Reminiscing about some boats

Les

May 8, 2004
Hunter 27 Bellingham, WA
January 2014

The time between Christmas and New Years on the Sailboatowners list normally is a slow time of the year for Phil and his associates. So perhaps my reminiscing about some of my boats will not discourage discussions on soldering, waste tank improvements and other necessary conversation on sailboats in general.

I learned to sail on Long Island Sound on a Dyer Dinghy one summer long ago. I found the act of sailing to be fascinating, a constant problem to be solved and satisfying. After college and a war I ended up married, in the Seattle area teaching grade school. But I had not forgotten my satisfaction of sailing. It nagged me. So when a friend of mine offered to sell me his home built Sabot for fifty dollars I jumped at the chance. I took my new bride down to Lake Boren, put the pram in the water and we sailed around chasing frogs floating on the top of the water. My new wife was fascinated. When I told her that if in trouble just let the main sheet go (this piece of rope here) and it would come up into the wind. Of course with both of us in an eight foot pram it wouldn’t do that but just drifted until we bumped into shore--but she still believed me. We were into boating!

We wanted a bigger boat and I scoured the classifieds (that’s for you who are old enough to remember what that was) for a sailboat for sale. The time was the early sixties--most boats available were built of wood and I found a “sixteen foot Comet”, supposedly a smaller sized Star boat. I paid three hundred for boat and trailer.....and cotton sails. It turned out the boat once had dry rot and was now only fifteen feet but we found a slip on Lake Washington and enjoyed afternoon sails. When the boom fell off of the mast at the gooseneck into my wife’s hands and she told me to head up I knew we were ready for a better boat. I sold the Comet (and trailer) for three hundred.

In those days newly married couples had little money so we spent many Saturdays walking the docks looking at small sailboats in the Seattle area. We even went to our local bank to seek a loan to see what the process and the cost would be. “What do you mean you’d like to borrow money on a sailboat--teachers can’t afford sailboats!” The president of the bank was the chairman of our local school board. I was learning. Discouraged, we however continued to look at sailboats on Lake Union in Seattle.

At one boat dealership there was a cute Cal 20, white with red trim. Oh my, we both fell in love with it. It had so much room in the cockpit over the Comet and you could sit below. But she was thirty six hundred dollars, just about what I was making as a school teacher. We looked at that boat for several weekends and when the dealer dropped the price to three thousand I knew someone else was going to buy “our” boat. Desperation takes many forms. I asked him, what if I bought the boat for thirty six hundred but paid only three with the six hundred being my down payment. He was fine with that--he just wanted to sell that Cal 20. So we told him we were off the bank once again. “No, no, don’t go to the banks--go to this boat brokerage firm across the lake. Much better interest rates.” We made an appointment for the next Saturday, found our income tax returns and headed back to Seattle.

We found the building, walked down to the water level and found a gentleman reading the morning papers. “What can I do for you?” We want to buy a boat, a new Cal 20, I’m a school teacher and we’ll use the six hundred for down payment and ....... I was nervous and prated on. “No problem, that’s a good boat. Okay.... and he mentioned a monthly payment that was way below what the bank had advertised and one which we could easily pay. And then he mentioned insurance? I hadn’t wrapped my brain beyond even ever owning a real life sailboat. I nodded. “Okay the boat is yours--you might want to take the Power Squadron course--it will keep your insurance rates down.” All this took a half an hour. We walked out the office owners of the prettiest Cal 20 on Lake Union.

This was our beginning. We sailed Lake Washington, circumnavigated Mercer Island (middle of Lake Washington) and then challenged the locks into PUGET SOUND. Salt water! Our world grew sailing to Bainbridge Island and back into Elliot Bay we knew no bounds. We added a compass and charts (I beat her on Seamanship and she beat me on Piloting in the Power Squadron tests). An anchor, sleeping bags and a one burner alcohol stove from REI and the world (or at least Puget Sound) was our oyster. Someone mentioned the back of Port Ludlow and we found it after transversing Point No Point. It was exhilarating.

The next summer we took the little Cal to the San Juan Islands. So many coves and so little time. We were up to two REI alcohol stoves and a head up forward. One sat in the cockpit while the other........

We had the Cal for five years but given boat shows, a new job we found ourselves looking at a Pearson 27. Having grown in part on the east coast, I knew this was a reputable boat company. And the dealer for Pearson took one look at our Cal and said he’d give us three thousand for it. The Pearson was ours. You could stand up in the cabin, it had a head, a small two burner stove and the most beautiful looking African mahogany cockpit sides and rail. It was our introduction to wood maintenance. On- going wood maintenance. Continuous wood maintenance. My bride varnished and varnished and varnished. But the boat had some other problems. It had a stern locker for the outboard motor and when you had the boat under power the stern would sink and water would come into that locker. Nowadays those with the Pearson 27 mostly have fiberglassed that hole in the water and stick the outboard on the stern. But I was not so knowledgeable. And there was another problem--the Chrysler outboard would run and then slow up and almost quit. Not being a motor type of guy I would take it into the dealer. They would inspect it and say nothing was wrong except I had a fouled spark plug. After a half dozen trips to the outboard dealer I though I can lean to change spark plugs and did. I was good. I could take the top off, remove the spark plug wire, wrench out the plug, put the new one in in less than a minute. I bought spark plugs by the dozen. Years later I realized that the Chrysler outboard was designed for light weight aluminum fishing boats and the poor outboard motor just didn’t have right prop nor the power to push that heavy sailboat.

