Resealed every part but one and it bit me!

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
I have debated on posting this info but finally decided if I could help one person out there avoid the disaster we had then I needed to share this info.
In the last 3 years we had almost completely refurbished our 1983 Hunter 20 sailboat. It was our first boat and neither of us had a clue about sailboats when we bought it, but how difficult could they be? Well lets just say we have gotten a real education. In the last three years we have removed all but one piece on the boat and resealed them all, repainted, new cushions, new sails, running rigging, numerous modifications to make the boat suit our needs better. Essentially we had a totally refurbished boat if not for one part. I keep referring to every piece but one for a reason.
So I asked Cindy to marry me one snowy New Years Eve at midnight standing on cross country skis in the middle of a blizzard in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. She said yes! That should prove how crazy both of us are. When it came time to pick a honeymoon location Cindy suggested sailing the North Channel. God bless her. So the last year has been spent researching, working on the boat, and adding things to it to make our week aboard as comfy as I could for Cindy. It has been in a slip for the past two years with no issues and we sailed her a lot so all was good, so I thought.
We have a story book wedding at sunset on the beach at Empire MI and I scored major points for pulling off a huge surprise for Cindy by arranging to have her sisters, kids, and the two couples we run around with show up at the wedding without her knowing anything about it. Those points scored would get used so much quicker than I ever thought possible.
We take off from Empire to go to the North Channel as high as kites we were so happy
20160716_080104 (Large).jpg

We get to Spanish and step the mast and rig the boat splashing her in about 5 pm. We get about 5 miles away from the marina and I discover water in the keel locker. Oh crap, turn around and go back. Long story short, we got back to the marina right at dusk, got attacked by every mosquito in Ontario while we tried to get the tent top on, I had a complete and utter meltdown in the boat trying to kill the 1000 mosquitos that we trapped in the boat with us totally smoking all the points I got for the wedding surprise, spent the first three nights of our honeymoon in the boat on the trailer in the trailer parking lot, had to make not one but two trips to the boat lift at Almenara marina in Spanish, got woke up at 5 am to the sound of the bilge pump running with 2 inches of water in the floor of the boat, and in the end were not even close to the real cause of the leak. We did finally get to spend two nights out on the water but yours truly got to wake up every hour to mop up water that continued to leak in. Lesson learned, never ever take your boat on your honeymoon with you! If you want all the details of what all went wrong you can read about it in our blog at http://adventuresofthememorymakers.blogspot.com/
What I was able to pinpoint on the water before we pulled out was that the leak/leaks were coming in from up at that the top of the keel trunk. On our Hunter 20 the keel winch sits on top of the keel trunk in the cabin. There is a hole cut in the top of the keel trunk that the winch line goes down through. There is a "standpipe" inside of the winch box that extends down below the top of the keel trunk and 6 inches above it that holds the rollers and allows the waterline to actually rise above the top of the keel trunk if needed. I started noticing that the lower the bow was in the water or the bigger the waves were that we were crashing into the more water would come in. At times it would down right spray in between the winch box and the top of the keel trunk when we were falling off 3 and 4 foot waves trying to get from Fox Island to the Benjamins. Needless to say we did not make it there, opting to turn around and run with the wind instead. This is what the winch and keel trunk look like in the boat.
20160801_165356 (Large).jpg

So after trailering the boat for 2000 miles we get home and get the boat off the trailer and remove the keel, for the third time in a week. If there is ever any doubt how strong 3M 4200 is let me just say that once I removed the four bolts holding the keel brackets to the boat the 400lb keel stayed firmly attached to the boat. I had to lower the jack I had under the keel and kick the keel several times to get it to break free from the boat.
With the keel removed I looked up in the keel trunk at the underside of the winch box and this is what I saw
Looking up into the keel trunk.jpg

The white stuff in the corners is a water activated epoxy we put on anything we thought might be the leak when we had it in the lift for the second time. We were close to the problem but no way we could have fixed it from below. The bigger issue I now know is where the winch box attaches to the trunk. The hole around the winch is larger than it needs to be for and aft and there is a hole drilled in the top of the trunk that is just open. I can really tell much so I have to get the winch box out.
Now I have to deal with the reason that we had removed all but one piece of hardware from the boat. The mast compression strut is welded to the top of the winch box. I never removed the winch box for two reasons, one, did not think I needed to, and second, I did not think I could get it out. Well I was right, it would not come out no matter what I tried as either the strut was welded to the box after the pieces were installed or it was installed prior to attaching the cabin top to the hull. It had to come out so it was time to get serious. I used a micrometer to measure the outside diameter of the compression strut then looked online till I found an aircraft structural aluminum tube that was just a few thousandths larger ID than the tube's OD. Once I had that tube in my hands I cut the compression strut about 6" above the winch box. Now I could remove both pieces from the boat.
This is what I discovered.
winch box removed.jpg

