raising the boom on hunter legend37

Jan 30, 2017
Hunter legend 37 na
I haven't bought my boat yet, but already anticipating upgrades. So has anyone raised their boom for whatever reasons. Did you shorten the sail and how much? Did it make much difference on sailing in light winds. I'm really thinking of having a arch fabricated and moving the traveler fairly quickly after purchase

Feb 17, 2013
Hunter 380 Port Clinton, Ohio
I haven't bought my boat yet, but already anticipating upgrades. So has anyone raised their boom for whatever reasons. Did you shorten the sail and how much? Did it make much difference on sailing in light winds. I'm really thinking of having a arch fabricated and moving the traveler fairly quickly after purchase
Maybe buy a Hunter 380. It has the arch you are wanting.

Jan 30, 2017
Hunter legend 37 na
Two big items are price, and proximity. Looks like the 380s are at least 25000 more than the boat im looking at, More than i want to spend and the one i'm looking at is very close to the lake I sail on. I also like the layout of the 37. supposed to be getting the survey done on the 16th.

Dec 29, 2012
Hunter 37 Jacksonville
Riversloth,

I considered raising the boom only because I wanted a bimini. The standard one wouldn't fit under. I had seen several other boats that had raised the boom I think for the same reason. However I had a triangle cut out of the main instead which gave me room for the bimini. The main is HUGE so I wasn't concerned about losing the sq footage.

You may want to give some time on the traveler before you change it. I too was not happy with the location. But frankly it works much better than I thought. It is recessed so you can walk on it without any problem. You do have to pull it off to the side some to get in and out. The really nice thing is that single handing is really convenient with the default. Very close and easy to use.

Dec 29, 2012
Hunter 37 Jacksonville
By the way we are very happy with the boat. Also check on arches from Atlantic Tower. When the budget allows that will be my arch.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
My recollection of sailing the H37 was how well it sailed under main alone, making it a very easy boat to singlehand. Maybe sail it for a while before you start monkeying with the design intent.

Dec 18, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Annapolis
Riversloth,
If you do this please post pictures and talk about how it worked out. I've been thinking of doing the same thing, but it looks like I'd have to raise the aft end of the boom 18" to get headroom under the arch and clearance for the main sheet blocks.

Jan 30, 2017
Hunter legend 37 na
Thanks for the replies. I will probably push the arch down on the list and do as suggested and sail it as is at first.
Actually first I need to buy the boat. Survey this thursday

Dec 29, 2012
Hunter 37 Jacksonville
Riversloth,

You are right on with the 18 inches. That's exactly the amount I took out of the leech down to nothing at the mast.

Added benefit is that I can easily stand under it now.

Dave

Jan 30, 2017
Hunter legend 37 na
Thanks to all. unfortunately I will not be buying the boat. Everyone i've called will not finance a boat over 10 years old.