We weren’t happy with the Pearson 27 and when we saw the Ranger (CA) 29 we both fell in love once again. Inboard engine (Atomic 4), a head and a galley...oh my. Ed, the dealer would take the Pearson in trade for what we paid for it. And back to our favorite boat brokerage for an up-dated loan--still better then the banks. We were now on first name basis with the loan office.

By now we had moved to Bellingham (north of Seattle--and closer to the San Juan Islands) where I was a new wet behind the ears college professor. I expanded our sailing repertoire by entering the Wednesday evening races. We came in last. Dead last. Not in class but in the whole fleet. Geez. Lynn, my wife, didn’t want to race but I persisted. Read, watched what others were doing, studied the rules (STARBOARD!!!) and began to move up in the fleet. It was fun times. Devouring sailing magazines of the day we learned that a Ranger 37 had won the SORC (Southern Ocean Racing Circuit). We talked to Ed and found out that we couldn’t afford the big 37 One Ton (measurement rule) Ranger but he did have a three quarter ton Ranger coming and it was race equipped. And (there’s more) he’d take the twenty nine back in trade. Ed knew two pushovers when he saw us. The Ranger 32 came with 9 Barient winches, no forward berth, just room for eleven Hood sails....three spinnakers, a drifter, three jibs and one sail that you flew opposite the spinnaker. The sewer man was really important on this boat with all those sails.

We began to win in our class and looked to going to “big” races in Seattle, Vancouver and Victoria. We were big time. I had actually three crews. One to take the boat to the next city, a racing crew and a crew to bring the boat home. It was getting expensive.

But the Ranger 32 was temperamental. If you didn’t set your sails just right, she would stop. Quite the fussy lady but when trimmed properly she was fast. My wife loved her and started teaching sailing aboard her in the summers.

One year we raced in the Georgia Strait race out of West Vancouver. It was predicted to be a light air race and perhaps some would not finish. They were right on that last point--the winds picked up to fifty-five knots. I have never been so sick. In fact four of the crew including me were useless by and large. Waves were as high as the spreaders and you actually liked being down in the trough because the wind was less but when you came up the next wave the winds hit you again. You could see all these red lights on your starboard and green lights on your port and when you came up the next wave there were be different red and green lights. We dropped out and returned to West Van Yacht Club. They really know how to race in Vancouver (BC). The next year we took second in class. In the Swiftsure race that year we were leading our class and the top of the mast broke over. I learned about pumping masts and sea swells. That wiped out our cruising season that year while waiting for a new mast.

But that Ranger 32 disliked me. It would break loose from its slip and hit another boat in the harbor or it would turn the wrong way even though I had the tiller over hard. Fussy boat. My wife loved the boat but I didn’t. This was a first. So on the prowl once more on Lake Union we came across a extremely good looking boat--about thirty six feet in length, brand new. Wow. I went looking for the sales department and when he told us the price it was even a bigger wow as to the low cost. The story was that the boat was reprocessed by a bank, the original dealer having gone bankrupted. We went in search of the bank which was inland and would loan on farm implements but never again on a boat. They just wanted out and to get their money back. We closed. We sold the Ranger 32 for almost as much as we paid for it. But while it was at Lake Union it broke loose again and damaged another boat. Very strange boat.

Now we had a Sceptre 36 built in Canada designed by a fine boat designer. And we had hull number one. Important fact to note. It had a diesel engine, a step up for us, a navigation locker with a fold out seat. Tons of storage space and an inclosed head. Oh, yes, a wheel! What is it about wheels that give a man a sense of power. I had done well with tillers but a wheel makes you throw out your chest and sail....... I wonder how many pictures the admiral has of me standing behind the wheel(s).

The Sceptre remains one of my favorite boats. But it was made in the traditional way of hand layups, interior wood cut to shape, and when you opened a locker, there was raw fiberglass. But all boats were made that way or so I thought. However, the first boat on the line sometimes doesn’t have all the parts fitting just so--I learned not to buy the first one off the line. The Sceptre was a good sailor but I was backing out of racing. There were coves to explore and anchorages to be found in the islands. The Scepter and we became happy cruisers.

About five years later I was walking the docks and saw a new boat, a large one. A local dealer had taken on the Hunter line and his first boat was the Hunter 40. My bride and I took a look and it was, as the teenagers say, awesome. An aft cabin you could stand in, two heads, a queen size bed, a three piece stove with oven. A flight deck--well, it looked like one when you stood behind the wheel. It was one big sailboat. But there was a significant difference. When you opened a hatch locker there was smooth fiberglass. Another locker had four through hulls and all were labeled. Wires were also labeled....at both ends. Craftsmanship was high. So was the price. No turning in one boat for another this time. It was out of our league. But the dealer was crafty. “Put the boat into charter--you can use the boat and make money” It was tempting. I couldn’t use the boat all the time because of work and I could race now and then. Tempting. We decided to do it, charter the boat. Dumb. I didn’t do my research like I normally did. If you use your boat yourself when it is in charter in the State of Washington, you have to pay a tax. But the worst things was the charterers. There was no ASA at that time and people brought the boat home with all sorts of problems and breakage. And they wouldn’t tell you. I repaired heads, cabinets, knobs on the stove (they used a wrench on them not knowing you pushed them in to turn) and the most supposedly knowledgeable skipper put the boat on the rocks and bent the rudder. After five years I wanted nothing more to do with sailing. I remember the State of Washington’s Department of licensing called and asked if I were using the boat for my pleasure and I remember actually yelling at her that this boat didn’t know the word “pleasure.” She hung up quickly. It was time to move on.

The admiral and I held long discussions. Did we want to stay in boating, just cruise or did we want to get out of boating in general. But the San Juan and Gulf (BC) islands beckoned. We realized the forty footer had been too big for the two of us even though the accommodations were superb. What could we find that would require minimum care and effort and still have the accommodations that we liked. And, although I had not been happy repairing the big forty I still remembered the quality of craftsmanship in that boat.