A mess would be the quick description of it. There were several serious issues going on here. Not sure where to start. There were multiple unused holes, easy fix. Whoever cut the hole for the winch box cut it too long fore and aft and the front edge on the left side of the hole in the pic is so think it is like a knife edge. Then to top it off whoever did it used one thin layer of fiberglass cloth and some sort of resin to seal the edges. The fiberglass was no longer attached to the edge of the hole. In short it was just a flipping mess.
I already felt horrible about how the honeymoon sail went to begin with but once I saw this I was almost sick at my stomach. Not that I could not fix it but that I did not fix it sooner. But how the heck was I to know what I could not see was going to shoot me in the foot? Time to wipe up the tears and get busy fixing this mess.
I started out by cleaning the area and removing what little sealant there was. Then I ground out what little fiberglass was stuck to the edges of the hole. The front edge of hole needed to be wider than a knifes edge so after determining how much wider I could make it I used thickened epoxy to build that lip back out and sealed all the edges of the hole. I filled all the unused holes and the mystery hole on the underside of the keel trunk.
Then there was the access hole. A genius PO at some point cut a 3x4 inch access hole into the port side of the keel trunk that allowed them to replace the keel pennant line with the boat on the trailer. It works but that hole is under the water line. 2 years ago when I removed the thin metal plate covering that hole I discovered they just cut a hole and did not seal the edges. Knowing we were going to be putting it on a slip that was not going to work so I sealed the edges. I used a piece of 1/4 plexiglass to cover the hole so I could at least see in to the trunk thinking that might be handy at some point. Once on the water I discovered that the water line was about half way up the window. I never felt good about this setup so I decided to go ahead and remove it and fix the keel trunk wall while I had everything apart. Here it is ground out and ready to repair
access hole ground out.jpg

I got really lazy about taking pictures at this point. Probably because it was 95 plus degrees and 100% humidity outside everyday while I was working on this and I was just miserable in the boat. No body lives in Southern Indiana in the summer because they want to...
Anyway I did take this pic showing the hole after I rebuilt the front edge and filled all the holes.
ready to go back together.jpg

I cored the access hole and used thickened epoxy from both inside and out then used two layers of cloth and multiple coats of epoxy inside and out to repair it. Lets just say it is real fun trying to work epoxy in a 2 1/2" wide keel trunk above your head in 100 degree heat.
With repairs made I applied a very liberal coating of 4200 around the opening and to the underside of the winch box then reinstalled the winch box. Sealer oozed out from all four side and down into the keel trunk around the opening so I feel much better about it being water tight now.
The name compression strut is one of the few names of parts of a sailboat that makes sense. The load from the standing rigging compresses the mast down onto the cabin top. Without the strut the top would probably collapse at some point unless the boat was designed to not have one. Our boat needs one as the top relaxed about a 1/2" once I removed it. I wound up having to use a small bottle jack and a piece of 2x4 beside the compression strut top mounting plate to jack the cabin top up enough to get the tube to line back up with the stub sticking up off the winch box. Once I had the two sections back in line with each other I was able to slide the structural aluminum tube I was using as a sleeve down over joint. It was literally a friction fit. If at some point 30 years down the road someone has to do this again they will be able to remove the winch box and reseal it without too much difficulty.
So now we can say we have removed and resealed every piece on the boat! Owning this boat has been a truly educational and humbling experience. It leaked horribly from day one after being assured by the previous owner it was a “dry” boat. We fought leak after leak till we thought we had them all taken care of only to be bit one more time by some previous owner’s ignorance. I am not a stupid man, I am a commercial pilot, a licensed aircraft mechanic, I build houses, make anything I need or want, but this boat has made me feel stupid time and time again.
I wanted our honeymoon to be a trip we would remember forever. While I am sure we will never forget this trip it will not for the reasons I had hoped for. Once we cleaned up all the blood spatter in the boat from the mosquito massacre we made the best of it and had a great time. God bless her, Cindy is just the most incredible little lady to ever walk on the earth. She took each and every set back in stride and was just happy to be away and with me, I have no clue why on the “with me” part. We met some really nice peeps and did get to see some really beautiful areas of the North Channel. We can’t say enough nice things about Russell and Jean at Almenara Marina in Spanish. They went way out of the way to help us and even put us up for the night while our boat hung in the lift. In the end no matter how much you prepare there will always be things pop up that are beyond your control.
I posted this hoping to help some other poor unsuspecting boat owner from going through something like what we did. If your boat is 30 plus years old like ours is and there is anything below the water line that can leak, chances are good that it probably will at some point. Do yourself, and your blood pressure, a favor and just reseal it now before I bites you when you least expect it!

