Raymarine ST 60 Replacements

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 30 MKIII TR Roosevelt Lake, AZ
My 1996 MKIII has the Autohelm 4000 which works well. There is a Raymarine ST 60 Wind display with a Rotovecta on the masthead. It has ST 60 Speed/Depth instruments. Neither the wind or speed instruments work. Having replaced all my halyards when the mast was down, I can figure out how to replace the wiring inside the mast while installing a new wind unit on top. I'm not sure about how to get to and through the deck fitting inside the mast? I think I can gain access by taking out the jib halyard blocks at the base of the mast. Will the the newer instruments work with current ST 60 wire plug inside the mast? Does the ST 60 speed through hull match the newer ones? Our lake in Arizona has minimal services so taking the mast down is a major project using a forklift as a fulcrum point. I'll do it that way as a last resort. Happy new year and thanks to the group for advice over the last few years. Tim

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Yes the ITC5 can connect to existing wind / depth and water speed sensors and give N2K output ( with appropriate cables)

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
I would assume that the problem is not in the cables?

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
first step would be to check the wiring from top of mast to the display I had 1 wire broken caused a problem that made st60 to fail. If you want to change out the instruments and don't want the have the wire problems look at wireless but Raymarine and Garmin have them.

Jun 2, 2004
Thanks all. All of the instruments power up. The wind display shows a wrong wind direction and it is fixed and does not vary in direction. The display does not respond to the buttons when pressed. The Rotovecta spins in the wind. I've tried calibrating the wind display on the water to no effect. I don't like the wind instrument display itself as it is very dated and would prefer something like the i-60. The combo depth/speed display itself works. The depth sounder is accurate. The speed/trip data does not display. I don't recall if it shows only zeros. I've cleaned the paddle wheel to no effect. I'll check the wind transducer and cable per the link above. The boat is 2 hours away so I will check back after next weekend. Cheers, Tim

Jun 2, 2004
Thanks all, the Rotovecta has power and checks out per the test procedure mentioned above. I'll start by replacing the wind instrument and let you know how it goes. Regards, Tim

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Here is a test procedure to determine if your speed transducer is functioning.

Testing the Speed Sensor:

Verify that the transducer’s paddle wheel is free of marine growth and rotates freely on its shaft

Power down the instrument

Disconnect the GREEN and SHIELD transducer leads from the instrument display or instrument pod.

Connect a multimeter to the GREEN and SHIELD transducer leads and configure the multimeter to measure continuity or resistance.

Slowly rotate the transducer paddle wheel by hand. Note that as the paddlewheel is rotated, the multimeter should alternate between an open circuit and a closed circuit with each quarter turn. As such one complete revolution of the paddle wheel should open and close the circuit four times.

Should the multimeter respond as indicated above, then the speed sensor element of the transducer would be deemed functional. If not, then the transducer has failed and should be replaced.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Try power the units without the seatalk connected. I had the same problem but it was with the AP an all the others would lock up.