Real "Bluewater Water Boats"

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Much has been written and discussed on what makes for a "Bluewater Boat." I personally trust which ones have done it rather than some industry group attempting to separate people from their hard earned treasure. People like Slocum, Graham, Mike Riley and now this fellow Sean come to the forefront and reinforce my belief that it is more often the person who has the wherewithall to begin an epic adventure and follow through rather than how much they spend on a boat. http://www.sail-world.com/news/200465

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
love the article. I think squid lures are especially important to take on a round the world trip. On the other hand, there are some pretty big squid out there. A small boat is a squid lure.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
When I first started a cattle operation I utilized the traditional method of moving them by horseback. With all of the modern technology utilized nowadays, this is not so common a practice. Therefore, I was extremely thrilled when I became acquainted with other riders interested in competing on horses to move cattle from one pen to another.

Upon my introduction to the Ranch Sorting National Championship environment I quickly realized two important facts;
  1. A properly bred and well trained horse is imperative if you desire to win,
  2. At least one (either the rider or the horse) needs to know what to do if you are going to be competitive.

I applied this philosophy to boats as well when I selected a 1963 Allied Seawind for my first blue water excursion.
I wanted a boat that would take care of me if I came up a little short in an area that required more experience.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Gee, a little soap and some elbow grease wouldn't be all that uncalled for, would it?
There's no excuse for a boat looking like that. It really detracts from his achievements, IMO.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Would a 27' Albin Vega be considered a bluewater boat? Matt Rutherford thought so when he sailed around the Americas:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Much has been written and discussed on what makes for a "Bluewater Boat." I personally trust which ones have done it rather than some industry group attempting to separate people from their hard earned treasure. People like Slocum, Graham, Mike Riley and now this fellow Evan come to the forefront and reinforce my belief that it is more often the person who has the wherewithall to begin an epic adventure and follow through rather than how much they spend on a boat. http://www.sail-world.com/news/200465
Actually, the Bristol 27 is a highly regarded blue water boat, especially in its day... and has made a number of circumnavigations. My neighbor boat for many years was a Bristol 27, cosmetically superior to the subject boat, but not equipped with the high end wind vane. A close look at the boat would reveal the oversize rigging, wide side deck with raised toe rail, small cockpit with large drains, low aspect rig, and enclosed prop in a full keel. It also had a fairly low freeboard. Back in those days they boats were built with solid fiberglass.
My neighbor related stories of the boat having spent a lot of time in the South Pacific with its previous owner... he himself regularly took it out past San Clemente Island on diving expeditions, mexico, channel islands etc. A very, very solid and seaworthy vessel.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Some people would say that the Bristol 27 is a "blue water" boat due to its design. Still, mustn't forget the old adage--"Even blind sow will pick up an acorn once in a while." In my opinion, a good skipper would not be sailing around in a boat so obviously in poor condition; the deck cluttered with "toys."

http://bluewaterboats.org/bristol-27/

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I'm not understanding who "Evan" is. I must be missing something. The article is about "Sean". The blog page is S/V Crystal Blues written by Neil & Ley. I think my head might explode until I can figure out where "Evan" appears in this picture! :what::what: :biggrin:

But in any case, I've read the 2 books written by James Baldwin about his circumnavigation on his 28' Triton named Atom and his subsequent voyage to Asia on Atom. I've also viewed his web page "Atom Voyages" and find him to be an amazing writer and communicator for a person who never had any interest in a formal education. He has to be incredibly intelligent as I find his writing to be superb. I'm not sure if he even completed high school, but as a 20-year old he had already been well on his way to some incredible experiences. I think he wrote his book long after completing the voyage. He documents the trip with such incredible detail, that he had to take amazing notes for his journal along the way. Either that, or he has an amazing imagination that leads to some great reading regardless!
Like this guy "Sean", Baldwin has a minimalist approach to adventuring around the world. It is inspiring!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
He documents the trip with such incredible detail, that he had to take amazing notes for his journal along the way. Either that, or he has an amazing imagination that leads to some great reading regardless!
This is a good reason for us all to keep a really good log book. For us, when ocean voyaging, we have a detailed account of the last 4 hours, every 4 hours from departure to arrival. When day sailing, like here in the Antilles, we keep a record (log entries) of every movement of the vessel and a detailed account of that movement, even if it is just to go to the dock for fuel or water. No need for much imagination.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
.People like Slocum, Graham, Mike Riley and now this fellow Evan come to the forefront and reinforce my belief that it is more often the person who has the wherewithall to begin an epic adventure and follow through rather than how much they spend on a boat.
If you read Slocum's book it should be evident that he probably spent a LOT of money on Spray inasmuch as he virtually rebuilt it before for taking off.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I'm not understanding who "Evan" is. I must be missing something. The article is about "Sean". The blog page is S/V Crystal Blues written by Neil & Ley. I think my head might explode until I can figure out where "Evan" appears in this picture! :what::what: :biggrin:

But in any case, I've read the 2 books written by James Baldwin about his circumnavigation on his 28' Triton named Atom and his subsequent voyage to Asia on Atom. I've also viewed his web page "Atom Voyages" and find him to be an amazing writer and communicator for a person who never had any interest in a formal education. He has to be incredibly intelligent as I find his writing to be superb. I'm not sure if he even completed high school, but as a 20-year old he had already been well on his way to some incredible experiences. I think he wrote his book long after completing the voyage. He documents the trip with such incredible detail, that he had to take amazing notes for his journal along the way. Either that, or he has an amazing imagination that leads to some great reading regardless!
Like this guy "Sean", Baldwin has a minimalist approach to adventuring around the world. It is inspiring!