Sam

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats Cindy and Sam
Great report. A story that makes you smile, cry, and recognize you've enjoyed a bonding experience.
Best wishes.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Thanks John,
A bonding experience is definitely what I would call being trapped in a 20 foot boat with a 1000 hungry blood sucking mosquitos on the first night of your honeymoon LOL!!!!

Sam

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Wow, that is quite the story of perseverance in boat repair. What strikes me, though, is that I don't think I would contemplate that trip with that boat. I think that boat is fine for an inland lake, but the North Channel in 3 to 4 foot waves? I doubt any of the previous owners based their projects on that kind of exposure. I know others would disagree, but I don't think the boat is suitable for that trip, no matter how well maintained. To me, it seems like a bit of a stretch for that boat. In good weather windows, I'm sure you can get lucky and have no problems, but consider the flip side.
I understand the desire for a trailerable boat to get to those locations. If that is how you envision your future in sailing, wouldn't it be better to consider a sturdier and roomier trailer sailer?

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Scott,
I understand you point and while a larger boat would have been better suited for the conditions we met our boat really would have done fine had we been able to stick to our original plan of having extra days built in to stay at anchor when the wind and waves got past the comfort point. But as it turned out we lost those days to the leak repair and wound up just saying the hell with it lets go. In hind sight, not one of my better decisions but in the end it worked.
I would do it again if I could and in our boat. The parts of the NC that we were sailing were really more like a series of lakes tied together and so long as we had the time in our schedule to stay at anchor when the wind and waves got too much. It was well within the capability of the boat as long as good judgment was used. The week we were there was the windiest they had had all season. Go figure...
As far as comfort went we are fine on our boat. Not to say a larger boat would not have been nice to have more room but it was totally doable on ours, especially with the tent top on the pop top. Cindy can stand up in it, I just need to remember than I can't...

Sam

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Any pretty lady that would experience that and still want to sail is a keeper.
Congratulations!

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Cindy is definitely a keeper! We really did wind up having a great time. We really enjoyed cruising around in the dinghy and climbing on the rock islands. Really just wished we would have had the whole week like originally planned. Not may women like storms, much less riding storms out in boats, but Cindy got excited when we had to pull in Oak Bay to ride out a line of severe thunderstorms. I feel sorry for other guys as they broke the mold after Cindy was created!

Sam

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Keel Gasket.jpg
Keel gasket1.jpg
A common fix for leaks through the keel trunk is the installation of a keel gasket. They prevent water from gushing and splashing into the keel trunk. They also reduce some drag associated with water flow around the opening.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
We're back on the water!!! The weather finally broke, if just for a few hours and we headed to the lake. On the way there we drove through rain so hard we had to pull over. Cindy asked more than once if we should wait for better weather. I assured her we would have a window of dry time to step the mast and get on the water. We pulled into the boat ramp and started getting ready to launch just as the clouds opened up, again. I put on my Frog Toggs and kept working. By the time I was ready for Cindy's help we had gotten a quick inch of rain and it was down to a sprinkle. But the time we were ready to launch the sun was breaking out and winds were upwards of 20 mph.
We launched and headed out into the main lake with white caps starting to break. Double reefed with about a 1/3 of the head sail out we beat into the wind while I went forward to weight the bow down. We took several waves over the bow as I wanted to induce as much water into the keel trunk as I could. If it was going to leak again might as well get it over with and do it right off the bat. Another round of storms was coming so we headed up into a cove to anchor and prep for the storm. All was dry and looking great so far.
We rode out the storm which took all the wind with it so sadly no sunset sail. So we cooked some pizzas in the grill and enjoyed a great evening on the hook catching up with our slip neighbors. The full moon over Monroe was beautiful and we had a great nights sleep.
Moon over Monroe (Large).jpg