We found a Hunter Vision 32 with a single stick, no stays, an open transom (sugar scoop stern) and a great interior. A cruising boat with a big, big main and a little furling jib. My first open stern and my first furling sail. Something new. And we did cruise our old haunts in the islands. We tried to race but once again I dominated last place. I could not get that boat to sail. Perhaps it was the skipper who had now too much tradition in the brain but whatever it was I couldn’t get her moving. I didn’t blame the boat--it was me.

After several years I realized we were not using the boat very much, a bit in the summer and not at all in the fall like we use to do. I went to the local dealer and inquired as to how we might sell her. “Don’t sell her, trade her in on a new Hunter 35.5.” Once again we got our money back on a new boat and once again we went money shopping at the boating sources. We were back in business with a pretty nice boat with swept back spreaders (beginning of the B&R rig era), furling jib, again the open stern and a short keel with a bulb with fins. And once more, the usual Hunter attention to detail. It was a good cruiser and it was FAST! Being the fool I am I entered the local racing circuit again. But it wasn’t like old times. Instead, I couldn’t point with the fleet! Strange, I adjusted the sails the best I could but we just would not point. Well, damn. But like the old days the rule was keep the boat moving and we did. And when we got to the windward mark we were once again up with the leaders. We had come out of nowhere to challenge at the windward mark. Then on the downwind leg we started passing boats. She was deadly on the downwind ride. I actually think the fins had something to do with the downwind performance, perhaps lifting the boat somehow.

This boat was a ton of fun. We had some rules for our racing. First, we are going out to have fun. Second, if I hear one splash I want to hear two. Three, only high quality refreshments allowed--no peanuts and cheap beer, Four, unnecessary cheating not allowed (another long story), and five, see rule number one. We had fun.

At one time with this crew I mentioned that if anyone passed the Power Squadron course I would let them take the boat out by themselves and one of the crew did just that. He came to me one day and asked, “did you really mean I could take the boat?” I did. He put a crew together and on a different night (I was teaching) raced the boat. Did well. But the upshot of it was that if someone on the “A” crew couldn’t make it then someone from the “B” squad would fill in. I never lacked for crew those last few years. It was fun and we got a reputation for just that......and......we won boat of the year in local racing. Top boat in the fleet. I very proud of that trophy...and of the Hunter 35.5.

Then that New Years, my first mate and good friend and alternate skipper died of a stroke. He wasn’t very old. I lost heart and didn’t elect to race the next season. It hurt. Perhaps it was time to just go cruising again.

But first I had to change out CNG to propane. It was getting harder and harder to find. And there were places in Canada it was just not available and that’s where we wanted to go. So I studied...and to the boat show. Hunter had moved its main dealership to Seattle and I heard that they had a new boat that had an excellent propane system--state of the art. We knew the dealer (I think I knew most of the dealers on Lake Union) and he allowed me to take a look. Ray Rutledge had just joined their sales staff and he showed us the boat. Lynn wasn’t feeling well that day and I was cold and discouraged. Switching cooking fuel systems looked more difficult then I thought it might be. But as I sat in the main lounge I heard my wife sitting in the aft cabin chair say to Ray, “I like this boat.”

I may be slow but I am not dumb. When your wife likes a boat you pay attention. And what was not to like on the Hunter 380. A beautiful cockpit, an fiberglass arch, the open stern, an extremely well designed propane system, and all up graded systems from a great shower, to neat storage spaces (no raw fiberglass). It was a beautiful boat. We went up to the office and placed an order.

I always be grateful to Ray for advising me on what to order and what wasn’t necessary but we ordered a new Hunter 380 that day. On the drive home to Bellingham I said to my bride, “did we do what I think we did and how are we going to pay for her?” The admiral was back in command and said that we had ten Microsoft stocks and she thought it had doubled. We could use that to help on the costs. Well, she was wrong. It had doubled, tripled....enough to pay for over half of the new boat. And Ray was as good as his word, we got a fair price for the Hunter 35.5. We were ready to go cruising once again, both of us newly retired and in a new boat.

Cruising in this part of the world is magical. There are the San Juan Islands with enough coves and bays and islands to hide behind to last many years. And then just across the border was Canada with the Gulf Islands. And to the north we returned to Princess Louisa, one of the beautiful places on this earth and Desolation Sound. One morning in Desolation Sound I got up early, walked though the open transom to my Avon and rowed to the side of the cove. It was low tide and I could from the dinghy reach up and collect about five oysters. Back on the 380, I made a Hangtown Fry that made my day--and it was still early in the morning! My wife doesn’t like oysters.

The Hunter 380 I think ought to be enshrined in the Boating Hall of Fame. We had equipped it with a 3 bladed Max prop, a Webasto hot air furnace, a good dodger and bimini. Ray had advised an anchoring system which I could operate with my toe. We also had radar that we used on several occasions. To this day I can’t think of how I could improve upon that boat. We kept the Hunter 380 for nine years, the longest we’ve ever kept a boat. Kudos to the Hunter Design Team.

I only had one problem that bugged me to the end, however. I had installed a tankage measuring system for the diesel, water and waste tanks. However the display system at the navigation desk had room for four tanks. I didn’t have four tanks but with a bit of jocularity in my mind, I labeled that last tank, “hot tub.” Since it always read empty, I waited patiently for someone to inquire about my “hot tub” and I was going to say, “it’s under the aft berth but it is empty at the moment.” No one ever asked to my consternation--not even when we eventually sold her. Really ticked me off.

