cabin, especially when moored in the driveway where my neighbors can hear me bang around and such, might draw less attention to my love/hate relationship with gravity...
BTW, quick sanding, some clamps and gorilla glue repaired the compression post. My pride and forehead are a different story. Thanks

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Whatfiero just beat me to it.

I've never heard of it being done, but if you can dream it, you can do it. Speaking for myself though, I'd probably "trade" the boat for one that already had poptop ... 'cuz I have a love/hate relationship with work. I definitely like sailing better. :)

Remember, once you have a poptop, you won't be able to live without a poptop tent, which you'd probably also have to DIY. Project creep ...

Apr 20, 2016
The thought of a 30 has crossed my mind.... the trailer for one, though, not so much... I was thinking that all those tuition payments to colleges for my kids would be repaid with assistance on my little, er, projects, but again, no so much. I was hoping some one would offer a part/kit number they used and are thrilled with the results, or offer me $20K for the lowest number Cat 22 still on the water. Not that seeing it leave would be the 2nd happiest day of this boat owners life, but it would make it easier for the Admiral to change flags than add to the fleet. During the summer, my neighbors, while likely still irritated at the boat in front of our house, would be impressed with keel size of a 30, and I could claim a victory in one 'mine is bigger than yours' contest. And while most would not put a 30 on a trailer (very often), I would have total control over who parks in front of my house. And on my side of the street. Oh, well.
Maybe a nice, soft headliner (or a helmet) would work...

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
lowest number Cat 22 still on the water
C22 racers would want it if it was a low HIN number.

If you want to stick with Catalina, you can get a C25 swing keel for around $4.5K here. It has better headroom with the poptop closed/open and it still trailerable.

@jmczzz is sailing the great loop with one.

FWIW: I am considering, and marketing to the admiral, the idea of getting a trailerable 30 footer.

Apr 20, 2016
#293 is the lowest I have seen.... although I met a gentleman at Huntington lake on Labor Day with a 1974 model, but his was a 4-digit number, as I recall. He showed a little "low number envy," though, and I was pleased! Of course, I then proceeded to drive out of the parking lot without ensuring the pin on the tongue was in place and pulled the trailer by the chain with the trailer changing its relative distance to my bumper by 18 inches.... it appears my ying/yang are having fun at my expense! I have been warned by friends about the 3 foot increase - 5 would have been better, and 8 the best. I have limited experience in blue water, but would like, someday, to head to the other side of Ana Capa, and I don't know if a 25 would be big enough to make the Admiral comfortable for that adventure in that "small" of a boat. Guess we shouldn't have rented 'Adrift' last week. I saw a Hobie 33 the other day, and it looked lighter than a Catalina 30, but it was in the water, so I don't know. That was one sleek lookin' hot rod, though. It may be a better trailer-friendly set up.... hummmm.....

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I had someone tell me the same thing at our club that the low numbers are the ones to get. I think he told me there is an outfit that does a full restoration on them because they are the lightest and demand serious money on the racing circuit.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I saw a Hobie 33 the other day, and it looked lighter than a Catalina 30, but it was in the water, so I don't know.
In spite of it's length, the Hobie 33 only has 48" of headroom... more or less the same as the Catalina 22

Any 30ft boot that is trailerable needs to be light compared to a non-trailerable one like the Catalina 30.
And be narrow enough to not need a wide load permit etc.

A trailerable 30ft boat will be nothing like a Catalina 30, in interior volume, comfort, or handling.

I've been considering a C&C Mega for ages.
Like the Hobie 33 it is narrow and light for it's length. Spartan interior. It's designed as a racing boat with a crew, not a cruiser.
While doable, it's a bit of work to make one into a light pseudo cruising boat. Even then it is a serious compromise that may not work well where I sail.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2016
I had someone tell me the same thing at our club that the low numbers are the ones to get. I think he told me there is an outfit that does a full restoration on them because they are the lightest and demand serious money on the racing circuit.
He didn't say whereabouts this out fit may be? She had a racer reputation in her prime, and I am not ready to give up on her... but maybe the bumps, bruises and open wounds are a sign of my future with her....

