Recommend a Personal Locator Light

Sep 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Port Sanilac
Its long overdue that I replace my old personal locator light from the 90's. Its not a very glamorous piece of gear but an important one if you go for an unplanned swim. Price isn't an issue for a change...just looking for low profile design, 360 degree view, good lumens and battery life.

What say the crew?

Thanks

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The trouble with 99% of so-called 360 lights is that your body blocks 180 degrees of the light when you are in the water. The one that does not is the Spinlock Pylon, which mounts to your DeckVest (or other brand vests as well). It pops up on a flexy stalk to show 360 above your bobbin noggin.

Sep 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Port Sanilac
I saw that one. Whats the verdict? Looked a little gimmicky but I have to admit it was on my short list.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
ACR, water activated unit on the TOP of the inflatable life vest "bladder" inflator tube.

I've never had the unit in the water except to text the auto activation feature, fortunately.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
I always worry that a rarely used battery powered device won't work when needed. So besides a light I attach a chemical light stick to each life jacket. While much dimmer, they are plenty bright for a man overboard and last for more than 8 hours. I replace them every five years as they are only a few dollars each. Also remember a loud whistle. Most man-overboards happen in daylight when a light does no good. And it's very hard to see something only a few inches above the surface in any sea over 3ft.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I've never had the unit in the water except to text the auto activation feature, fortunately.
Maybe you are due for a summer splash. Never sure it will work when needed..
With the water temps up here neither have I, but I remember the Chesapeake Bay temps were quite nice. I was much younger then.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I see these float jac lights like victim recovery devices - allows someone to bring your remains home. So there is an ACR firefly flasher wire-tied to my inflator tube. For less than $20 USD you could do well with the ACR Hemilight. If you use an inflatable (you should) you have a ton of strap real-estate to holster a waterproof flashlight, tie a VHF, or strap a PLB, or, if your boat runs AIS, an ACR AIS linkMOB. I plan to buy two for the watch crew.