There came that time when I realized I was not taking the boat out as much and not looking forward to cleaning and painting the bottom. The 380 was work both in and out of the water. And I also saw in myself that I didn’t want to jump down to the dock when bringing her back to the slip. I was getting older and had to face the inevitable. I talked to my long suffering bride and we decided, agonizingly, to sell the Hunter 380. It hurt. I had come to love this boat. Perhaps a day sailor for me, a pocket cruiser or something like that. But first we’d have to sell our wonderful boat. Taking off personal gear was difficult--all those memories. Books came off the shelf, foods came out of the locker, and all those things one can accumulate over the years were brought home. It was hard and I admit many tears were passed. We talked to the the local Hunter dealership back in my hometown (no going to Lake Union this time) and made arrangements to put her up for sale. We signed the papers...damn.

But at the same time I started looking for something for me to easily sail mostly by myself. Let’s see, it had to have the following:

Roller furling main and jib. I didn’t want to fuss with folding sails and a sail cover
At my age it had to have a marine head--no porta-potty.
standing head room. Bending over was getting harder--damn back.
Yanmar diesel.
A simplistic stove to boil water for tea or coffee.
adequate two speed winches so my wife could use them--but really for me. I had gotten soft.
an open stern (sugar scoop). If I wanted to use the dinghy I wasn’t going over the side.
Thirty feet or under--had to be easy for me to sail....and fun!

There wasn’t much on the market then that could handle these requirements. The furling main wiped out many potential small boats. I even called one dealer in Seattle to see if we could re-rig a boat with a furling main and he thought not. Standing head room was also a problem for several boats. But by now I had found the fairly new designed Hunter 27. Not traditional in any way and it did meet my needs. What else was out there? I kept looking.

Meanwhile I wrote on several web sites that I was selling my beloved 380 just on the off chance someone would know someone who would know..... I was right. Someone who knew me and had seen my boat earlier was calling from south Puget Sound. Could they come up Saturday and take a look? Certainly and told them where the boat was. When I got to the boat the next morning they were already there having left in the early hours for a long drive through Seattle. I spent about an hour showing them the ins and outs of my beloved 380 (no, they didn’t ask about the hot tub), and told them what I was asking. I left them to dream (well, that’s what the Admiral and I always did when buying a boat) and within minutes they got off the boat and said they wanted to buy her. I had to find the dealer so we could close subject to a sailing trial and a survey. They made an offer eight thousand below what I wanted. I wasn’t about to quibble, but make note of this point.

The next weekend the surveyor explored the boat after she was hauled out. I still proud to say that he could only find four minor problems which the buyers said they would accept as were. Back in the water they had their demonstration sail and even the surveyor said it was the perfect boat. As you probably can understand I had very mixed emotions. The buyers wanted me to help them take the boat back to the Seattle area the following weekend and I declined. I just couldn’t do that to her. But I knew the new buyers had fallen in love with her and would take good care of her. I left the best boat in my life go.

It was decision time and it was an easy decision. We ordered a new Hunter 27 and once again we sat down with an order pad and said what we wanted. After basic boat, we ordered shore power and with that you get a microwave. And when we order it to come with a cooler we got a folding wheel. We wanted a dodger made by a special company in Puget Sound noted for his good designs. And of course we had to have a three bladed Max prop. Oh, and don’t forget a Webasto hot air furnace which we use year around here in the northwest. From this website we order BottomSiders cockpit cushions. Later on we up-graded the head to a Raritan PHII compact--I needed something dependable. And again from this website we ordered companionway doors from Cruising Concepts--I dislike hatch boards and Mike makes beautiful companionway doors. We didn’t have to pay sales tax as we were downsizing which helped and then we found that Hunter gave us a discount on the new boat because we were a “loyal customer.” We were breaking even.....even with the extras.

The Hunter 27 arrived in June of 2008 and we were surprised to learn it was a 2009 model which meant that it was one of the first to have a beautiful cherry interior. If you ever order a new boat plan to double the time the boat is in the boatyard being put together. We waited....and waited and waited. Finally she was in the water and ready to come home. It was a new boat so I let the dealer deliver her on her bottom to Bellingham. If anything might go wrong they could be in charge and indeed, they ran out of fuel about five miles from our home port. The little boat only has a ten gallon fuel tank--and they hadn’t checked when they left Seattle. She was docked at the work dock as the Webasto furnace and the Raymarine X-5 autopilot were installed.

I had lined my slip with Bumpers all around so it must have been a pleasant day when I finally took my new boat and backed into my slip. But I don’t remember. That’s the sad part in that my memory is fading. But I love my new boat. It is lively. It is responsive to the helm with a nice touch. And she moves well in light airs. I get about six knots under power which is good and the autopilot keeps getting better and better as it learns the boat. I can sit in the cockpit under the dodger and let the boat sail to my hearts content.

In the interior we have added several Blue Performance organization bags on the port and starboard ceilings (walls) and attached them with Command tape (3M). One of the things that has interested me is how hard it has been for me to get my mind to understand this boat is a daysailer--not a long distant cruiser. At first I brought on board too many tools which I would not need. It took a while to understand this fact. I also brought on board the nesting set of pots and pans that I had on the 380. I basically have one burner (one electric and one butane). All I need is a tea kettle and maybe one small pot. I still have too many cleaning devices, bottles, brushes and clothes. In my mind I’m still cleaning the 380 when in reality I hardly need to clean anymore.

Strange how life makes it turns and changes. Remember those Blue Performance organizational bags? Because of my poor memory I got a labeler and labeled each pocket. I now have one of the larger pockets with power cords for the auto remote for the X-5, power cords for the iPod (music), my iPad and Kindle (reading), and for the backup handheld GPS. We never had that need in the 380....so much has changed in the last few years.

