Retired

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Les. One day and already showing signs of being "retired challenged ". It no longer is called Global warming. To difficult to defend. It is now "Climate Change". That way your more correct which ever way the temps go.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I put a remote temperature sensor in the fridge to watch the beer and figured I could still do every thing else in an Analog manner.
Digital schmigital. Just make sure the mountains are blue before you drink it.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Congratulations Les. You're not planning in staying in that cold, rainy state are you? That's fine when you're working, but not so much when you're retired.
Maybe he should move on down to Charleston where he can hang out with his old buddies who moved from WA. There's a beautiful H326 for sale at Folly Beach. (My wife wants it so please don't let her know I told you about it.)

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Thanks Kermit. We plan on staying on the west side of the state, probably moving to some where in Kitsap Pennisula. I would like Bellingham area for easier access to the San Juans and Gulf Islands.

The moving goal is outside the Seattle traffic and taxes. I also want to downsize a 5 bedroom 1.5 acre property is a bit much for just the wife and I

Les

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I really liked Bellingham but everyone made me promise to say it rained and was cold every day, something about "We got all the ex-Californians we need, thank you very much" . I used to get a giggle out of those signs saying "aggressive drivers will be ticketed".

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Congrats, Les !! I have been out since my 60th birthday, 9 years ago.. As the saying goes, I do miss some of the fine folks I worked/collaborated with but I don't miss the deadlines nor do I miss the commuting traffic!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Congratulations Les! Now everyday is a Saturday.
I retired on June 1.
After 5 weeks I went back part time. Couple of days a week depending on the weather. Gives me a chance to connect with my work friends and still get plenty of free time to do those things I never had time to get to.

Enjoy your time!

Last edited:

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I have found that projects take longer. What I had to do in a weekend now takes a week. Been retired 8 years and loving it.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
A big woohoo to you, Les. Shelter Bay has no wait list and permanent moorage rates better than most. Also places you right in the islands. Hope to see you on the water very soon.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Terry and all others too

Currently beached in Anacortes at Marine Service Center - the best by any measure - while I build a 0 hour motor that is well underway. In addition to my 0 hour motor build - need bottom paint opportunity but no bottom paint allowed at Marine Service. Can you identify yard that allows bottom paint by owner in LaConner? If not then can you provide contact person at Shelter Bay?

Charles

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
The problem with the "do it yourself" yards is they require you to rent the ground cloths/tarps/sanders/etc/etc. check it out. Its probably easier to just let Marine Service Center to do it. There is also another yard in Skyline

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Charles, been a few years since I checked, but they did allow do-it-yourself bottom painting. You can contact them here:
La Conner Maritime Service
EPA placing much pressure on the marine service centers to stop the practice. Usually they place your boat on an existing ground cloth if the yard is gravel, but not necessary if your boat is on asphalt. To avoid tenting I hand sand the hull to prep before painting. I use a swivel pad with dry wall sand paper on a five foot long painter's pole that contractors use to smooth out dry wall before mudding and painting. Goes pretty fast.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Les,

Congratulations on retirement! My wife retired about a month ago and now I hardly see her. She's having a blast!

Unfortunately, I still have a number of years to go before I can join the ranks of the retired.

dj