Replacing cutlass bearing

Ricky

Dec 9, 2010
Oday 302 Nishiki, Osaka Japan
Hi fellow O'day owners,
This Sunday I went to the sea since couple of months. Then few hours later
I heard the strange noise from the bottom under motor.
First I thought prop (KIWI feathering) problem because no noise while sailing.
Went back to the home port and found out the rubber tube went out from the
cutlass bearing support. Now I think I have to replace the cutlass bearing or
the tube but friends told me that I have to remove the rudder and shaft.
But it seems the this support is somehow attached at the bottom of the boat.
And if it is, I will be able to remove the prop and support off for to replace the
cutlass bearing. Am I correct? Or any other good alternatives? Please let me
have your comments. Fair winds, Ricky

Ricky

Dec 9, 2010
Oday 302 Nishiki, Osaka Japan
I could push the rubber tube into the support by hand but I believe it will come out soon.

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If the cutlass bearing has already come out of the strut, then 1/2 the work of replacing the cutlass bearing is done.

Pull the prop, remove the old cutlass bearing, push in new cutlass bearing and be sure to set the set screws in the strut that help keep the bearing in place.

If you have to remove your shaft for some reason, it may clear the rudder if,you first remove the cutlass bearing to get a little lateral play in the shaft. I removed the shaft on my O322 and replaced it with a new SS shaft without removing my rudder.

This video may help. I replaced the cutlass bearing on my O'Day 322. I assume similar to your 302....

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
2-3 years ago I had the issue on my O'Day 28. Had the yard do it. They removed the prop and strut itself and did the replacement on their bench. Did not charge too much, but the lesson I learned was at the beginning of each season to check to any lateral or vertical play at the strut by giving the prop shaft a good shake. Should be hardly any movement at all and if you are getting much, best to swap it out before launching for the season.