Removing Hunter 40.5 Chart Plotter above Chart Table.

edguy3

Jul 20, 2009
Hunter 40.5 Liberty Landing, NJ
I had no trouble removing the knob from the starboard side of this ancient chartplotter, but removing the port side has me stumped; Just doesnt seem to be any obvious way to get in there. Other than finding a contortionist, can someone advise on the best way to remove this device?

Thanks in advance
/ed

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
A large prybar...(just kidding)..you might try a long pair of needle nose pliers

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have had the need to get in there more than just a few times. I cut a 4" hole in the shelf on top of that panel and installed a screw-in deck plate. If I had to do it again I would cut a larger hole for my fat arm. I can't see the deck plate unless I stretch and specifically look for it and I keep some small trays of misc stuff up there on top of the plate.

Sorry I don't have any pictures.

edguy3

Jul 20, 2009
Thanks! I'll try a pair of bent needle nose and then go for the hole.
/ed

edguy3

Jul 20, 2009
Stopped by Harbor Freight for the long needle nose pliers. They would have worked on a 1U device, but not something this tall.

IMG_3792.JPG
Then I noticed a few screws on the top of the cabinet which removed the molding and gave me enough room to get a hand in the cabinet.

IMG_3771.JPG IMG_3772.JPG IMG_3774.JPG

There was a fourth screw on the aft part of this piece. This last screw had a plug over it. I chose not to remove it because access was sufficient.

Thanks for the advice... .
Hopefully this documentation will save someone else some time.

/ed

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Good find. So it looks like the entire shelf became loose after removing the forward molding piece?