Funny how we set out in the cockpit talking with our friends till almost midnight and not one mosquito. Not like our journey up north.
Waking up on the water with the sun coming up is such an awesome way to wake up. After a refreshing morning swim and boat cleaneup I made some blueberry muffins in the grill which turned out awesome. Who said you can't bake in a rail burner?
20160821_092934.jpg

The wind was picking up by the time we finished breakfast so we cleaned up and headed out.
We had a grat day on the water and Cindy buried the rail more times than I could count as we tried our best to make the keel winch box leak. Cindy was one happy Admiral to be back on the water.
Admiral at the Helm (Large).jpg

We finally sailed down to the resort and stopped in for a snack and beverage. We have been sailing there for three years now and always said that we should do that and finally did it. Food was average bar food but the beverages were cold and it was short walk up from the guest slip. I am just guessing we probably be making that a regular stop on Sunday sails from now on.
We headed back up the lake in nice wind, for Indiana. There one minute, gone the next, only to come back at near gale strength. The lake was busy with sails up everywhere.
sails everywhere (Large).jpg

After a little issue getting the boat in the slip we were finally tied up and ready to head out. Turns out is it is hard to get the spring line to work right with the motor in reverse LOL. The really good news is no matter how hard we pushed her she was still bone dry at the end of the day. The only water that splashed in came up through the stand pipe in the winch box when we crashed into the wake from a large house boat that combined with the wake from a 30 foot penis extender speed boat. It was like we just hit a wall when we nailed that one. It wasn't much water but I still did not like it. Trying to figure out some way I can make some sort of seal for that opening. The line goes over the roller there on its way down to the bottom roller so it will need to be flexible and removable. I thinking maybe a piece of closed cell foam I can push down into there with a tether attached to it so I can remove it easily when I need to raise the keel.
Oh, and our solar panel decided to die. I am thinking a 2000 mile road trip on the stern rail with the mast above it probably had something to do with that. I ordered another one from Amazon while we were still on the hook after I tried everything I could think of to revive it. I keep a mulit meter on board just for these situations. The on board volt/amp meter showed the failure, the multi meter confirmed it. I checked at the panel and the output voltage was only 12.2 instead of the normal 14.5 or so for a sunny day. Must have a internal break between a row of panels.
It was a great weekend and we were so glad to be back on the water. On the ride home we joked about how we drove 2000 miles to sail the North Channel and wound up sailing more yesterday than we were able to on the whole North Channel trip. At least we were able to laugh about it.

Sam

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
IMG_0257.JPG
IMG_0258.JPG
IMG_0259.JPG
IMG_0262.JPG
IMG_0252.JPG
Hey, that looks like the same moon rising over me on Saturday night! I went down to Barnegat without Sue, as I intended to do some boat projects and she wanted to spend time at the pool with her sister. She didn't want to sit out in the heat, while I sweat and curse in the belly of the boat. Good thing, too, because by the time I installed a new sink and got a few other minor things done, I'd had it with the heat and the green head flys. I decided to head out into the bay but the water intake had other plans for me. After about 2 hours attempting to clear from both sides of the thru-hull and about 5 swims in muddy, brackish water, I finally cleared the eel grass when I used just the right implement. A quick shower and I was off to do some sailing. The breeze was just right but it was still HOT and the green heads ... yikes! I'm glad Sue wasn't there! Not exactly by plan, I sailed past Tices Shoal and decided that would be the place to spend the night. What a great decision!
Tices Shoal is THE party scene on Barnegat Bay. There was some club music thumping from one of the cabin cruisers when I first anchored. But about half-hour before sundown, all was quiet and most party boats were leaving. That left a wide assortment of boats anchored for the night. Despite the crowd, it is a large area for anchoring, and there was plenty of room for peace and quiet. With telephoto, the boats in the anchorage look close, but in reality, there was more than enough space to feel the peace. By this time the breeze was cool, coming off the ocean, and the greenheads had disappeared as swiftly as they originally arrived. I had all hatches wide open for the entire night and was visited by just one lonely mosquito (and he met his maker). About an hour after a spectacular sunset, the moon made it's spectacular appearance (my photography doesn't capture it, sadly). At about that time, I was wishing Sue had made this trip! She'll not miss the next time, and I'm hoping we have seen the last of this heat wave. In the morning, the sound of surf on the other side of the narrow island was clear. The water was also clear and cool, and provided a good opportunity to scrub the bottom, which sorely needed the cleaning. Barnacles on the propeller blades is a new experience for me.
That sunrise photo from the marina was the morning we left on our trip to Lavallette a few weeks ago. It was a very pleasant way to start the trip!

