Replacement Yanmar ignition panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2010
Hunter 36 Pensacola
So the H36 that we bought needs a lot of stuff replaced. The ignition panel has a 12 volt receptacle that has lost its ability to stay flush with the panel and now recedes back, allowing rain water in. The big black push button, which I am assuming is a kill switch, does not work. There is also a toggle switch. Not sure what that is for either. The key ignition works and starts the boat but man is it ugly. You have to jiggle it just right to get the key in and you can tell no one has replaced it since 1981. I have not heard a buzzer sound. One of the three idiot lights comes on after the engine is killed by pulling back the throttle, but the others I am not sure. I would like to go with a recessed panel with acrylic cover that is on hinges so you have to lift it up to access the panel. Seems like it will protect the panel from the elements better than the original design. I have thought about just getting some plastic from West Marine and cutting out a new backing plate for the panel and replace the ignition switch. However, just replacing the entire panel would be easier since I am in a rush to fix all the other rain leaks i.e. hatches, ports, and engine cover. Thanks,
Tony

BobT

Sep 29, 2008
Gulfstar 37 North East River, Chesapeake Bay
Yanmar parts

I bought a replacement panel and many other engine parts for my old 1GM10 from Torrensen Marine. They seem to have extensive Yanmar parts and are great to deal with.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
When I bought my '79 boat in 1998 it had a VDO panel with full instrumentation. On that panel the toggle switch was for lighting the instruments. The pushbutton was to start the engine. The key was below it but did not include the start position. I can find VDO marine gauges but not the panel. I did find this panel: http://www.marineparts.com/mpf/mpf593.aspx . You could also purchase a Yanmar panel like the one pictured that came with my new 3YM30.

Attachments

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Yanmar panels, especially the older panels, are notorious for having non-tinned 'automotive quality', not 'marine grade', components. The replacement panels and components are 'pricey', with many of the components still not 'marine' / tinned components.

A vastly better (though slightly more expensive) solution is to replace those components with 'marine grade' - Ancor, BlueSea, etc. parts. The 'wiring' and the myriad of untinned connectors and wiring behind these Yanmar panels is usually the greatest cause of (high resistance) problems. Better to do such a job 'right' and build your own replacement panel from marine grade 'quality' parts.

Jan 2, 2008
Hunter 33 (Cherubini design Forked River, Barnegat Bay, NJ
The VDO panels and instruments were sold by Mack Boring back in the seventies. Not sure there's anyone left there who would remember them. Defender handles VDO.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Rich is right. You do NOT "need" a Yanmar panel for a Yanmar engine. You just need the right instrumentation (of your choice) built with quality components.

Beware using an ammeter in the cockpit unless you have a remote shunt. The reason? See: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6032.0.html

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Don't neglect the wire harness when you replace the instrument panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.