repair seat in sea snark

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I've never seen a Snark (or Super Snark) with a seat. Is a Sea Snark a different boat?

Sep 13, 2018
snark sunflower huntington, ny
I believe the wood piece that holds the mask is called a seat. The boat is a sun flower-snark. The bolts rusted and I assume the nuts have rusted also. I am considering getting long sheet metal screws. Filling the bolt holes with gorilla glue. Putting the wood seat back on and attaching it with the sheet metal screws before the gorilla glue hardens. A problems is that any glue used shouldn't melt the Styrofoam hull of the boat of the plastic covering.
IMG_0246.JPG IMG_0245.JPG

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Epoxy and Styrofoam are compatible. So some JB Weld would be a good solution (pun intended).

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Whats left of the rusted hardware looks like screws to me, not bolts. If that is the case, they probably screw into a wood block encased in the foam. I would just drill new holes in the seat, offset by about 3/4", and should be good.

Sep 13, 2018
snark sunflower huntington, ny
The suggestion that the fasteners were screws rather than bolts was very helpful and resulted in an easy repair. It was something I missed. This demonstrates the value of pictures. Thanks for everyone's help.
Neil