One of the best additions to this boat was the WinchRite, a battery powered cordless winch handle. It turns out that I have an aneurism on my aorta--not good. Don’t do stressful things. And I don’t. I just put the six pound wonder on my outhaul winch and pull the trigger and watch as I unroll the main...or the jib. Of course we said we got it for the admiral but I haven’t let her use it yet. When it is time to furl the sails I just use the other winch and the WinchRite brings the sails in. No strain on my heart. I have WinchRite number five and think it ranks up there with the 3 bladed Max prop.

Probably one mistake that I made was buying an asymmetrical spinnaker. I used it once. I remember the old days of flying spinnakers and the fun we use to have. I forgot that it took four of us back then. I did work with Jim Kitchen of Doyle sails and he did design a great chute. But before we leave the dock I have to set the sheets, the downhaul and position the bag and attach the halyard. Doable but I just don’t do it.

My wife and I had much fun day sailing out of Friday Harbor (San Juan Islands, WA) this past summer reaching across to Shaw Island and then back toward San Juan. Yes, stay out of the way of the Washington State Ferries--they are working. But we’d wave. We now have had the boat five years and some of my friends are teasing me--”when are you buying another boat?” I’m not....unless they start making an open sixty in the twenty seven foot class. Unlikely. I’m happy with the 27 in all ways--indeed I can’t think of what I would do to improve this boat. Yes, I would like an arch but it wouldn’t be feasible on a boat this size. And I find it difficult to get past the diagonal shrouds when going forward--but then it is something to hang on to if I need to get forward.

We haven’t used the Fortress anchor yet--maybe never. And I have never used the butane burner--I just don’t cook underway, I’m sailing. But the aft berth is a great napping spot and the stereo (that dates me) speakers are excellent as I bring a lunch down to the boat during winter and enjoy its amenities. A bit of Miles Davis and a good book to read on the iPad. Life is good.

Is there a possibility of buying another boat? There is always a possibility. The right boat, the right finances, the right place....the right feeling! But I’m eighty now and can see the possible end. I’ve liked all my boats to some degree--well, the Pearson and the Ranger 32 and I weren’t on true speaking terms--but I miss the little Cal 20 and the Sceptre and the Hunter 35.5 and of course the 380. All boats for different purposes and different needs in the different seasons of my life. I’ve also enjoyed seeing the progression of technology and design in boat building. We’ve come a long way in producing a much finer boat in many ways. I still remember cotton sails and wood masts. We don’t want to go there. And for me I’m glad there is no outside wood on my boat (there is on the stern seats but I cover them with Bottomsiders). I like my boat. Thank you Marlow-Hunter for providing me with so much pleasure.

I hope I haven’t wasted your time. I’d like to hear your stories of buying your boat and why you went that route. I could learn from you.

Les

Les Blackwell
Coast Guard License 100 tons, retired
ASA Certified Instructor, retired

Sailing out of Bellingham and Friday Harbor (WA)

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
Nice story, Les. You're about 15 years ahead of me, but lots of similarities. El Toro as a kid, My parents owned a bunch of boats including a Cal 20! (lots of racing on other peoples boats), sailing a 46' cat to Costa Rica, Aurora 21, Colombia 26 MK 1 (with wife), 26 ft. life boat conversion (our boat-building episode), Catalina 30, 36' Trawler (our powerboat episode), Islander 32, Catalina 34 and now a Catalina 400. Lisa, (my wife of 35 years) and I sail around the coastal area of Santa Cruz from Monterey to San Francisco. Like you, we share a passion for our boat(s), and sailing. Tonight, New Year's Eve, we're babysitting 2 of our 3 grandchildren so we're at home, not on the boat. Your story, however, gave me a big smile and a sense of connection to our own love of boating. Thanks and Happy New Year.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Thanks, Les, for a great story

We all have different specific experiences, but it sure seems clear to me, and to anyone who reads Les' story, that some things are, perhaps, universal, when it comes to owning great sailboats: priceless memories.

When we bought our 1986 C34 in 1998, we started racing, having little (almost no) experience in that type of sailing. One of the very first articles I wrote for Mainsheet magazine, a quarterly publication about Catalina sailboats, was titled: "What it looks like from the back of the pack!" Guess we've all been there.

Our "journey" has been quite different: 2-3 years with a C22 but with LOTS of cruising and learning to anchor out; 12 years with a C25 sailing the Bay, the Delta and the ocean; now 15 years with our C34, most likely our last boat and a real "keeper."

But, like Les, our memories and the things we've learned, many of which we thought we'd never be able to do, have been truly rewarding.

Thanks, Les, for sharing your experiences.

HNY to all.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I throughly enjoyed you story of your life in sailing...the writing style you use is similar to "Jim McCracken" of the book "Two Innocents at Sea" don't get much better than that.....

Happy New Year and fair winds to you sir......

regards

woody

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Your memory is quite good! I've never owned a "new" boat, so it's enlightening to read your very practical transition through many boats and how personal they became.

There have been a few small sailboats in our past and even the little ones have sailing memory's.

Our present coastal cruiser, 53 years old, came equipped with a history in all her nooks and cranny's that I still discover today. Plus we've loaded on nearly 15 years of family sailing history ourselves. That rich history is so dear, she's taken on a life of her own in our family.

I may be wrong, but it's doubtful we'll ever sell her. She's likely raised new owners, already.

