Purchasing advice

Jan 23, 2015
catalina catalina22 Trailer
Bottom condition is important. I spent a long time repairing blisters,delaminations in my hull.The early years of catalina the quality of resin was not as good but it cant be blamed all on catalina. The PO left my boat in the water for long periods without maintaining a barrier coat. The great advantage of the c22 is having a trailer and being able to maintain the boat yourself. These guys are giving you great advice ,plenty out their on trailers to buy at a good price. That way you can inspect the bottom before handing over your hard earned money. If you decide to buy a boat without a trailer, it will cost you more later down the road to purchase a trailer. Great advantage of the c22 with trailer is the freedom to choose where to splash the boat from one weekend to another. Good luck

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Swing keels do not appreciate long term immersion in salt. I wouldn't commit to taking such a boat for FREE without pulling it for an inspection of the keel and all its components. It is the heart and soul of the vessel.
+1

If the keel fails the boat sinks, and you have a cleanup on your hands.
Raising a boat that sank in a marina is mandatory, and not cheap. EASILY exceeding the value of a C22.
Being able to trailer and easily change your cruising grounds is great, and not being tied to marina expense is even better, IMO.
+1

Get a trailer.
1) That way the boat won't be in salt water all the time.
2) You can haul it north on the highway faster than any sailboat can go.
3) Makes it easy to work on the boat, without needed a boatyard.
IMO, The whole point of a C22 is being able to trailer it. All of it's compromises are there for that exact reason. It's a trailerable boat.

2K plus another 2K to bring her up to snuff is still 4K and lost sailing time. 4K initially for a turn key vessel that you can sail immediately would seem a lot cheaper in the long run.
Bingo.

There is no such thing as a cheap sailboat. Reasonably Inexpensive compared to others maybe… cheap… no.
If anything fails on the water, you have big problems on your hands. Especially so in tidal waters like the B.C. coast. If you haven't already…. take some training classes from someone on the coast like I did. Otherwise you'll be calling mayday and putting yourself and others at risk in no time. I see it every time I'm sailing on the coast.

FWIW: Contrary to what others have said, unlike a bigger boat, an unrepairable C22 can be fairly easy to get rid of, IF you have a trailer.
You may be able to drive to the dump and unload it, then sell the trailer. People do that here. (Though, I'm not sure if you can do that in Nanaimo. It may have some very goofy garbage infrastructure, likely done by a private company owned by the local mayor. Like Langford etc.)

Keep in mind that sailboat values vary a lot between the USA and Canada.
There are regional differences due to supply/demand, and the type of sailing available in that region.
For example, here in the prairies my C22 trailerable boat has the same value as a nice Tanzer 26 in the slip next door.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
1978, in the water in Canada, no trailer and the asking price is $2K? Red Flags all around... I wouldn't even bother looking at it.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
1978, in the water in Canada, no trailer and the asking price is $2K? Red Flags all around... I wouldn't even bother looking at it.
He's a hardhead - he already bought it, and we're congratulating him. I think it will be a great boat, and a lot of good times. A man knows his boat when he sees it... we've all had the feeling I bet-

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
We've ignored pretty much everyone's input and bought ourselves a boat-load of problems. Probably, anyway.
Any my apologies to anyone that I've offended by doing exactly the opposite of what was suggested.
No problem on either. Enjoy the boat. Advice is free and worth every penny. To paraphrase a frequent mantra around here - It's your money, your choice.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Everybody has a first boat, like a new girlfriend, take her out and see what she will do. The forum is here to provide advice and sometimes information on what not to do too. Good luck and fair winds.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The education this boat will give you can't be bought any other way. It is virtually priceless. You'll have fun, and be better sailors for it.
:thumbup:

- Will (Dragonfly)