Scott I agree about James. When I was heading up the east coast aboard my boat in 2010 we spent day with James and his wife Mei at their home. He showed me some of his projects. Quite a guy.

The Triton, and the smaller version the Ariel are both in the "blue water" category, and I feel my Rhodes Meridian is also. She rates almost exactly the same as several other well known circumnavigators. The boat is certainly capable- I'm not so sure I am any more :)

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I'm a firm believer that the sailor, not the boat, is the major factor in sailing blue waters. No boat is going to fair well if you take it into a major storm. A good sailor would not do that. Conversely, a good sailor will be able to avoid those things (storms, shallows, tidal currents,........) that would lead a "less than capable" boat getting into trouble.
Lots of folks have circumnavigated. They avoid major weather and do just fine. So learn to read weather maps and any boat you use should be fine. Remember sailing is not about having a schedule. If you have to get there by a certain time the you are not sailing, go by other means.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
While sailing across an ocean is a grand adventure it is but one test of a skippers ability. In part it is the ability to be alone for long periods and maintain sanity. Alone on an ocean is waking, eating, deciding where you think you are, checking the boat, repairing that which must be saved, eating, checking where you think you are, more and more of the same for 20 maybe 30 days. Try living in a one bedroom apartment stocked with food and bottled water with out TV or other electronic toys for 20-30 days and you will get a sense of the experience. A sense in that the apartment will be stable not in constant motion, and the weather will not be a life threatening challenge. Guess you could open all the windows to give yourself a bit of weather.

While this is the siren that calls some, sailing along coastal waters can be just as challenging. The fog of the Northeast, the surviving a Nor’easter. The tidal passages, storms and rocky shores of the Pacific NW. The storm season of the Gulf waters, crossing the Gulf Stream. The outer banks of the Carolinas. All of these coastal waters have sunk boats with ferocity that brings chills to a sailor when you think about the lonely experience a boat against Sea so close to port. As often as not it is the last 5 miles to shore that will make or break a journey.

So to address the question “A Real Bluewater Boat “ there are many that will make your passage, be it across an ocean or that last 5 miles to port, easier. Not all boats will make it safe. A good place to explore is the website bluewaterboats.org.

What is really important is the sailor and crew.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Conversely, a good sailor will be able to avoid those things (storms,
I'm sorry, but that's simply naive. Most cruising boats do less than 150 miles a day, on average, and many do a lot less. On a voyage of several thousand miles there is no way to avoid a developing tropical storm at those speeds, considering a tropical system can move at more than 15 knots (I was hit by one doing more than 22 knots, according to the forecast) at times.. I can't count the number of times over the years I've been struck by severe squalls at night, where the winds probably exceeded 80 knots. Even reefed down, that's a whole lot of force and pressure to put on any vessel, let alone one designed and built for harbour and coastal sailing, where weather forecasting can sort of be relied on.
On the simple, short trip of 650 miles from the NE to Bermuda, the Gulfstream in combination with the cold water flowing south from Arctic waters, can and often does create local weather that is very severe AND completely unforecastable. These may not be large systems, but I've personally had 70+ knots for several hours on that run, several times. The best weather router can't forecast these tiny storms and those not on a well built boats are the ones screaming at the top of their lungs for a get out of trouble free card from the USCG. It happens a lot on that run. I've heard some on the radio telling that they were in high winds and 30+' waves within a day of Bermuda, and none of it was forecast.
There are plenty of other places on this planet that are equally dangerous and unforecastable, and unavoidable, if one is circumnavigating, and going into these areas on a vessel that can't take the worst one could expect is just plain foolhardy.
People do get lucky and we see that every day in all walks of life. But to say it is all about the skipper is not a valid statement. There almost always comes a time, if one spends enough time out on the deep blue, when the skipper (and crew) are done. Worn out, weary to the bone, and in need of sleep. That's when it is the boat's turn to stand up to whatever weather or situation she is in, and care for her crew.
Satori.jpg

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
It's curious that Dave mentioned Robin Lee Graham in his opening post. Certainly he followed thru in his commitment to sail around the world, but it's also clear that he hated it for almost the entire trip. In fact, it was so unbearable that he really didn't even want to complete it. He was anxious to quit long before he crossed the Atlantic. As you read his book, there is an undercurrent of understanding that he completed the trip out of a sense of obligation to National Geographic and his father ... and he grew to almost despise his father for it. They only reconciled years later. He doesn't seem to have any interest in sailing ever since he set foot ashore, moving to the mountains in Montana, instead. I'm sure he is grateful that the experience seemed to help him get along in life, but he doesn't appear to want anything to do with sailing, does he?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
On the simple, short trip of 650 miles from the NE to Bermuda, the Gulfstream in combination with the cold water flowing south from Arctic waters, can and often does create local weather that is very severe AND completely unforecastable.
Which is probably why Don Street once told me that Bermuda is a 'gale magnet' and best avoided. Virginia schoolkids learn that Bermuda was discovered by colonists headed to Jamestown on a re-supply when Capt. Christopher Newport put his ship onto the rocks there. Heckuva way to discover an island.