Every boat in a harbor has a fascinating story to tell. Thanks for telling several.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
What a great history and very similar to ours, thank you for jogging my memory of our experience. I got the bug on a Sunfish a friend got for Christmas in about 1966. We were out sailing on the Missouri River the day after Christmas pushing ice flows out of the way. Then came a period of marriage, military service and kids, followed by the purchase of a CatYak at an auction. Next was a Prindle 18, then a C22, a Cal 27 and our current boat a Hunter 29.5. You and I are so fortunate that our wives are partners in our passion for messing arounds in boats.

Jan 30, 2012
Catalina 36 Bayfield, WI
What a remarkable story. I truely enjoyed reading every line of it. Don't be surprised if a magazine editor contacts you wanting to publish it. Even though I am only on my second boat, I can relate to the excitement you felt with every new purchace. Thanks for posting and "Happy New Year."

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Les, what impresses me most about your story is how you found the secret that sailing infects you with a young spirit that never ages despite the years. You and your wife are an inspiration, my friend. Thanks for that story! It was a marvelous read to start the new year with enthusiasm.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Thanks for the read. You are a very good writer.

I also started in a dinghy. At age 10 my parents purchased (see photo) a small dinghy. We lived on a pond and I spent the next 8 summers of my life (all day every day) sailing around that pond. We also took the dink on family vacations and I sailed it all over the lakes of Wisconsin.

In college I joined the schools sailing club... but graduate school and starting my career took me away from sailing for about 8 years.... but it was always my plan to get another boat. I talked my wife into letting me spend $1000 on an old MacGregor V21. It was in horrible shape... thus started my boat restoration hobby-life. Since then I've refurbished/restored

1) Macgregor V21
2) Coronado 23'
3) Coronado 25'
4) Macgregor V22-2
5) Coronado 26'
6) Rhodes 22' (in progress)

and I have a Hobbie 16' and a windsurferjust for kicks...
1003090914a.jpg - Coronado 25'

557068_10150949656828244_511093839_n.jpg- Mac 22' (Smith Mountain Lake- SML)

SAM_1370.jpg - Mac 22' (Pamlico Sound)

Undersail.jpg - Balboa 26' (SML)

new_paint_starboard.jpg - Rhodes 22' (Back yard)

What a wonderful sickness...

Dink

Coronado 23' (SML)

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
Scare the race fleet with this ?

'' We now have had the boat five years and some of my friends are teasing me--”when are you buying another boat?” I’m not....unless they start making an open sixty in the twenty seven foot class.''

I think this is one hot boat for you Les, Jackdaw posted it and it is easy to fall in lust for...I can't get her out of my head

http://www.yachtingworld.com/video/boat-tests/535589/1/pogo-30-video

or the Mini Transat 650, both would put a tremble in the race fleet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Trans-at_650_sailboats.jpg

Last edited:

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Hi Les,

Still hope to connect with you maybe this summer. Our HAPS group, as you've probably read in the emails, is planning a two week voyage to the San Juan area tentatively July 11-25. We plan a stop in Anacortes prior to hitting the islands.

Wonderful story.
My grandfather built a 22' Cabin cruiser in 1960 and kept it at the Vallejo Yacht Club, California. We then built an 8' pram and five kayaks. I rigged mine for sail with a 45sq ft sail designed by Peter Sutter of Sutter Sails in Sausalito. Sadly the pram and five kayaks were lost in a fire in 1981 at my folks home in Napa Valley. But we still had two kayak frames left. We completed number 6 in 1990 when my grandfather was 86. Perhaps my grandson and I will complete number 7.
My sailboats included
1977 Columbia 8.7. Owned 1983-1987. SV At Ease
1978 Columbia 10.7. Owned 1987-1995. SV At Ease II
1977 Freeport Islander 41 (threatened to install a bow thruster so we could tack better). Owned 1996-2003. SV Stargazer
2003-present Hunter 466. SV Wings of Gold.

The current family project is a 1980 Catalina 25 purchased two years ago this month and we've been restoring it ever since. In fact today I epoxied the Hummingbird shoot through the hull transducer to the hull and restored power to the knot meter. If I can get the knot meter to work then the last big project is removing the three "volcano" through hull valves and replacing them with proper sea cocks. It is technically my daughter's boat but as she is deployed to Jalalabad, Afghanistan with the US Army, her brothers and I are happy to work on it for her. She is a West Point Grad, '07.

I remember seeing the H27 at the 2004 Seattle Boat Show and was so impressed with its design, layout, and big boat amenities. Just remarkable.

Stay well, my friend.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
I've now read it a couple of times, and it may well be one of the most beautiful 'articles' I've ever read about a sailing life. My 'lifestyle' of sailing through life like Mr. MaGoo with an AK47 would be an insult to your writing talent. Beautiful!

(I printed it. It goes in the 3-ring binder)..

Les

May 8, 2004
Hunter 27 Bellingham, WA
Thanks all for your warm responses. It was enjoyable reading about your experiences and thanks, Kris for the pictures. Really enjoyed someone sleeping on the foredeck. We all do it. Stretch, the Pogo 30 was an interesting suggestion--still, no in mast furling. Too hot a machine for me at my age.

It is interesting that Cruising World just announced four pocket cruisers but all seemed with racing and boat speed. Some good looking boats though none meet my expectations. I was disappointed with the Catalina 275 as it resemblers a Columbia 26 of long ago. Perhaps cruising boats in Florida do it differently then we here in the Northwest.

Another interesting trend in these four boats is the white interiors--very spartan. I like modern but these seems to be pushing the envelope.

I'm still happy with my Hunter 27 with its cheery cherry interior (always wanted to write that ). So far no challengers on the horizon.

Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts, pictures and warm words. I hope you all have a very happy new year and that your sailing season be long with warm winds on your stern.

Take care.

