1. Welcome to the new Cruising Sailors Forum, for experienced sailors and cruisers. 2009-2016 forum archive is now online.

Quick question..halyard slapping in nearby boat, in marina.

Discussion in 'Cruising Sailors' started by genec, May 27, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. genec

genec

Joined Dec 30, 2010
    188 posts, 57 likes
    Pacific Seacraft Orion27
    US HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
    Do you put up with this noise? Knowing it could be damaging their boat... and certainly your vibe.

Do you dare climb aboard to secure a halard?

2. BruceB1

BruceB1

Joined Mar 28, 2017
    48 posts, 43 likes
    American Tug 395
    US Newport
    I suppose my answer is “it depends”.
    I certainly have done it myself. Not when the owner is aboard though. I witnessed a situation like that unfold once and it was not good!
    Bruce

3. All U Get

All U Get

Joined Oct 2, 2008
    2,985 posts, 641 likes
    Pearson/ 530
    US Strafford, NH
    Tell the dockmaster.

4. Don Lucas

Don Lucas

Joined Jan 12, 2011
    802 posts, 38 likes
    Hunter 410
    US full time cruiser
    I used to go "fix" a couple of boats halyards, over and over and over. When I left to become a full time cruiser I had to fight the urge to go and 'really" fix them before leaving.

Gene Neill likes this.
  5. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    4,790 posts, 2,788 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    I would never go onboard someone else's boat just for my desire for peace and quiet. If I saw imminent danger or serious damage being done, that is different. I would cross the deck of another boat to tie-off, in certain situations, rafting at a marina (Had to walk across three fishing boats to get to shore in Nova Scotia), or fuel dock (Had a pretty ugly incident once with a converted PT boat in Gibraltar. That's a story for another time.), for example.
    Leave a message on the boat or with the marina that suggest they would avoid wear and tear on their halyard and mast by putting a pad between them and it would keep down on the noise as well.
    I would, however, welcome anyone to come aboard and fix my halyard. I do not want to be the one whose halyard is keeping the marina awake at night. I like the sound is a softly slapping halyard in a stiff breeze. I hate the sound of one that just rings out because it isn't tensioned enough or the mast has just the right resonance to really make some noise.

-Will (Dragonfly)

danstanford likes this.
  6. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    9,614 posts, 4,317 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Start with communication. The dock master. The boat owner. Talk about line chafe not just the irritation of the noise. A cheap bungee cord is quick and effective.

7. thinwater

thinwater

Joined Mar 26, 2011
    2,350 posts, 577 likes
    Corsair F-24 MK I
    US Deale, MD
    I wouldn't hesitate and would appreciate you fixing mine (if I forgot).

They left a nuisance by not properly securing their boat, giving up any right to strict no trespass.

Another possibility, for many fair weather sailors, is that they do not know. They are never at the boat when there is enough wind. It probably was not slapping when they left. When they see it tied up correctly they may learn.

Alansails likes this.
  8. rgranger

rgranger

Joined Jan 19, 2010
    6,426 posts, 1,786 likes
    Hunter 26
    US Lake Martin AL
    On and off in 20 seconds... why not
    And that is your answer if you get busted.

Alansails and Will Gilmore like this.
  9. Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Joined Mar 1, 2012
    1,750 posts, 711 likes
    1961 Rhodes Meridian 25
    us Texas coast
    I'll always tie off a slapping halyard- figure it's a courtesy

Alansails likes this.
  10. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    4,790 posts, 2,788 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    It is a courtesy. It is also generally good seamanship to leave one's vessel tidy and secure. Slapping halyard are sloppy seamanship. However, lines stretch, they get rained on and dried out by the Sun, just because it looked secure when you left the dock doesn't mean it will always remain so. $#!+ happens and a slapping halyard doesn't mean the owner isn't a good sailor who doesn't care.
    While I know I'd want someone to secure my halyard for me, I don't know the other guy would feel the same way. My take on the golden rule is act according to the general idea that if I didn't want someone to take liberties with my wishes, don't take liberties with what might be theirs. They can come aboard and adjust my halyard, I know I would approve, but I won't return the favor without knowing what they would want.

- Will (Dragonfly)

jmce1587 likes this.
  11. genec

genec

Joined Dec 30, 2010
    188 posts, 57 likes
    Pacific Seacraft Orion27
    I thought about securing it. The halyard is still attached to the main, and just slapping the mast like a jockey trying to win the crown. The whole length of the halyard is just bowing out and snapping back, with the lightest breeze. When the breeze freshens, it's hell bent for leather.

I started to climb aboard, and it just felt wrong, so I backed away. Hope they don't incur much damage.

So easy to do properly. Sigh.

Thanks folks for the opinions.

12. Jacktar

Jacktar

Joined Sep 14, 2014
    804 posts, 368 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Pensacola, Florida
    Yep, pass the word to the marina operator, stay off their boat, too easy to get blamed for something later and you really have no defense anyway.

13. Captain Larry-DH

Captain Larry-DH

Joined Jun 14, 2010
    795 posts, 436 likes
    Quorning Dragonfly 1200
    US home
    I’d drop the mast and re-rig the boat for internal halyards. The owner would be pleasantly surprised.

ToddS and Will Gilmore like this.
  14. DArcy - Islay Mist

DArcy - Islay Mist

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    380 posts, 337 likes
    C&C 27 MkII
    Ca Ottawa
    How about leaving a note. Anonymous or not, your choice. I've seen notes in zip lock baggies stapled around life lines to withstand the weather. You could even write it in a supportive and helpful way, or nasty and condescending if that's more your style :)

15. genec

genec

Joined Dec 30, 2010
    188 posts, 57 likes
    Pacific Seacraft Orion27
    Boat already has internal halyards... running up, inside the mast, and then down, outside the mast, to the mainsail.

So, no mast change required... just an owner willing to detach the halyard from the mainsail, when said sail is flaked and stored on the boom.

16. chrischesley

chrischesley

Joined Feb 14, 2017
    29 posts, 17 likes
    Mainecat 38
    US Anacortes
    Just fix it already! 3 minutes work. What's he going to do? Call the police?

Kings Gambit, Alansails and jssailem like this.
  17. Alansails

Alansails

Joined Oct 3, 2011
    650 posts, 113 likes
    Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155
    US Lake Erie/Catawba Island
    We stay aboard our boat virtually most of the summer, when we are Not sailing, so when weekenders come and go and leave the slapping halyards on our pier or near us, there is a couple of us that have no problem securing them and generally telling them or they know it was us and apologize and return bungee cords that were used!

18. Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Joined Mar 1, 2012
    1,750 posts, 711 likes
    1961 Rhodes Meridian 25
    us Texas coast
    yep. Also depends on what time of night it is and how hard the wind is blowing :)

19. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    4,790 posts, 2,788 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    rry es

20. thinwater

thinwater

Joined Mar 26, 2011
    2,350 posts, 577 likes
    Corsair F-24 MK I
    US Deale, MD
    Yes. They created a public nuisance. Otherwise, this thread would not exist.

And I would not feel "busted." THEY are the ones that made an unseamanlike error. I would explain very politely that the slapping halyard was chaffing and that as a good neighbor, I felt a duty to prevent damage. This is also true. Many sailors don't know their halyards slap, since they aren't around when it is windy. I learned to secure mine properly after someone secured mine. I felt embarrassed, not violated, and I never made that mistake again. So I learned from it.

Kings Gambit, Rick D and rgranger like this.

Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Sunbrella lifesling covers
Any color, fits over existing bag to match your existing canvas.
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates