Replace window weatherseals

shazam

Mar 18, 2013
Catalina 30 Dallas Corinthian Yacht Club
I've been unable to find the anything about the source of the replacement window weatherseals in the "Search" feature of this Forum.
Can anyone help me track down the type/source of the window weathereals used in my '83 Catalina 30?

Apr 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS Lake City Marina
Catalina direct has a window kit that includes seals and sealer to reseal the glass and frames. Tedious job that requires window and frame removal and meticulous cleaning of same. If done right you will not have any leaks. 2 clues: use butyl rubber to seal frame to cabintop and have bare frames powdercoated. Best if done on off season.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I've done the port side windows in my 83. I think I had thinner glass as it was way too easy to reassemble the frames. I have to pull one as it is leaking somehow. Just be sure and tape around the window and have a couple roll of paper towels and an open garbage bag to put them in

Sep 13, 2014
Catalina 30 Ventura
We bought the Catalina Direct kit for our '83 Catalina 30 and still have leaks on two of the four windows we've redone. The u-channel gasket that holds the glass doesn't seem to fit tightly. I called Catalina Direct and was told they had never been notified of a problem... hard to believe, and they provided no additional help.
We used Bed-it butyl tape between the frames and hull and I'm confident that is sealed, so the gaskets are the problem.
Still trying to figure this out before we try the remaining four windows, the largest ones.

Apr 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS Lake City Marina
Is it possible that you didn't use enough sealant in the u-channel gasket? There has to be sealant oozing out of the channel all around especially in the corners. The frames are bowed and the tempered glass can't be bent so that is why the gasket fits loosely, you need the space for the flat glass to fit in the curved frame. Also make sure frame and glass go back together the same way they were taken apart. Leaks can also happen at window frame when water leaks through deck, hits inner liner, runs to frame and comes out inside at frame. (happened to me)

Sep 13, 2014
Catalina 30 Ventura
We may not have used enough sealant, but we've also had trouble getting the u-channel not to "wrinkle" in the corners. I did read somewhere to use a heat gun and gently heat the corners and stretch the u-channel to get a smoother fit. We'll be working on them again soon and see if we can't figure it out.

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
I just did that job last season on my 1977 C30 (not longer have it). It was a challenging job which required some technique but once I got it down it went well. I did use sealant in the gasket channel and butyl tape to install on the boat. I could not see using a heat gun. The channel is soft. I just gently stretched it around the glass, used masking tape to hold the ends in place and then fit the frames together. Start with the smallest port and work your way up.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I believe in 83 they had some thinner glass on some boats. When I talked to CD they told me (I've forgotten) the thickness of the glass - but I had already re-installed the port side windows. I used the sealant between both the rubber and the class, and between the frame and the rubber.

Aug 2, 2010
Catalina 30 Hull, MA
One of my greatest joys in boating is making a repair, having it fail and taking the time, effort and expense to do it again. The Catalina Direct window reseal kit didn’t let me down. The added benefit is this time I’m dealing with fresh new sealant rather than stuff that’s dry and stale. It makes the job even than much more rewarding and enjoyable. There's another value added benefit for CD, of course, as the second $150 leaves my pocket for theirs when I order the replacement replacement window reseal kit. All in all, my advice might be not to bother with the expense or the trouble. Plastic bags and duct tape aren't looking so bad once you get used to it. And nothing leaks!

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
reminds me of an old addage i once heard 50 years ago, " if you don't have time to do it right, how come you have time to do it again? "

love duct tape :)