Les

Mar 6, 2012
Hunter H33 (limited edition cabin top) Bayou Chico
les i will add my story for everyone else here, i think you and i have discussed it though i dont think i have put it all in one place on here yet.

my story has more background than some would prefer but please bear with me. i was born in oklahoma (1988) and grew up in a town called moore, just south of okc. i come from a homestead farming family and still have deep roots in the farmland of the central plains that make up the middle strip of oklahoma, i was raised on bench shooting, rifles, and depression era country comfort food. as the world turned to 2010 i was working in my dream job (aircraft mechanic) after moving to pensacola florida on a whim when i found a job in a small town called pace that is just north of pensacola. the job was at a little air strip community where a few people had carved out their dreams of having a house with a runway in front and they flew every day. it was heaven with beautiful sunrises and sunsets, and amazing pieces of flying history to work on. with the economic crunch still on locally atleast the little shop could not support me any longer, the owner however was nice enough to help me find a job. after a couple of months i landed a position at pensacola's navy base with an airforce contract and finally began making decent livable money for the first time in my life. i rented an apartment and moved out of my grandparents house whom i had lived with while i got things settled after moving from oklahoma and life was starting to look much more stable. after two years in the apartment things were good if a little bleak, bills eat up the paycheck and the rent is an unwavering reminder that i am throwing nearly 600 bucks/month at someone elses property and it will never do me any good in the long run. about this time i came home from work one day to find my world invaded. the glass door to the balcony had been levered open and there was pepper strewn about the living room as if a bucket of the stuff had exploded close to the door. nothing missing except the x-box 360 the power chords and one controller, all the games remained, tv untouched, kitchen and bedroom fine, motorcycle keys on the dining room table undisturbed next to my riding gear. it was the most petty, unintelligent crime i had seen in my life, later i was informed of who it was that had done it, a squatting hood rat from atlanta georgia was shacked up across the hall from me with his lady friend who was in the navy. a phone call to microsoft informed me that if i would just get the police to phone them that they could tell the officer in charge of the case exactly where my property was, not that the police would end up doing anything or caring at all. it was time for something to change.

stressed and feeling like i was looking at my life from the outside wondering if this was what adulthood was meant to be, just managing to exist and go to work, i was invited by my uncle to go sailing with a friend of his the next day. while we were out his friend (whom never stops talking) continuously asked me about my life, lets just say we were out there long enough for him to know a lot about me, and i to hear a lot about him. it baffled me at first that he lived on his 34 hunter at first but as the day wore on and we came back to the dock i could see the sense in it, we talked about finances and how life, and the inescapable bills, worked for a liveaboard. by the end of the day i was working my mind around his offer that i could buy his old 27ft hunter that was a hurricane survivor on a gentlemens handshake.

a few weeks went by and the lease was up on the apartment and the old 27 was ready to have me, it was april and the weather was phenomenal. i had dove head first into the internet for everything i could find about living aboard a sailboat, blogs and this site in general helped alot and i was now on my way, the boat was spartan since the friend had picked it up as a hurricane survivor that had rained full in its slip during ivan. the interior was largely ruined (not much to accoplish really on a 27 hunter) but compared to other boats i was soon exposed to of a similar size it was cavernous and the definition of independence. finally i owned something. my job seemed brighter and i looked forward to coming back home and the feeling of being on the water again, even if i spent most of my time in the slip just trying to clean the boat up. a week or two went by and it was time for my first trip, my uncle came out since i knew just enough to make the boat go with the sails. being an aircraft mechanic, the basics of sailing were natural for me, but i still needed help getting into and out of the slip.

i had sold or stored almost everything i owned and had almost nothing besides my clothes and a few books in the boat with me so with her outboard instead of the diesel she was light, i was soon to find out also that she was a tall rig and what that entailed. we eased out of bayou chico with my uncle and two of my friends for crew and proceeded to poke around pensacola bay. the wind was light but steady as we began and we practiced tacking and generally handling the boat on different points of sail. that tall rig is fast and we must have covered the bay end to end and side to side a dozen times that day, wind slowly building faster and faster we went, the boat loving the extra power as more was given. we quickly settled into a reach-run-beat pattern simply working the boat harder and harder as the wind mounted. with the ride becoming brisk yet still pleasant i was completely enamored with sailing, the bug was digging deep this first day, i could look down the companion way and see my bed, my cozy little home that was all mine, title in hand, as i relaxed and watched the bay slide by in a tropical pensacola spring. in the afternoon we noticed that the boat was beginning to move more in the waves, bobbing and tipping as the water became somehow disturbed, when someone finally vocalized this as we reached back to the south away from the port of pensacola i looked around away from my sail trimming study to finally notice the white caps that now carpeted the water. it suddenly struck me then that none of the power boats that were the only vessels i had known until a few weeks ago were out on the bay anymore, save for one lone fisherman, firewalled in about a 19 footer, he came close enough that we could see the boat attempting to remove his teeth by force every time he came back to the water from the previous wave. this was the life, we had quick cocktail while we finished the reach and turned to head north it was going to be a beat back home. as we hardened up we became aware that things had progressed and were now quite sporty, the boat heeled well into its secondary stability as we began to carve a path back home. things were still fine but there was obviously not much room for error, too new to the boat i had no reefing rigged to use, and only one jib to choose from, the outboard was useless in this chop and we were so close to home that it was make calm water or spend the night unprepared on the hook. check the anchor locker..........im new at this dear uncle.....friends start praying.....onward we beat it was home or......well.......home. now that i look back on this first experience i never thought about the options after i discovered the anchor locker to be barren. as we approached the cut into bayou chico and calm water we were suddenly hit by a puff, "EASE THE MAIN!" called my uncle. my feet were against the cabin trying to get the tortured sheet out of the 1980 jam cleat, no hope. "ITS NOT GOING TO COME LOOSE!" i said, resigned, my uncle simply said hold on. i had read about what was sure to happen, we were hard over on the rudder, and i leaned over the leeward cockpit coaming to watch the rail disappear beneath the waves. it was here that i truly fell in love with an old hunter that has no name, the boat slowly pointed up into the wind just a few degrees, the rail began to come back, the puff roared again with its waning fury as the rail and now the windows were awash, calmly i watched, cradled by my boat as the puff subsided and my uncle regained enough helm to comfortably feather us up and let me get the sheet live in my hand again. we tacked away and found the calm slick coming from bayou chico where we fired up the outboard and returned home, baptized by fire in pensacola bay, the 27 and i were one.

