Replacing interior cushion covers

Dec 2, 2014
hunter 23 atwood
I have a 1987 Hunter 23 and would like to know if anybody knows if there any prefab kits to replace the cushion covers sold anywhere or do I have to seek out a seamstress to accomplish this latest mission? Thanks

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
New covers improve the appearance, i.e. from a distance.
On cushions that old you really need new foam. No matter how attractive they become with new cover cloth, when you sit down and hit the hard surface or lay down and your hip bone is on solid substrate, you want new foam.
Opt for density at about 2.6. Factory stuff used to always be a bout 1.8, and goes "flat as a pancake" (when sat on) in less than a decade.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I do not think that there are any "kits". Sailrite has a bunch of How To videos on their website so it's just a matter of cutting and sewing. I did it myself on my '84 Hunter 34 and I had never sewed anything before. The first one sucked. After that I got the hang of it. Also, I used the old cushions. I just bathed them in water with some bleach to make them smell good and I replaced the batting.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I live in a very rural area and we still have "old-school" seamstress type people around. They tend to work by the hour but are so good at what they do, they don't take very long. I have had some things made and they are very inexpensive.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I live in a very rural area and we still have "old-school" seamstress type people around. They tend to work by the hour but are so good at what they do, they don't take very long. I have had some things made and they are very inexpensive.
You're lucky. I would figure that having a complete set made by a marine upholstery professional would cost more than a 1987 Hunter 23 is worth.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I'm using a local seamstress but having trouble finding a reasonably priced fabric. The seamstress has some that are admittedly expensive (close to $50 per yard). What sources have people used for fabric? I'm attempting to re-upholster my v-berth cushions and having trouble finding a fabric I like for around $12 to $20 per yard.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
You're lucky. I would figure that having a complete set made by a marine upholstery professional would cost more than a 1987 Hunter 23 is worth.
Exactly right on (the money). I had some vinyl seats made for a custom bike (pedi-cab) and it cost me $800 at an auto/marine upholstery shop. After getting to know small businesses and craftspeople in my area better, I could have had it done for about $200 elsewhere.
Craigslist or word or mouth is the best way to find a work-from-home old school seamstress that works for cash on case-by-case basis. That's how I found my Tailor who fixes my suits and shirts, he is set up in his garage and charges me less than half of what any brick-n-mortar Tailor would.
Somewhere on this forum @Sumner posted links to the on-line stores where he got the foam for his Mac 26. Search his posts and I'm sure the links can be found.

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Scott:
If you're up in the Lakewood area, might want to try the Stitch n' Sew store on 123 East County Line Rd. They have TONS of different fabrics to choose from as well as everything else sewing related. We've found their prices to be quite reasonable.