Real "Bluewater Water Boats"

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Which is probably why Don Street once told me that Bermuda is a 'gale magnet' and best avoided. Virginia schoolkids learn that Bermuda was discovered by colonists headed to Jamestown on a re-supply when Capt. Christopher Newport put his ship onto the rocks there. Heckuva way to discover an island.
As tough as it may be to get there, it is certainly a wonderful place to visit, if you are particularly flush when you go. And it does give you a wonderful angle on the trade winds if you are heading for the VI from there. For every nasty trip I've made to Bermuda, and that's all but one, the sail south from there has been a good, mostly fun, sail.
I really don't see the ten days to weather in the trades from the mid-Atlantic states as a better alternative, except during the time I'm getting beaten up on my way to Bermuda.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
They were lucky to survive that.
What I found most encouraging was what wasn't said. While he was futzing around making his improvised rudder the boat was taking care of them. Gotta admit if I were to embark on a transat I wouldn't hesitate to take YOT. Of course it has a few improvements over the factory version, most of all the new rudder. Taken a few shellackings here on Ontario. Stupid me didn't put on rain gear for one rotating thunderstorm with the winds reported by a ship that just passed in front of me at 69 knots.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
If you are looking for a true proven bluewater sailboat, look no further than here:

Plans are availble to build it yourself. Here is another photo with a little better detail:

Anything bigger is just a waste of wood and space.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Daveinet good looking LITTLE BOAT. Only challenge is you would need to drink sea water as not enough room for storage. Then you'd go stark raving bonkers and not finish the journey.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I'm not understanding who "Evan" is. I must be missing something. The article is about "Sean". The blog page is S/V Crystal Blues written by Neil & Ley. I think my head might explode until I can figure out where "Evan" appears in this picture! :what::what:
Scott. .. Try Google "Evans Starzinger "
Could this be your mystery man?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Anything bigger is just a waste of wood and space.
For a lot of us our boat is our home. I'm guessing that one is completely lacking the important things that make a boat a home.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Evans and Beth are serious long distance sailors. A very good friend of mine built the current boat they have- the steel one, in Fernandina Fla

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
The Triton, and the smaller version the Ariel are both in the "blue water" category, and I feel my Rhodes Meridian is also. She rates almost exactly the same as several other well known circumnavigators. The boat is certainly capable- I'm not so sure I am any more :)
Coincidentally:
The Triton and Ariel were built by Pearson Yachts, when it was owned by Clint Pearson and his cousin, prior to the selling of the company to Grumman. I believe the Triton was their first model.
Clint Pearson then created Bristol Yachts, including one of their first boats, the Bristol 27.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
@Daveinet good looking LITTLE BOAT. Only challenge is you would need to drink sea water as not enough room for storage. Then you'd go stark raving bonkers and not finish the journey.
Do you know the story behind that boat? Solo sail across the Atlantic. He only had 26 gallons of water, but also had plenty of fruit drinks as well. Took him 78 days. There is an interview they had with him at 70 days, and he stated he still had a month worth of food left, and 10 gallons of water. Some time ago his raw log was published on the internet. It was a very interesting read.
If you search Tinkerbell, you can find several articles and a few YouTube videos of interviews during the actual voyage.

Incidentally. I looked up April Fool. While the claim at the time was to be the smallest boat, that would certainly not be by displacement. It weighed twice what Tinkerbell weighed and appears to have much greater interior volume. Obviously there is significance to the feat of April Fool as it lacked directional stability, which would be based on length.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
It could be but the reference was confusing. 25yearslater wrote ... "People like Slocum, Graham, Mike Riley and now this fellow Evan come to the forefront and reinforce my belief that it is more often the person who has the wherewithall to begin an epic adventure and follow through rather than how much they spend on a boat." Then the article he posted was about a guy named Sean. The writer of the article is also not named Evan, so I was just wondering who is Evan. I'm guessing that 25yearslater intended to reference "Sean" not "Evan". Nitpicking? I guess ... ;)

Oct 22, 2014
@Daveinet . Thanks for the info. I found the website dedicated to him and his journeys.
Read the book review. Got the feeling he sailed because he was called not to prove anything special. Review mentioned he was lucky, Boat was not designed for such an undertaking, took 78 days.
Not a sail I choose to make. Interesting adventure though.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
11 foot long 'Yankee Girl', which crossed BOTH the Atlantic (79) and Pacific Oceans (81). Loaded with 1500 lbs of supplies, a lot of that water. Built and skippered by Minneapolis's own Gerry Spiess.

yankee.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
Just because you can does not mean your should.
I don’t feel I need to prove I can sail and survive in a minimal space.
I played in a 15 foot boat for 18 years. It was fun. Went to a variety of places. Reminded me of camping out in a pup tent when I was a Boy Scout.
Did that, now on to fun things.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Just because you can does not mean your should.
I don’t feel I need to prove I can sail and survive in a minimal space.
I played in a 15 foot boat for 18 years. It was fun. Went to a variety of places. Reminded me of camping out in a pup tent when I was a Boy Scout.
Did that, now on to fun things.
Oh for sure. While fascinating to observe from afar, I have no desire to set foot in one of these micro-boats.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Same here Jackdaw. Fascinating but I think most of us agree a bit of room isn't a bad thing.