projects abounded on the 27 and cruising was opened up to me with friends and places to see, raft ups to be in. in retrospect it seems as though the boat demanded an admiral, beyond reason i had renewed contact with a former love and she became compelled by her own curiosity to move into the 27 with me and for almost two years we cruised and stored our beloved boat with no name.

just a few months ago we determined that the 27 was not going to be a long term living solution, the kitchen was nonexistent and the ride too tender with all of our stuff filling the interior. cruising had become a storage chore. the search began and after a fair bit of shopping and some good advice from our neighbor/mentor, we went to mandeville to look at a 1978 33 cherubini hunter. she was odd to behold in a hauntingly, feminine, out of place in her time way. she was like looking at a picture of led zeppelin standing together in glenn millers orchestra pit. obviously in a time of beauty and poise along side boats like the pearson 10 meter and other classic plastic of the kind, but she held a sex appeal, a feminine grace, it was mesmerizing. i still stop and stare every day when i get home. ballerina stole our hearts and showed us her spirit on the delivery trip, mistakes and oversight on our part and alot of zeal and plucky endurance from ballerina.

lastly the boat with no name has now been promised to a friend of ours who began to fall in love with her a year ago and will take possesion a year from now when he moves back to pensacola, work will begin soon to haul out the 27 for a fresh bottom and i well deserved drying out on the hard.

Les

May 8, 2004
Hunter 27 Bellingham, WA
Rufus,

Thank you for your story--fascinating. And interesting how a boat, like your Hunter 33, will strike our heart even when the brain does not agree. I hope you have a much fun on your 33 as we had on our 35.5. Almost the same boats. And remember to keep memories that will help you when you're my age.

My best to you.

Les

Apr 30, 2012
hunter 33 Manderville La
Morning Rufus, this is Richard (the previous owner of Ballerina) I was cleaning the carport and found the slide in screen for Ballerina. This one goes in the companion way. If you want it i can ship it over. Free of charge. Let me know
Richard

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Les, I must say this brought back a flood of memories. My first experience of sailing went back to when I was 12 and a friend took me out on his Sailfish. This was followed with a chance to join his family on their Pearson Ensign. While in High School I worked in a marina and had the opportunity to sail with a number of people on a variety of boats. None compared to the old cutter I bought for a few hundred. This old boat was a death trap looking for a victim. The cotton sails and various other maladies that afflicted it were exponential in their ability to develop. This old wooden gal needed nothing short of a full gale to move but provided 2 seasons of shear joy. Joining the Army I was fortunate to enjoy the operating of various landing craft, tugs and ships after completing the Operator of Harbor and Rivercraft courses necessary for me to take command. Couldn't do that in the Navy without college. Here I was able to take many an ocean voyage and discover how much I enjoyed just being away from it all. Upon my discharge I realized immediately that I had to have a boat. Down to the local yacht sales office and within a day I was the pround owner of a brand new 1978 Oday 22. I sailed the hell out of that thing and crisscrossed Lake Ontario so many times I was well known in many ports on both sides. This before the national paranoia set in and customs was a quick phone call. Selling Teazer to marry and raise a family in some semblence of normalcy was a relatively easy decision but always knowing that someday I would once again aquire a boat and sail again. When I saw YOT I knew that this was the boat that with time and patience would carry me if not across oceans at least back upon the water. Funny how sailing just gets in your system and the memories last a lifetime.

Jun 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Thunderbird
Thanks for the read. You are a very good writer.

I also started in a dinghy. At age 10 my parents purchased (see photo) a small dinghy. We lived on a pond and I spent the next 8 summers of my life (all day every day) sailing around that pond. We also took the dink on family vacations and I sailed it all over the lakes of Wisconsin.

In college I joined the schools sailing club... but graduate school and starting my career took me away from sailing for about 8 years.... but it was always my plan to get another boat. I talked my wife into letting me spend $1000 on an old MacGregor V21. It was in horrible shape... thus started my boat restoration hobby-life. Since then I've refurbished/restored

1) Macgregor V21
2) Coronado 23'
3) Coronado 25'
4) Macgregor V22-2
5) Coronado 26'
6) Rhodes 22' (in progress)

and I have a Hobbie 16' and a windsurferjust for kicks...
View attachment 71113 - Coronado 25'

View attachment 71114- Mac 22' (Smith Mountain Lake- SML)

View attachment 71115 - Mac 22' (Pamlico Sound)

View attachment 71116 - Balboa 26' (SML)

View attachment 71117 - Rhodes 22' (Back yard)

What a wonderful sickness...

Dink

Coronado 23' (SML)
I had a similar experience growing up. Now today I'm restoring a 1976 Catalina 22. I've picked up the bug for restoration and found the hobby I've only dreamed about in the past. Looking forward to completing this one sailing it and then going on the hunt for the next.