Jan 22, 2008
Gulf 29 Little Current, ON
Congratulations on your persistence and good attitude when facing all of those challenges. And I extend my admiration to your new bride. We trailed a 23' Venture Newport from Indiana to the North Channel for 6 years. That size vessel will face no issues navigating the North Channel, as you point out. Generally, the biggest waves we have ever faced have come from giant power boats that don't slow down when they are passing close by. A poptop helps immensely for that sized vessel. And now you've learned to get it up before the sun sets. We sold our VN23 and now keep a 29' Gulf pilothouse boat in Little Current and spend July on the NC. Look for TANGO on your next trip.
This year is the 25th year of a small boat MESSABOUT on Lake Monroe. It would be a great opportunity for you to share your stories about epoxy and fiberglass with fellow boaters. Here is the webpage:
https://sites.google.com/site/lakemonroemidwestmessabout/home
It is September 16, 17, and 18 this year. We won't be there this year, but I hope we can meet on the North Channel. What is your boat name?

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Rbringle,
Thanks for the heads up about the Messabout. I will have to check that out. I am usually not one for get-togethers like that as I usually don't like admitting my screw ups in public LOL, but I will see if I can find them. Do you know where at Paynetown they have it?
Our boat is named the Memory Maker and she sits in the last slip on the south side of A dock at Paynetown when we are not on the water with her.
Just curious, did you move to Canada full time or just keep your boat there? I think we may have seen a boat named Tango at Little Current but we saw so many I am not sure. We enjoyed checking out all the neat names.
I agree with you that the power boaters made some waves but we also found some nice rollers once we cleared the south tip of Eagle island trying to get to the south side of South Benjamin. The wind was howling out of the southwest and it had a nice long fetch to get the water lifted. Had we just left Fox a bit earlier. We still had a great time and hope to return someday to try it again.

Sam

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Sam;

Great report and no need to worry about going thru what you experienced. All of us even dealers have had an experience or two. I am glad you found the issue and wish your lovely bride and you many good years of sailing. I hope you will be keeping this boat for a while. Stay in touch as I do miss your emails.

One experience I had. As a broker, I sold a used 28 footer during the winter with the owner insisting the boat be launched during the winter with the lake terribly low due to a long drought. All ramps and bulkheads were high and dry which I pointed out making an inspection around the lake suggesting for a spring launch when the water was up but the new owner of this boat was very demanding. An inspection by a certified marine surveyor did not reveal any issues/leaks and so on. The boat was launched by a crane with mast up over a bridge successfully which I knew how to but against my reccomendations until spring when the lake had refilled. The owner then motored the boat down the lake only to radio water being taken on. I went out on a power boat and indeed there was a major leak and the boat was too far from where we launched with the crane gone. The only thing I knew to do was to run that boat into a sandy muddy shoal so it would not sink. With the aid of fellow sailors we were able to lean that boat over, fix the problem and let it upright itself slowly. The boat sat there till a month later when the rains filled the lake to a point we could float the boat off and take it to the marina. I had to endure the wrath of the new owner even though it was a used brokerage boat which his own surveryor never saw the damage to the hull where the water penetrated in. As for my part, I ate the repairs and took care of those who helped me. Lesson learned on his part and he learned to listen to me from that point on.

Once I sold a new 44 footer and within 10 months 6 hours away, nearly 15 trips for warranty issues in 10 months. Three were for the owner failure to pump out the head holding tank without the use of deorderant, once for fishing tackle in the rigging and other unrelated issues not covered by warranty until the last two where the radar fell off, broken ribs and so on. I asked if he ran aground and the response was of course emphatically no. At that point, I said I would pay for a haul out if nothing was seen on the bottom as I now questioned the damage. Low and behold, part of the keel separated with coral/concrete/rebarb and so on embedded in the keel and hull with serious damage where he ran aground at ramming speed not to mention a third of the rudder was missing. I sent a letter upon investigation to the owner and mfg. as well as his attorney denying the claim citing over 60 liquor bottles to boot. Never heard back from anyone but the mfg. who was impressed with that report. I use to be an investigator for an insurance company.

With any used boat being purchased, the best suggestion is to make sure it is in the water to check for leaks and mast/steering integrity before going sailing .