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I don't know if a 25 would be big enough to make the Admiral comfortable for that adventure in that "small" of a boat.
"comfort" comes from knowing what a boat and it's crew can do, and doing things accordingly.
Lots of tiny boats have sailed the world, and larger ones have sunk trying.
Size is not the measure of a boat's suitability.
(Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying a C25 is a bluewater boat at all)

I have been surprised at what a C22 can handle.
Hopefully she is the type who will feel safer after she gets experience.
Worst case, leave her at home and take a buddy for that type of trip.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I wish I could remember the outfit, the person who told me this has left our club so I can't ask him. I thought if this was a legitimate service / company other C22 might know of them.

He didn't say whereabouts this out fit may be? She had a racer reputation in her prime, and I am not ready to give up on her... but maybe the bumps, bruises and open wounds are a sign of my future with her....

Apr 20, 2016
L.R.: I just looked up the floor plan of the Hobie 33, and came to the same conclusion... too narrow, too short, too much to set up by myself. I have family in San Diego (Mission Bay and San Diego Yacht Clubs) who have several "fast boats" and a Cat 30. I love the interior of the Cat, and think something like that would be a nice step up. Again, the issue is distance to sail, and availability of my crew. I hate to admit it, but I may have exchanged my need for speed to desire for cruising in comfort and with the Admiral more than the kids... but maybe one of the kids will marry someone (ahem!) who thinks sailing with the old man should be a thing remembered.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
maybe the bumps, bruises and open wounds are a sign of my future with her
Hehe. My wife has perpetual bruises when on ANY sailboat. I once got "warned" by a guy who thought I was abusive.

When it comes to the C22.. I'm not sure which is worse.. bashing my head, or avoiding that, and developing a perpetual stoop. The big issue I find is when we switch the poptop up/down. It takes a few bashes to remind me.

Still. We like our C22. Every boat is a compromise, and for this point in our lives, this small trailerable boat fits. Of course, that doesn't mean we can't wish for a bit more headroom and/or performance.
My problem is that we like sailing for multiple reasons and usage scenarios. And they don't make a boat that ticks all our boxes.

Currently, our #1 priority is being trailerable.
If it wasn't, I'd get something where I only bashed parts of my body, other than my head. Hehe.

But on topic.. I don't see the point of making a non poptop C22 into one with one, when you could easily swap the low number hull with someone who had a poptop version. Then spend time outfitting it the way you want.
You may even come out ahead, depending on boat condition. :D

Of course, they sold a lot of C30's for a reason. ;)

Last edited:

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Hehe. My wife has perpetual bruises when on ANY sailboat. I once got "warned" by a guy who thought I was abusive.

When it comes to the C22.. I'm not sure which is worse.. bashing my head, or avoiding that, and developing a perpetual stoop. The big issue I find is when we switch the poptop up/down. It takes a few bashes to remind me.

Still. We like our C22. Every boat is a compromise, and for this point in our lives, this small trailerable boat fits. Of course, that doesn't mean we can't wish for a bit more headroom and/or performance.
My problem is that we like sailing for multiple reasons and usage scenarios. And they don't make a boat that ticks all our boxes.

Currently, our #1 priority is being trailerable.
If it wasn't, I'd get something where I only bashed parts of my body, other than my head. Hehe.

But on topic.. I don't see the point of making a non poptop C22 into one with one, when you could easily swap the low number hull with someone who had a poptop version. Then spend time outfitting it the way you want.
You may even come out ahead, depending on boat condition. :D

Of course, they sold a lot of C30's for a reason. ;)
Look at a Rhodes 22 might fit the bill on the comfort side

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Hi Guys... I watch quiet a few YouTube channels of sailors around the world... Check out this link to a guy by the Name of Simon Carter who recently purchased a 30 foot trailer-able sailboat... in Ozzie down under!

Sure would be nice to have something like that locally!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Sure would be nice to have something like that locally!
Nice boat ! Never heard of the brand.( but everyone should know Bruce Farr) A quick search shows none on this side of the Pacific.

I've long been wondering about a C&C Mega 30. There are 3 on the lake we sail.
A forum member recently finished a 2 year refit on one, with modifications that have got me seriously considering it again
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/complete-refurb-78-c-c-mega-30.160540/n.

There's a Rhodes 22 at our marina. In some aspects it is a TINY bit better comfortwise than a C22, but not enough to justify the switch from our C22 New Design IMO.
@Catmando maybe it would be a good choice for you ? Solidly built, has a poptop, and still easy to single hand, and tow.

Last edited: