Raritan electroscan question

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Yes...and no. All non-navigable intra-state inland lakes--iow, they're wholly contained within the boundaries of a single state, and they only way to get a boat on or off is launch ramp or a hoist--are "no discharge" waters..which means holding tanks only, no treatment devices of any kind.

However, treatment IS legal on almost all the navigable interstate waterways (rivers), including dammed "lakes" on them.

I see you're in KY...if you're asking about Kentucky Lake or Lake Cumerland, they ARE part of a navigable interstate waterway system, making treatment devices legal on them. But I'd go with the PuraSan Raritan Purasan EX , which is designed for use in fresh water, instead of the ElectroScan which needs salt.

Jun 19, 2015
Hunter 34 KY
With the boat out of the water now I have removed the holding tank and all waste lines. I am seriously considering the Purasan EX and am wondering if it has a vent (saw no mention in installation literature)? If it does not won't the line stay full of black water to the bottom of the vented loop before it spills over the loop and discharges thru the seacock?
I would like to keep my manual toilet (for now) and continue to flush with lake water if that is not an issue.
Thanks in advance.
Rudy

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Nope...no vent in a PuraSan or Electroscan... Waste comes into it via the fitting on the side of it, is pushed out the the fitting on the top. It's a two chamber device...incoming flush comes into the first chamber, pushes an equal amount of waste into the second chamber...which pushes treated waste over board. The amount discharged is equal to the amount that comes in--which needs to be limited to a max of 1.5 gal...so there shouldn't be any left sitting in the discharge line to the top of the loop. I've never heard of that happening. Over filling just means waste goes out before it's had time to be treated.

No problem using a manual toilet--ANY toilet--with it...just don't get carried away flushing in the wet mode to rinse the bowl. Adding water to the bowl with a cup from the sink will leave the bowl a lot cleaner, whether the flush is going into a treatment device, a tank or directly overboard where legal.

Jun 19, 2015
Hunter 34 KY
Somebody once said there are no stupid questions... So I would like to know if it is possible (and legal) to configure a system where most of the time I can use a holding tank and pump out AND have the option to use a Purisan MSD on extended trips when pump out might not be readily available (or in a NDZ). This is rather long term planning but I only want to redo the waste system once. Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Yes, it's possible...However, IMO a PuraSan is too expensive to use only rarely. If you're on Cumberland or KY Lake, or anywhere on the river, a PuraSan may be legal for use almost all time, requiring on a small tank for use in a well meaning but misguided marina that thinks requiring boats to hold instead of treat is "doing the right thing.'

Jun 19, 2015
Hunter 34 KY
I am on KY Lake and the crew at Lighthouse Landing THE BEST. They do not require a holding tank in order to use a PuraSan. My interest in having a dual system is for long term planning. I wish to install a new holding tank for use now AND have the space and planning to install a PuraSan (or ElectroSan) in the future when we sail away and may encounter NDZ areas. Sorry if I am confusing about my intentions.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You're not confusing me...you want to do it backwards--install a tank that don't need now and wait to install the treatment device that you could use now.

It appears that YOU'RE confused about where you can use a treatment device...they are NOT legal in NDZs...NDZ stands for NO Discharge Zone...which means that toilet waste must only go into a holding tank and held for pumpout. So you'd waiting to install a treatment device for use in waters where you wouldn't be able to use it.
Install the PuraSan now...the tank when you're ready to leave for parts unknow.