Raritan Elegance and Electroscan questions

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Hello all,

I am looking at a boat that has the Electrascan and Raritan Elegance MSD system. I know almost nothing about this setup and have a few questions.

There is no holding tank, how does one use this system when in a marina? The obvious answer to me is "don't". How do users deal with this practically? Install a holding tank? Hold it until you're out of the marina? Use the shore facilities?

What are the main things to look for when purchasing a boat with this system? Would a surveyor know what to look for regarding proper installation? If not, what should he be directed to?

Thanks you in advance for your contributions of time and expertise to this forum.

Mike

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I am looking at a boat that has the Electrascan and Raritan Elegance MSD system. I know almost nothing about this setup...

First you need to know how they work and how to maintain them so you'll know what you'd be getting if you buy this boat. The Rariitan (mfr for both devices) website is the best place the start: Raritan Marine Elegance Raritan ElectroScan

There is no holding tank, how does one use this system when in a marina?

The Marine Elegance is a toilet...any marine toilet can be used anywhere. The only thing at issue is the flush FROM a toilet. So we're only talking about the ElectroScan, which is a Coast Guard Certified Type I MSD (treatment device. The discharge of treated waste from USCG certified device is legal in most coastal waters, even in marinas except for few misguided ones who think that forcing boats to hold flushes that are cleaner than the water in any marina is "doing the right thing." Treatment devices are also legal on most navigable INTERstate waterways (rivers). If otoh the boat will be on any inland lake, a holding tank is the only legal option...you'd have to add one, in which case you'd prob'ly be better off replacing the ElectroScan with a tank instead of adding a tank to the system.

What are the main things to look for when purchasing a boat with this system?

Does the toilet work? Does the ElectroScan work? The owners manuals for both devices provide the information needed to check each.

Would a surveyor know what to look for regarding proper installation?

Any competent surveyor should know how any toilet should be installed and how to test it. The ElectroSan is another matter. Running the ElectroScan without water or without sufficient salt will damage it..so if possible, it would be a good idea if both you and the seller were aboard during the survey, 'cuz buyers (and sometimes surveyors too!) can learn a lot from sellers about how things work...and the surveyor can make sure they're in good working order.

What is this boat (make/model/age)? Where is it now...and where would your home port and cruising waters be?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I'd say the odds are good that the toilet and treatment device are properly installed and in good condition.

And also that you'll be able to use the ElectroSan more than not. There's been a move afoot to make Puget Sound a NDZ ("{no discharge zone'), but the San Juan Islands will likely become your favorite cruising grounds and the discharge of treated waste is legal in those waters.

Please feel free to contact me directly via email if I can help you in any way.

Oct 29, 2006
Beneteau 381 Olympia, WA
Hey Mike, we have a Beneteau and had that combination of head gear for over 6 years now and love it.

We have the Elegance with a simple button panel and explaining that to kids and adult passengers is WAY simpler than the pumping so thumbs up for that.

ElectroSan is a wonderful device and I hope they do not make the Puget sound no discharge, mostly because I feel the ElectroSan is simple enough to make reliable and I've heard many stories of "just too full of a tank" and so it goes overboard untreated.... :eek:/

In these years we've had one episode where my original install was flawed but an extra vented loop and maintenance on the other should give me years of reliable service, make sure all the vented loops are in place and according to Raritan manual.

Only reason I'd hesitate on the system now is the NDZ proposal, if you already have it I'd say go for it but get the previous owner to run thru it with you. Also ask if they have the old tank, I saved mine just in case I have to reinstall.... Though I might go to composting if I lose my ElectroSan.