Raymarine autopilot for h410

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
I spoke with Edson and the gentleman was very nice. Provided great info. Unfortunately they do not sell any of the parts I needed. As mentioned before on this thread McMaster Carr sells gears. I looked them up and they do have what is needed for the type 1 rotary drive. 13 tooth for the drive and 38 tooth for the steering. Now I am wondering if I can get away with the type 1 drive for a hunter 410. My boat list a displacement of 20,200 lbs. That is within the high limits of the type 1 drive of 22,000 lbs. for my boat. The questions is that too close for this drive? If I move to the type 2 my original decision than the gears are an issue again. I can't find a 57 tooth gear. These numbers are direct from the Raymarine install manual. See pic. Can I substitute the 57 tooth gear for a 58 or 56? I don't have enough knowledge or understanding to determine if so. Plus the steering gear must fit into this area on the pedestal. see pic.

Thank you
Jim
My original type 1 drive lasted 16 years of hard work! The replacement has now sailed 2000+ miles and in seas over 20' with wind 40+ and it was just fine).
I have a spare type 1 rotary gear drive (no gears of chain) for sale that has 2 hours on it and still has 2 years left on the warranty that I will sell for $1,000 (way below what you can find a new one for)

Jim D

Dec 10, 2007
Hunter 410 Maryland
Yes. I can't argue that it would be more prudent to choose the type 2 drive. Cost difference is only around 300 on the drive. The core does add up but if type 1 drive can't deliver than money is not well spent. Ok than back to finding the steering gear. At boat now measuring. In Annapolis so maybe find a raymarine shop who could answer question on teeth count on steering gear.
Journey continues.....
Jim

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
If you upgrade the drive to a Type 2, you will need to upgrade the control unit to handle the load; from ACU-200 to ACU-400, for example.

Jul 25, 2023
Hunter 410 Duluth
If anyone is still following this thread... Wondering where on the 410 you mounted the ACU unit? Manual says requires vertical mounting below decks in a dry spot. I am wondering if the inside wall of the cockpit console (across from the rotary drive) would be dry enough?

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
If anyone is still following this thread... Wondering where on the 410 you mounted the ACU unit? Manual says requires vertical mounting below decks in a dry spot. I am wondering if the inside wall of the cockpit console (across from the rotary drive) would be dry enough?
On the bulkhead in the aft berth.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
My steering was damaged and I had to rebuild mine.

The Controller is protected, shown by Arrow.

FixAP.jpeg

Out of weather when the drink hold cover is put back.

Jim...